Samlex PST-1500-12 grounding?

gashog301
gashog301 Registered Users Posts: 4
Thinking of getting this inverter for backup power, Im going to have it hardwired at the inverter to a 125v 30a plug to a transfer switch. The switch powers some lights,fridge,tv's nothing super power hungry. Im confused about grounding it, could anyone help me out? By the way I have two Exide RF-31D ROADFORCE AGM-200 batteries with a morningstar 30a charge controller with 2 270w 24v panels. Im very new to this and could you explain like I was in 1st grade? :D

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Samlex PST-1500-12 grounding?

Welcome to the forum.

So the usual question around grounding is: are you talking about connecting the inverter's ground lug to ground or the issue of tying its neutral output to ground?

In the case of the former it's wire-to-wire easy. In the case of the latter it depends on where the N-G bond is to begin with: before or after the circuitry that gets changed with the transfer switch. And some of that depends on what is used for a transfer switch, as it may be a case of switching hot only in which instance the neutral and ground remain bonded and connected to all other neutrals and grounds regardless of the position of the transfer switch.

Okay, not quite first grade level but Dick and Jane weren't electrical contractors and all they had to worry about was spotting Spot and the ball. :D
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

Sorry for not replying to your post/question earlier... This is not a simple question and takes a bit of time to type up a clear answer.

First... Why we ground.

1. We ground so that no piece of metal can become energized with respect to other metal. I.e., you don't want to get a shock when holding an electric mixer while touching the kitchen faucet (I remember back around 1960--When using my Mom's mixer, getting shocked doing exactly that).

2. We ground so that if any "hot" electrical wire touches a large piece of metal (kitchen sink, electrical wiring box, gas fueled heater/stove, short circuit inside a metal electric drill, etc.), that instead of energizing the metal, the current will be carried back to the breaker panel and trip the breaker and prevent shock/fire from current finding "other paths".

3. Grounding to that the maximum voltage on the wiring does not exceed the 120 VAC rating (US/North America). If there was a lightning strike or a cross between the high voltage (12,000 volts or higher) and the 120/240 voltage wiring on the pole, the grounding of the 120/240 wiring will prevent the voltage from exceeding 120 VAC inside your home (of course, it is not perfect, you can still get "surge current" for fraction of a second, and lightning does not follow "normal" rules for current flow--But is it better than not doing that).

4. Grounding is required by a few devices to operate correctly. Some tube type florescent fixtures need grounding of the metal fixture so they start reliably (florescent lights are a form of "arc light" and need to start an arc--the grounding helps that happen). Also some types of ignition systems (spark ignition systems for some gas stoves/water heaters) use the grounded neutral to properly sense if the flame is burning or not.

5. Some power systems use ground as one of the current conductors... Specifically, autos, trucks, RV's etc. use the metal chassis of the vehicle as the "return line" for their 12/24 volt systems. This makes for even more confusion as many/most RV's are metal skin but wood construction inside--So electrical fixture/devices still need a ground wire too.

6. Single point grounding of the AC neutral, typically at the main power panel, also allows us to use GFI outlets (ground fault interrupter). Basically the way a GFI works is there is a small "current transformer" wrapped around the AC "Hot" + "Neutral" (Black and White wires). A CT measures the "difference" in current flow between the Hot and the Return wire. In normal operation all current that flows "out" the black wire" is balanced exactly by the return current in the "white or return" wire. All is good. If there is current flow from the black wire to "ground" (green wire, water in pool or sink, etc.), this causes current to flow in the CT coil and "trips" or turns of the AC voltage to the load. Hopefully preventing you from getting electrocuted. If the neutral is connected both at the AC panel and the load (aka ground loop), you may prevent the GFI from detecting the small AC current (0.005 amps will "trip" the GFI), or it will cause the GFI to trip on its own. Note I don't like to use a single GFI outlet on the output of the AC inverter for an RV application. A valid GFI trip (drop a mixer in the sink) will turn off all power from the inverter--And plunge the RV into darkness (if using AC lighting). It is better to have a GFI outlet at each point of use--Will not turn off all power at once, and make it easier to isolate the fault (inside at sink, outside when using power tools, etc.).

So, that is why we ground. In most cases, the appliance will operate just fine without grounding, and many smaller/portable electrical systems (AC inverters, small generators, etc.) do not even ground the AC neutral. Larger systems will usually ground the AC neutral to the metal frame/case of the AC generating device. Which can cause problems.

The problem is called a "ground loop". Generally, you do not want the electrical power to have two parallel paths for current flow. Various reasons for this include--Metal door + device mounted to door--Electrical flow through the hinge can ruin hinge (or bearings such as on a boat propeller shaft) by spot welding the sliding portions or causing corrosion (electrolysis). It is also not a very good electrical connection.

Ground wires are intended to be a second current path to only be used in an "emergency". If you have two parallel paths, you will not know if one path "breaks" until the second path breaks--Then things are "not safe".

Another issue especially common with AC + DC systems... Remember that Power=Voltage*Current. At 120 VAC, 5 amps is not "Big deal". Power=120V*5A=600Watts. However, if that is power drawn from a 12 VDC powered inverter, the DC current path needs to support more than 50 amps (P=12V*50A=600Watts). So, if you have multiple ground connections between AC and DC power systems (aka a ground loop), it is possible for your AC grounding system (using 14-12 AWG wiring--designed for 15-20 Amps maximum) can be overheated by the 50+ amps flowing through the DC side of the power system (parallel ground/return path). That is one of the major "problem" with ground loops.

In a home--We do AC Neutral Grounding by connecting the AC Neutral to Electrical Box Ground and to the Ground Rod/cold water pipes in one place--Inside the main electrical panel.

In a portable power system, we do that by grounding the AC Generator Neutral to the Metal Frame/Vehicle Frame (if RV/vehicle with metal frame). We generally do not tie metal frame to a ground rod unless this is a fixed system (say trailer home). Earth grounding is only a "good idea" if there is lightning in the area and this is a fixed installation (piece of property with no utility power) or other specialized needs (if you are making a stage with lighting/sound system, you probably want to install a temporary ground rod/ground plate for safety).

OK, why grounding, and what we are trying to have happen (safety), and not happen (ground loops).

Please ask questions--This is not simple--And if done wrong, can be worse than doing no grounding. Also, I do make mistakes typing this up and could have forgotten the world "don't" in the wrong place. :blush:

By the way, for general electrical information on AC power (power factor, apparent power, MSW vs TSW wave forms, non-linear current flow, lead acid batteries, etc.)--The Samulex manual for your inverter is very good.

http://www.samlexamerica.com/documents/manuals/11001-PST-1500-2000-12-24-0513.pdf

It covers many posts and threads worth of discussion on our forum. It is not electricity 101--But is a very good overview with lots of drawings and useful information.

Interestedly, the only thing it virtually does not cover hardly at all, is grounding. :confused:

Next post, how to make that all happen.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.

The reason this grounding question becomes a mess... Is we want "single point grounding" and each power source, traditionally, has been the single point for grounding.

When you are doing back up power (and you talk about a transfer switch), you can easily have three different power sources--Each (by code) doing the neutral to safety ground bonding. Which as I described before, is not good.

So, assuming this is your home with Utility Power (in North America) and not an RV (only difference is that you will have a ground rod for your home--For an RV, you do not drive a ground rod at every campsite), this is what is normally done.

You have a TSW (true sine wave) inverter (good thing). TSW inverters typically have an "isolated" AC output (MSW inverters are "directly" connected to the battery bank and if you ground the "AC Neutral", almost all MSW inverters will smoke if both the battery ground and AC neutral are bonded together).

According to the Samulex manual, your inverter has a jumper from AC Neutral to the inverter's metal chassis. You would remove this jumper.

If you have an AC backup genest--You will need to research your generator (and/or use a meter/tester) to determine if the AC neutral is bonded to the generator frame or not... Typically generators with 3.5 kWH or less output, have the AC neutral floating. For larger generators, the AC neutral is tied to generator frame--So you need to check the manual on how to "isolate" neutral (white) wire from generator frame (if you are using a backup generator). This thread has more details on generator bonding/grounding issues:
    BB. wrote: »
    A couple threads about Lightning:

Off Grid Grounding Technique?
    Another Question, this time about Lightning

Note, the above are discussions, not a do A, B, and C--and you will be "safe". There probably is no such thing with lightning. Several different techniques are discussed--and a few of those posters even have experience with lightning. :cool:

And our host's consolidated FAQ page:

www.windsun.com
    Lightning Protection for PV Systems

From other past posts here, Windsun (admin/owner of NAWS), he said that most of lighting induced failures he saw were in the Inverters' AC output section.

Towards the end of this thread is a very nice discussion of proper generator grounding.

-Bill

Now, with a "simple" AC transfer switch, you only need to switch the AC "Hot" (or black) wires (you can switch both Hot and Neutral too--Either is fine).

Of course with a genset and AC inverter, you still need to run a "green wire" (safety ground) from the generator/inverter frame/chassis to your AC panel ground (or ground rod) common connection.

For the AC generator, the green wire should be the same gauge as the AC wiring from the genset.

For the Inverter, the ground wire should be a minimum of 6 AWG to the same AWG as the DC wiring to the AC inverter's input (your inverter recommends 2 to 2/O wiring for DC cables--This can get expensive if the DC ground cable is a relatively long run). You do not want a separate ground rod for your DC power system. You want the AC ground and DC ground to have the same single point connection at the main ground rod (ideally).

You would also take a 6 AWG minimum cable from the ground bus connection on the battery to the house common earth/ground rod (metal water pipe,etc.) connection.

If this was an RV--This gets more complex. The AC Neutral Bond is not in the RV but provide by the campsite's AC power system.... In that case, you use a transfer switch that can "switch" both Hot and Neutral wiring....

In Campsite Mode, the transfer switch connects to the grounded AC neutral of the campsite.

In AC Inverter Mode, the AC inverter would have the Ground to AC neutral bond, and the two pole transfer switch will provide neutral bonding via the AC inverter.

In AC Generator Mode, the AC generator will also have AC neutral to safety ground bonding, and the two pole transfer switch (Hot and Neutral) will provide the neutral bonding.

I will stop here--Lots of questions I am sure. And if you can tell us more about your installation.

Is this a home or RV? How will you be charging the batteries (AC mains, generator, solar)? How much will you be automating (automatic transfer switch, solar+AC mains charging, generator auto start, etc.)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gashog301

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Reliance-Controls-20216A/p1113.html This is the switch I have but its only a 120v not 240v. This is for a home but might use it in my rv in the future. I almost 100% sure the ground and neutral are bonded in the ac panel so do this mean I remove the jumper in the inverter? I think thats what im reading in your replies. Thank you guys for the help!
  • BB.

Looks almost identical to the switch I wired into my home for a small genset connection 10 years ago (have not needed yet--knock on wood).

Normally, yes, your neutral+safety ground is in the main panel, and you would disconnect the bond in any inverter/genset connected to your home.

In the RV, the AC would probably not have a neutral bond (if small RV without genset) as the RV box is a "sub panel" of the main panel at the RV park/home connection.

Does yours have one meter (instead of two)? Does it not have the two switches "bar'ed" together? If so, then it does sound like a 120 VAC setup.

Is your plan to wire up the Samulex to the "generator" input plug? Personally, I would "hard wire" the Samulex and not use the GFI outlets (as discussed before--you don't want a single GFI fault to turn off power to the whole home--Also, the neutral+earth bond will in the main panel can confuse a GFI and cause it to trip).

Double check the AC inverter AC output voltage to make sure it is somewhere around 120 VAC before you power up the house (always better safe than sorry).

-Bill
  • gashog301

It is def the 120v transfer switch, I got that because my genset is only 120v. I have a yamaha Inverter EF4500iSE genset. Im going to hardwire from the samlex with a plug to transfer switch.
  • BB.

You have to be careful when wiring up 120/240 VAC split phase circuits...

The "white wire" is a center tap from the AC distribution transformer. Basically the Black and Red "Hot" wires are 120 VAC to neutral, but the two are 180 degrees out of phase, so Black to Red is 240 VAC.

Note that the neutral will carry zero amps if you have the same current flow on the Black and Red leads. (the current flow is the difference between Black and Red--If you have 10 amps on black and 4 amps on red, the white will carry 6 amps).

With a pure 120 VAC feed (like your genset and transfer box feeding a split phase box, you have to be careful that you do not feed 120 VAC from your inverter/generator to both a red and black cable sharing a common white return line. In that case, the black and red current add up together and can overheat the white common wire (i.e., a ROMEX with Black+Red+White+ground).

-Bill
  • gashog301

The tranfer switch is only wired to 120v circuits, if i remember correctly pigtail from switch goes from breaker in panel to switch back out and is wire nutted to feed to the 6 120v feeds to diff places in home ie bedroom living room etc and neutrals are landed on neutral bar and grounds on ground bar in panel.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

So what you are doing is switching the source of one 'hot' side only, and leaving neutral and ground wires connected at all times. Switches designed for use with generators don't have trouble with this as gens usually do not have a built-in N-G bond (floating neutral is safer for portable power).

Since the Samlex has a built-in N-G bond and there is another in your breaker box, you have a ground loop potential there that you don't want. Easiest fix is to remove the bond in the inverter, although you may not be comfortable with opening up the case and voiding the warranty.

The alternative is to disconnect the N-G bond in the breaker box when using the inverter. It should be noted that both 'hot' feeds need to be disconnected regardless of whether or not your using the other half of the 240; as Bill said there's a transformer on that input so technically the neutral is the center of that and thus can pick up Voltage in from the other hot in respect to ground. (Yes, the wiring is *ahem* circuitous.)

The best wiring system for using an inverter as back-up power on half a house's circuits is to disconnect hot, neutral, and ground from the utility totally isolating the two power sources. This is also what is done with RV's utilizing shore power, and they have similar issues with ground bonding (even though a moving vehicle has no Earth ground it often has the bond and so does the shore power source).