Mult. Charge Controller Question

8n-bob
8n-bob Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭
Hi All:
I tried searching here but could not find a answer.

12 15 watt HF panels wired series/parallel to 24V into a Sunsaver 15A MPPT controller
2 golf cart batts in series for 12v.
getting ready to add
2 280 watt PolyCryst. into a Morningstar 45A MPPT controller
4 more Golf cart batt's series/parallel for 12V
for a total of 6 batts.

Question is simple.
I'm running the Sunsaver with the Equalization on, so every 28 days it does that magic.
Well when I bring the 45A controller on liine should I
1. Just equalize with the 45A controller and shut equalization off on the 15A
or
2. Leave both controllers equalization on.

I am thinking option #1 but you out here with more knowledge then me would know the real answer.

ALSO: The way I understand it, it's ok to have the outputs of multiple MPPT controllers tied in parallel. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
BobO.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Mult. Charge Controller Question

Yes it is okay to have multiple charge controllers on one battery bank. The worst you get is that they seldom agree on Voltage and set points. In essence you have to pick one as the master and just let the other(s) contribute to Bulk charging. For really big systems you get all the same kind of controller, and preferably the Classic so that they can use the "Follow Me" function and truly be in sync.

When you get your two 280 Watt panels connected through the TriStar the HF panels will become insignificant. I'd turn off the auto equalization on the SunSaver as it won't be doing much anyway. The EQ function on the TriStar operates differently, and better. You do not need a lot of current for EQ as the batteries should be fully charged to begin with.

You will get about 35 Amps from the new panels & controller. You will be upping battery capacity to 660-ish. Even with, say, 10 Amps from the HF panels you will be at a rather minimal peak charge rate of 6%. Personally I'd rethink adding the additional batteries.
  • 8n-bob
    8n-bob Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Re: Mult. Charge Controller Question

I was trying to keep things short in my question.

What I will be doing is going from 2 GC batt's to 4 and see how things go. Then put the next 2 on line and see what happens. I can always take them back off. Remember I got 6 when I bought the package to begin with.

I was worried about the controllers fighting with each other in equalize.

Thanks for the Reply.
    Always absorbing stuff.
    BobO.