GE Geospring Water Heater Testing

hbv2020hbv2020 Registered Users Posts: 5
I have a two year old GE Geospring water heater. It seems to be running much more than it used to. The inlet air temp is 73 degrees and the outlet air temp is 66 degress. I wondered if that 7 degree differential was any indication if it is working correctly. The filter is clean. Thanks

Comments

  • BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 31,063 admin
    Re: GE Geospring Water Heater Testing

    It does sound like a possible problem.

    Look around the refrigeration system for leaks--Typically, you will find a little bit of compressor oil/"oily dust" if there are any leaks/fractures.

    Otherwise, sounds like it is time to call for warranty service.

    And please let us know how everything works out. A few people here have the Geosprings--Have not heard of any repairs/problems at this point.

    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inetdoginetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: GE Geospring Water Heater Testing
    hbv2020 wrote: »
    I have a two year old GE Geospring water heater. It seems to be running much more than it used to. The inlet air temp is 73 degrees and the outlet air temp is 66 degress. I wondered if that 7 degree differential was any indication if it is working correctly. The filter is clean. Thanks
    Hard to be sure without the matching measurement from when it was working, but based on what an A/C or heat pump will do that seems pretty low.
    That sort of behavior is often related to a low refrigerant charge resulting from a slow leak. That would need to be checked by a technician unless you are a DIY A/C guy.
    Another possibility would be that the heat exchanger on the hot water side is very badly scaled up and is not transferring heat very well even though the Geospring is developing a high enough temperature at its output.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • hbv2020hbv2020 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Re: GE Geospring Water Heater Testing

    Here is an update on my earlier post. I had the GE serviceman come and check it out. First of all he admitted that he had only seen two or three other Geosprings. Secondly his electronic tester would not work when connected to the port on the unit. He scrolled through some screens on the water heater, and called an engineer who told him everything was all right and it might run more than usual because we had it set at 140 degrees, but it has been set there since we installed it. He did not connect up any gauges to test the refrigerant, but I guess if it is low it will get lower until it shuts down. I was wondering if there is a chance that the refrigerant coil that is immersed in the water could have a scale build up?
  • Blackcherry04Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: GE Geospring Water Heater Testing
    hbv2020 wrote: »
    Here is an update on my earlier post. I had the GE serviceman come and check it out. First of all he admitted that he had only seen two or three other Geosprings. Secondly his electronic tester would not work when connected to the port on the unit. He scrolled through some screens on the water heater, and called an engineer who told him everything was all right and it might run more than usual because we had it set at 140 degrees, but it has been set there since we installed it. He did not connect up any gauges to test the refrigerant, but I guess if it is low it will get lower until it shuts down. I was wondering if there is a chance that the refrigerant coil that is immersed in the water could have a scale build up?
    Whats your incoming water temperature ? I don't know where you live or your water source, but my water temperature has dropped almost 10 deg since summer on city reservoir water and 140 deg would be a real tough slog for a heat pump water heater. You also have to think of where the Heater is located and that air temperature, small changes make a big differences in efficiency.

    Anyone who heats with a Heat Pump can tell you what 10 degrees difference makes. If I had one I'd put a heat lamp on it in the winter and warm the air it uses for a couple months in the winter.
  • hbv2020hbv2020 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Re: GE Geospring Water Heater Testing

    I live in Florida, so water temp never gets too low. I just moved the unit to a new home. While connecting the hot water hose I noticed that the galvanized out let pipe was corroded/rusted. So much so i had to file the top of it smooth so the screw on hose with washer would not leak. I am wondering if the refrigerant coils in the tank could be coated with something, or corroded, so that they could not transfer heat as they did when new.
    Whats your incoming water temperature ? I don't know where you live or your water source, but my water temperature has dropped almost 10 deg since summer on city reservoir water and 140 deg would be a real tough slog for a heat pump water heater. You also have to think of where the Heater is located and that air temperature, small changes make a big differences in efficiency.

    Anyone who heats with a Heat Pump can tell you what 10 degrees difference makes. If I had one I'd put a heat lamp on it in the winter and warm the air it uses for a couple months in the winter.
  • Blackcherry04Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: GE Geospring Water Heater Testing
    hbv2020 wrote: »
    I live in Florida, so water temp never gets too low. I just moved the unit to a new home. While connecting the hot water hose I noticed that the galvanized out let pipe was corroded/rusted. So much so i had to file the top of it smooth so the screw on hose with washer would not leak. I am wondering if the refrigerant coils in the tank could be coated with something, or corroded, so that they could not transfer heat as they did when new.
    I guess it's possible that has scale build up. Usually that rust comes with a small leak that you might not see that rusts that nipple. The water will stay around the threads and it's hot and it evaporates fast so you don't see it. I had one myself yesterday. It can be replaced with another non-conductive one, but they are heck to get out.

    Florida has warm water 70 deg or so, that shouldn't be a problem. Can you see the coil on the Unit ?? It should be pretty cold.
  • hbv2020hbv2020 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Re: GE Geospring Water Heater Testing

    Wonder is someone could test inlet (ambient room) air temp and out let air temp to see how the difference compare with mine of 7 degrees?

    Thanks

    harold
  • GreenPowerManiacGreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Re: GE Geospring Water Heater Testing

    As long as it's doing its job heating water, maybe there's nothing wrong at all. Like all aging equipment, downgrades over time. Assuming it's vented, the humidity may be causing evaporative cooling effect upon output. Next would be water quality entering the unit. Like suggested below, corrosion build up from water quality. A system like this should have a good warranty, so when it does fail, be fixed or replaced. From my experience, a Heat Pump compresses freon to use either the high pressure side (heat) or low side (cooling) like in a car. The exhaust (out going air) may be the (cooler) exhaust from the pump and nothing more since it has no use for it in a water heater.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • westbranchwestbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: GE Geospring Water Heater Testing

    Do you have a Water Hardness number for your water?

    A reading of 11 or above is where you should be considering a water softener.
    The hardness number is a combination of a lot of different dissolved minerals, so in addition to the hardness , especially when high, you should get it tested for the various minerals they can identify in it.
    AND there is always Iron which is another problem...

    hth
     
    KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
Sign In or Register to comment.