wind turbine RPM question

Options
mikebodima
mikebodima Registered Users Posts: 6
Hello

While browsing sites selling wind turbine

I saw that some of them say Rated Rotation Speed 550 RPM 1500 watts
and others say Rated Rotation Speed 1600 RPM 1500 watts

So which one is better and will work better on slow wind ?

Thank you

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: wind turbine RPM question

Hi Mike. Welcome to the forum. Do you have a make and model # we can google? To be truly honest, almost all small wind turbines are little more than hype, hope and high expectations, but deliver huge disappointments. I'm one of the thousands who have been burned. Dished out the money and got an interesting looking conversation piece. Unfortunately, interesting looking conversation pieces don't charge batteries.
    Hopefully the ones you're looking at are different, but don't get your hopes up yet.
  • mikebodima
    Options

Hello wayne, well i saw lot of turbines on Alibaba . but each company offers it with different specs.

This is why i asked which one will work better on low speed wind, the 550 RPM or the 1600 RPM ?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Could you define "slow wind"?

Here's the problem: air has 'so much' density, so when moved at a particular velocity it imparts a given amount of force per square area. So to extract from that wind at any speed a given amount of power (as Watts) you need a blade design that will capture sufficient mechanical force to generate the electrical power.

On the whole, the lower speed turbine would be the better design. It should have larger blades than the higher speed turbine, be able to capture more mechanical force at a given speed, and convert that into electrical power.

Or they could both be junk that never comes even close to outputting power rating even in a hurricane.

Now, do they want to supply you with numbers indicating power output vs. wind speed? That would be a valuable way to compare them (providing the data can be believed because unfortunately a lot of times they're just plain lying).
  • mikebodima
    Options

Hello again Cariboocoot

Pleas can you check: ginlong.com/wind-turbine-pmg-pma-permanent-magnet-generator-alternator-GL-PMG-1500.htm

If u see the power curve on their page: i have additional question what should be the wind speed to reach 400 RPM and 600 RPM ?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

That is a question I can't answer. There is no blade design included anywhere that I can find, so you need someone familiar with the aerodynamics of turbine blades to work out the diameter, pitch, and shape of the actual turbine to achieve that RPM in a (given) wind speed. I can only estimate that it is not going to be small to reach the peak output power; air has surprisingly little force in it at low speeds for all the annoyance it causes.

Anyone out there on the forum got one of these Ginlong turbines with blades who may be able to shed some light on the issue?
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options

Checked out their web site. Two words instantly came to mind: Buyer Beware!
    Very little info is provided and to be honest, they look more like learning toys than useful devices. And no sign of any blades or mounting mechanisms.
    Like buying a pig in a bag, I fear you'll have no idea what you've purchased until you get it home and try to use it. :cry:
  • animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Options

I can not say about seller. I just know the small ginlong generator is in the tlgwindpower generator. I think they have a fairly good representation.

As I understand it ginlong just makes the generators not blades.

I pickup a few wind turbine setups and they had some ginlong generators in them. I do not have any metrics to compare the generators. THe gl 1500 lv which i believe you are asking about is sitting in my garage.

I also have a few gl 1800 hv(1800 watts). this is designed to be a grid tie wind turbine. It was sold with 5' blades. So 10ft diameter. I have it on a small test mount. I rewired the internal of the generator to lower to voltage a bit I do not need +400v to 600v It does very well to stop when leads are shorted. I just had it the other day in a strong wind. Can not tell you the exact wind speed. but definately over 20mph. It was hooked to a battery basically just clamping the speed. Wind was getting hard so I figured I play with the generator. I took leads off the battery and let the unit spin up for a few seconds. It spiked up to 200v very quickly and would have kept going. I had a multimeter on hand. I actually saw the pole which it was mounted starting to bend. I then shorted the leads and unit came to a quick stop.

So take what you want from this. I believe ginlong a fairly well built. but only have and air x as a comparision. and an air x is basically worthless so the ginlong looks fairly nice. tlgwindpower.com for the smaller generators
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Options

Why not hook it up with a belt and a couple of pullies and turn it with a variable speed electric motor and see what kind of output you get from it just as a test? You could use a strobe light to determine the rpm's.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options

Go with PMA turbine (Permanent Magnet Alternators). They have age old proven technology since the 1940's. Have 4 of them and after 3 years are working fine. See my site.

You'll get about 12v @ 150 rpm and more volts/amps the faster it spins. Generally a 5-7 mph wind will give results. Not nearly 1500 watts, yet proven to work.

Was always fond of the VAWT (Vertical Axis Wind Turbine). They work the best in low winds, wear n tear.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • animatt
    Options
    Go with PMA turbine (Permanent Magnet Alternators). They have age old proven technology since the 1940's. Have 4 of them and after 3 years are working fine. See my site.

You'll get about 12v @ 150 rpm and more volts/amps the faster it spins. Generally a 5-7 mph wind will give results. Not nearly 1500 watts, yet proven to work.

Was always fond of the VAWT (Vertical Axis Wind Turbine). They work the best in low winds, wear n tear.

It is a bit hard to move power at low voltages.
    http://www.solar-electric.com/wire-loss-tables.html

even for sub 100w power levels cables get thick FAST.

But like everything else depends on your situation. If your power level(usage) benefits from some wind power contribution at 50-100w it is a different story.

I do like the general idea which Chris pushes high voltage wind generators charging a battery back via mppt controller. definately helps with his higher power wind turbines.

Matthew
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    animatt wrote: »
    It is a bit hard to move power at low voltages.
    http://www.solar-electric.com/wire-loss-tables.html

even for sub 100w power levels cables get thick FAST.

But like everything else depends on your situation. If your power level(usage) benefits from some wind power contribution at 50-100w it is a different story.

I do like the general idea which Chris pushes high voltage wind generators charging a battery back via mppt controller. definately helps with his higher power wind turbines.

Matthew

Agree re the higher voltage and MPPT. I had a "Hornet" wind turbine with PMA alternator that claimed 700 watts output, took it down after a couple of years as it was useless, gave everything away but for the alternator. The PM alternator has been operating perfectly for at least 5 years now, 24/7/365 on my micro micro hydro project. At the moment (as is typical) it's output voltage is 34 volts DC and it's pushing almost 5 amps through close to 400 feet of #2 aluminum cable (800 feet return) to a TS-MPPPT-60 controller which in turn is dumping 164 watts into my 12 volt system. The cable was scrap, had to splice it in a number of places, but didn't cost me anything. Very, very pleased with this set up. By the way, did have to add a fan to the alternator, as unlike high on a pole where it wasn't producing more than 5 or 10 watts except in a tropical storm or hurricane, and would have wind blowing through it's guts, it would overheat in hydro operation. In fact, before I added the fan, the the alternator got too hot to touch and melted the plastic insulating sleeves in the stator slots!
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options

Could always go with a 48v PMA system. They make higher voltage/amperage PMA motors for this occasion.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • animatt
    Options

I am just posting a link to chris's website. http://dairylandwindpower.us/index.html
    he does not come around here any more to post. Just in case anyone in the future is interested.
    also his posts here can be found http://forum.solar-electric.com/member.php?9634-ChrisOlson

Wayne you might have went over this before but why the large mppt controller for such small loads. Was it the internet capabilities of the controller?
    I could imagine one of the small sun saver mppt would probably work for your situation, or if you wanted more head room the ts 45 mppt controller?

matthew
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

I don't remember if this was Wayne's issue... But the TS MPPT controllers have something like a maximum 140-150 VDC maximum input voltage--The small Sunsaver MPPT has ~70-75 VDC.

If the alternator ever becomes "unloaded", the 34 volts will probably go way over 70 volts and can damage the charge controller.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    I don't remember if this was Wayne's issue... But the TS MPPT controllers have something like a maximum 140-150 VDC maximum input voltage--The small Sunsaver MPPT has ~70-75 VDC.

If the alternator ever becomes "unloaded", the 34 volts will probably go way over 70 volts and can damage the charge controller.

-Bill
    Bill, you hit the nail on the head! I used to use a Sunsaver MPPT on the turbine and all was OK for a long time, but sometimes, not thinking, instead of gradually opening the inlet, I would suddenly open the gate at the inlet to the 200 foot penstock, and that water then gained speed, till it hit the nozzle, creating was a sudden surge in pressure and a brief high-reving of the alternator. Finally the voltage surges took out the Sunsaver :cry:
    The TS-MPPT-60 handles the surges, + the additional 900 watts solar without any problems. The MPP loaded voltage of the alternator matches the MPP voltage of the PV close enough that all works well together.