Grid Tie Inverter - low output...

Trying to figure out the Solar Panel system. I have a 3 200w(total 600) solar panels, currently connected to a 500w in grid inverter. My wattmeter says that the three panels are only outputing about 240w total back into the house grid.

Is this normal? Why would it not be at least 500w? Is the micro gid-tie inverter not preforming well or are my expectations too high?

Comments

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Re: Grid Tie Inverter - low output...
    ke4wpv wrote: »
    Trying to figure out the Solar Panel system. I have a 3 200w(total 600) solar panels, currently connected to a 500w in grid inverter. My wattmeter says that three of the panels are only outputing about 240w total back into the house grid.

Is this normal? Why would it not be at least 500w? Is the micro gid-tie inverter not preforming well or are my expectations too high?

I'm not getting what you are trying to say. Do you have a 500W string inverter or do you have microinverters? You say "three of the panels", but you also say you have a total of three panels. Are you saying that the total output of three 200W modules is only 240W? Where and how are you taking the measurement that tells you 240W?
  • ke4wpv
    ke4wpv Registered Users Posts: 3
    ggunn wrote: »
    I'm not getting what you are trying to say. Do you have a 500W string inverter or do you have microinverters? You say "three of the panels", but you also say you have a total of three panels. Are you saying that the total output of three 200W modules is only 240W? Where and how are you taking the measurement that tells you 240W?

3-200w panels comming into the micro grid tie inverter... output 240w at the wall outlet(killawatt watt meter)
    Have more 200w panels, but they are connected to a solar battery controller, not the micro grid tie.
  • ke4wpv
    ke4wpv Registered Users Posts: 3

1 500w inverter with 3 200w panels plugged in to a wall outlet - showing 240w(max) with a killawat meter
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

What make/model of GT inverter and solar panels (links are OK to describe the hardware).

On a good/clear day, it is not unusual to see a maximum of 77% of rated array output at noon. If you are above 50% of rated panel power--You may be OK (not great, but things are probably working OK).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    1 500w inverter with 3 200w panels plugged in to a wall outlet - showing 240w(max) with a killawat meter

sounds like one of those chinese plugnplay jobs. illegal whether it would work or not and i suspect many are junk.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    In the first place that's not a microinverter, and in the second place it's a substandard piece of... , and in the third place if it's in the US it's illegal, and in the fourth place I hope it doesn't burn your house down (and it can) because if it does your insurance company will deny your claim.
  • etcm
    etcm Registered Users Posts: 11

and if you have a meter like most of the USA, (solar power) current going into the wall socket can be measured the same as current being bought, the meter is probably measuring it (NOT RUNNING BACKWARD, RUNNING FORWARD!). Plus, if it is a cheapy (like others are assuming), it probably is not clean enough power for your home electronics or the utility company...and like the others are saying...it is illegal and dangerous