use them. What electrial components can I add to get the
2 volts up to 6 volts or more.

Thanks again

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solor Power The electrial side of things

zappy,
    you do not need to create another thread as this could have continued from the same one you had started already. the only other thing to raise the voltage would be to have an upconverter known as an inverter but would stop at a smaller voltage to allow 6vdc to be rectified from it. for the little bit of solar power this would produce it wouldn't be cost effective to do this. just add some more inline until you get the voltage you want
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

someones talking bout a capasitor
  • niel

i doubt that zappy is talking about a capacitor as 2v is not a typical rating for one of them.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Zappy,

Assuming you're talking about converting 2 VDC into 6 VDC, you'll need a DC-to-DC converter (not an inverter, which converts DC to AC). Specifically, you'll need something like a a boost converter. Note that boosting your voltage by 3X will cut available current (Amps) to less than 1/3.

Here are some links to Google searches for DC-DC converters and related info:

Link #1
    Link #2
    Link #3
    Link #4

What are you trying to do, other than boost 2 V to 6 V?

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel

sorry about that as crewzer is right with the dc to dc converter. i was thinking along that line, but many don't realize a dc to dc converter is an inverter with the output ac rectified and filtered for dc. no excuse for me as i should've said the right terminology. :oops:
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

For small loads (on the order of 100 mAmps or less), there is a circuit that uses capacitors only (no inductors needed) to increase voltages. It is called a Charge Pump. Basically, charge a capacitor, then reconnect it on the fly to be in series with the voltage source, thereby doubling the original voltage... Once place several in series to obtain higher voltages. Of course, the devil is in the details.

You can read an article about them here:

http://www.powermanagementdesignline.com/howto/187000056

Typically, it would probably be much more efficient and easier to simple wire 3 or more solar cells in series to obtain the higher voltages (and use a regulator on the solar panel output if the voltage needs to be somewhat accurate).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2

Hey Thanks for your responses, I have solved the problem...

I wired up the solar panels to a 7.3 volt battery which trickel charges it ( Though a circut )
    And when I want the power I flick the switch and it gives me 6 volts.

Thanks
  • System2

Are you saying that you are going to charge a 7 volt battery with 2 volts...I don't think so.