Adding MTU to Ted 5002c

MikeSus
MikeSus Solar Expert Posts: 64 ✭✭✭✭
I found a deal ($200) on a slightly used 5002c (he bought it to size a genset). If I decide I want to monitor each inverter, how hard will it be to add another MTU (or a pair)?

The only downside that I can see is that I will need to install the MTU in the breaker box by the inverters, and I hear that the inverters can be noisy.

Comments

• SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Re: Adding MTU to Ted 5002c

The gateway will handle up to 4 MTU's. Just go into the settings and add the MTU's serial number and define what it is. Solar. You can download the instruction from the TED site if they aren't with the TED.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • MikeSus
    SkiDoo55 wrote: »
    The gateway will handle up to 4 MTU's. Just go into the settings and add the MTU's serial number and define what it is. Solar. You can download the instruction from the TED site if they aren't with the TED.

Cool! So in theory I could start with mains and the combined solar and then add the individual inverters it sounds like. I thought I read somewhere that the inverters can cause havoc with the the PLC communications?
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    MikeSus wrote: »
    Cool! So in theory I could start with mains and the combined solar and then add the individual inverters it sounds like. I thought I read somewhere that the inverters can cause havoc with the the PLC communications?

Lots of stuff causes havoc with the TED comms. I have my MTUs all power wired to the same breaker and placed the gateway about 15 ft away from the breaker panel on that circuit. Mine has been rock solid hooked up that way. The PLC is very fussy about the noise in the line and of course the gateway wants to see a clean signal. X10 stuff wreaks havoc with them. Here is the link to the support site: http://www.theenergydetective.com/ted5000support I have had good luck with the forum for support as well: http://forums.theenergydetective.com/

I then added a WiFi client device to bridge it into to my wireless network. I used one of these in client mode to make the connection. Definitely find a clean circuit in the house and don't plug the gateway into a plug strip. I just didn't want to fish Cat 5 all the way to my router to make the connection which was about 75 to 100 ft away.
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=241&model=TL-WR700N

003.jpg

If you go that route, make sure you flash both the TED and the wireless bridge with the latest firmware while they are attached to a hard wire Ethernet connection. The cost of the wireless bridge was about the same as a long pre-made cat 5 cable. It was about $25 delivered if I remember correctly.

BTW the TED gateway is only a 10 mbit device, some routers/switches won't like the obsolete speed. Some actually have to step every thing on the device back to that speed. The TP-Link didn't seem to mind that speed. YMMV.

This link for your TED will show you the drops on the comms for each MTU and a variety of other stats as well. http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/stats.html Replace the XXX stuff with your IP address scheme. Just replace the Footprints in the URL with stats on the web page. One Other thing I did was reserve the bottom 50 addresses in my router for static IPs and assigned the TED a static IP address. Also the wireless bridge gets a static IP. You could also just set the router to reserve a DHCP address for the TEDs MAC address.

Edit: I also heard that some CFLs can cause line noise, I suspect the older ones so be aware.
  • MikeSus

Well the thought process is to connect to the outlet that is in the garage on the opposite side of the wall from the panel (so the run should be a few feet?) I have network cables run in the garage and will be putting a network switch in place so I can also get data from the SunnyBoy inverters.

Good to know on the 10mbit, the switch should be ok with that tho.

When you say to "flash both the TED and the Gateway, I am confused, can you flash the MTU's?
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    MikeSus wrote: »
    Well the thought process is to connect to the outlet that is in the garage on the opposite side of the wall from the panel (so the run should be a few feet?) I have network cables run in the garage and will be putting a network switch in place so I can also get data from the SunnyBoy inverters.

Good to know on the 10mbit, the switch should be ok with that tho.

When you say to "flash both the TED and the Gateway, I am confused, can you flash the MTU's?

Well I guess that happens automajicly from the gateway when the firmware is updated. I think I was talking about the wireless bridge as a wireless gateway device. It is not a good idea to flash them over a wireless connection, (although I have done it and cringed the whole time). Easy to turn them into a brick.
  • MikeSus

Gotcha.

Had thought about using a bridge, but temps in the garage exceed suggested temp ranges for a lot of wireless stuffs.