what to do with shattered solar panel? recyclable?

edbee
edbee Registered Users Posts: 5
I have a Kyocera KD315GX-LPB 315 Watt Multicrystalline Solar Module that was damaged in shipping. It got bent to the point of the glass shattering. I don't want to just take it to the landfill site if there is part of it that could be recycled or somehow put to use for something.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Ed

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: what to do with shattered solar panel? recyclable?

Get it replaced by the shipper.

Trying to repair damaged panels is pretty much a waste of time.
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    edbee wrote: »
    I have a Kyocera KD315GX-LPB 315 Watt Multicrystalline Solar Module that was damaged in shipping. It got bent to the point of the glass shattering. I don't want to just take it to the landfill site if there is part of it that could be recycled or somehow put to use for something.

If it works (and your system can use a onesie panel) use it until it fails. A surprising number of them work even after their glass being shattered.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

Sometimes shattered panels still work.
    I run my solar well pump off a couple of them.
    There is a lot of talk in the industry about recycling, but so far the quantity of old panels is so low no businesses have cropped up yet.
    Some of the manufacturers are recycling their own products - so try contacting the maker.
    Also a generic silicon recycler like webuysilicon.com may be viable.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

one should always inspect the merchandise before letting the truck leave. i have had problems with trucking companies and one even shipped the pallet sitting vertically. claim goes against the trucking company, but notify the place of purchase as well of the incident.
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

There are recycling programs in some areas but I believe that the only reason they work is that the alternative is paying some sort of disposal fee. IN 99.9% of the US that I am aware of, its general debris. Break it up into small enough pieces and throw it way on the trash. The aluminum frame is definitely worth recycling. Or if its works at all put it on craigslist and some optimist will pick it up.
  • edbee
    edbee Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately (it is a long story) neither the shipping company nor the supplier will pay for a replacement panel so I am stuck with this expensive bit of glass, aluminum, silicon, etc. I am going to try it out to see if it works at all. If it does, possibly I can use it at a later date to power a water pump. If it doesn't work at all I will give webuysilicon.com a call.

thanks again!