MidNite Solar's WhizBang Jr. is Listed Wind-Sun Site

The MNWBr is now listed on the Wind-Sun "Store". Probably not in stock, and in a conversation 10/17/13, availability date is not yet known.

This is the Shunt-mounted battery charge current monitor, that initially can cause Classic CCs to transition to Float, and it appears will tabulate net Ah, instantaneous Charge Current, and some other useful functions (from reading the install guide).

http://www.solar-electric.com/midnite-solar-whiz-bang-jr-current-sense-module.html

Installation Guide:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/Whizbang_manual.pdf

FWIW, Vic
Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: MidNite Solar's WhizBang Jr. is Listed Wind-Sun Site

UPDATE:
    The MNWBJr Drop-Shipped from MidNite, late afternoon on 10/17/13, as did the remainder of the order from Wind-Sun. Shipping the same day as the order. You cannot beat that service!

Thanks Wind-Sun and MidNite. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

Shunt not included
    vic wrote: »
    update:
    The mnwbjr drop-shipped from midnite, late afternoon on 10/17/13, as did the remainder of the order from wind-sun. Shipping the same day as the order. You cannot beat that service!

Thanks wind-sun and midnite. Vic
  • Vic

Yes, bmet, you are correct, BUT,

1. Many systems have the correct 50 mV 500 A Shunt installed already, and;
    2. The WBJr is very inexpensive for what it now does, and it will do more in the future. Other Shunt monitoring devices are quite a bit more expensive, AND the MNWBJr is able to command Classic CCs to transition to Float when EA setting is reached based on ACTUAL battery charge current (as you probably know), as well as some other useful tranches of data.

Am not associated with MidNite Solar in any way, just another happy customer. Opinions mine, Vic
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Ordered for each Classic! Thanks Vic for the heads-up on this cool item. I had heard that you can put up to 3 on each
    Classic, but I can always order more.
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    H2SO4_guy wrote: »
    Ordered for each Classic! Thanks Vic for the heads-up on this cool item. I had heard that you can put up to 3 on each
    Classic, but I can always order more.

How many shunts do you have??

I ordered one for my system with 2 Classics (soon to be 3) but only one shunt. No need to have anymore since I only have one battery bank...
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

I have a pile of shunts, some for the 3 Trimetric 2025A's and some for other projects. I also ordered 4 shunts to go with the WhizBang's. On the Trimetrics they can use the exact same Deltec shunt, but I don't know if they can share the same shunt, I'll try to find out and let everyone know. It would be very useful to use the same shunt for both battery monitors. The Trimetric's will do resolution of .01 amps if you use the 100 amp / 100 millivolt shunt, but only .1 amp resolution if you use the 500 amp / 50 millivolt shunt. The WhizBang calls for the 500 amp shunt. I don't know if it would work with the 100 amp shunt, I am not going to use them, only the 500 amp shunt as it calls for.

If I have to use 2 shunts in line I can do that if needed. Wind-Sun has a deal on 4 of the 500 amp Deltec shunts for $100, so that is not a bad deal. Always nice to have a spare or two laying around. Never know when it will be needed, but I have used the Deltec's for years and they seem to be very robust. It is reccomended to only use them to about 80% of their capacity, so it is important to know what the loads are.
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    H2SO4_guy wrote: »
    It would be very useful to use the same shunt for both battery monitors.

I don't think there could be any problem using the same shunt for any number of monitors at the same time.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

We have not seen an issue using one shunt for more than one monitor. Of course if the 2 monitors use circuit boards you will have to get creative to connect them.

Ryan
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    Of course if the 2 monitors use circuit boards you will have to get creative to connect them.

One can use PCB standoffs. It might be possible to salvage standoffs from the motherboard of an old computer. It's a good chance that the thread will match.

This, however, will make the whole construction more fragile, so the big cables around would have to be layed with greater care.
  • Vic

Hi H2 ..

Have you been reading the following Thread on the MidNite Forum(?):
    http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1413.0

SOME OF THE Shunt sharing and Scale Factoring is covered there FWIW, Vic
  • Vic

UPS Tracking says that the WhizBangJrs were delivered this afternoon, at the in-town location.

Will not be back there to peruse them for a few days, and will not have them on the systems here for a week or so, but Wind-Sun and MidNite came through is very short order. Thanks for the service! Vic