How do I measure current with a CL-1000

Options
quique
quique Solar Expert Posts: 259 ✭✭
I got my solar panel box open, can someone draw me a picture of how to measure Amps from the panel?

I don't want to ruin my ammeter.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Re: How do I measure current with a CL-1000

If this is a Klien AC Current Clamp meter, here is the instruction sheet for it:

http://www.service.kleintools.com/Instructions/CL1000_Instructions.pdf

Now--I am not sure, but this appears to be an AC Current Clamp meter only. Home Depot does list it as an AC/DC Digital Clamp Meter--But it is not really correct.

400A AC Clamp Meter - CL1000 | Klein Tools

Klein Tools 400 Amp AC/DC Digital ClAmp Meter-CL1000 at The home depot

It can only measure (I think) up to 2.000 amps maximum DC if you use the meter leads and "break into" the DC circuit.

For our usual "debugging" needs, this meter really will not help you with DC Current Measurements and I would not attempt to measure DC current with it (Current Clamp will just read Zero Amps on DC circuits and the 2.000 amp maximum is really to low of current for working with typical solar panels which are in the 8-15 amp range).

A similar meter that does do AC and DC current clamp and DMM functions is this one from Sears.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • quique
    Options

Thanks bill! I do have another one that has. 10a fuse marking for dc. But what if my panel should put out about 11-12amps?
  • BB.
    Options

Technically, you can get a precision shunt for $24 like this one:

wind-sun_2269_13629585Deltec 100 amp, 100 millivolt current shunt

Certainly accurate and easy to install "permanently"... But not really good for debugging or testing solar panels/off grid battery powered systems.

If you are going to be doing "DC Power" for the indefinite future... You will really find a DC Current Clamp type DMM amazing and wonder how you lived without one.

I know--I have lived without a current clamp meter for many decades (I am too cheap :blush:--And $50-$60 was "cheap enough" for me). My trick was to use a length of wire in the DC current path and then set a voltage meter to 2.0 or 0.200 volts full scale, and use the resistance of the wire/cable as my "shunt". Not very accurate at all--But at least I could tell current direction and see changes.

When I finally broke down and purchased the Sears Meter I link too--I experimented on my car (lights on, lights off, engine running/off, etc.) to get a better feel on how to use the meter.

The "ZERO Function" on Sears meter works entirely different than any other Zero adjustment I have ever seen. Works fine and is easy to use once you understand it--But it is confusing as heck the first time you try it (DC current/magnetic sensors "drift" quite a bit and need to be zeroed every few minutes to be accurate--AC current measurement systems are generally more accurate and do not drift--So there is usually no "zero function").

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Options

I have the Klein CL2000 which is True RMS and AC/DC Clamp meter. Bought at Home Depot $139.00. Have not seen drifting when using on DC. Like it very much and the price was reasonable.

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/clamp-meters/400a-acdc-true-rms-clamp-meter

I built a small boxed 20amp shunt and digital display for doing panel testing, have leads for the MC4 connectors and various others. Meter works froma a 9 V battery for direct testing or longer term monitoring.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • quique
    Options

So I was off by 1000? :-)
  • BB.
    Options

You are a 1,000% correct. :roll:

-Bill
  • quique
    Options

Dang it...ok so ill sell this one...if anyone is interested :)

Thx Bill