Unable to fully recharge 12 volt system

Options
Chokosna Cabin
Chokosna Cabin Registered Users Posts: 11
Hi, I am new on this forum and have one major concern. This passed summer I purchased a cabin in the Alaskan Bush, off grid. It came with a Trace SW2512 inverter, Trace C-40amp Controller and 4 solar panels. Batteries were absent. I am new to off grid living and went through and did the research and decided to purchase (6) Trojen 2V batteries. I also purchased new cables and set it up. During the summer it was fine, according to the inverter, I didn't need to run the generator at all. Due to a great summer and long Alaskan days. As the rains came I found myself having to charge nearly daily. I finally bought a refractometer and checked my batteries the SG was at 1.17 to 1.19 regardless of charge. I would go through the Bulk and Float sequence, inverter would read 12.7 but the SG was still very low 1.18. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Unable to fully recharge 12 volt system

You need to start Equalizing them 15.5-16 volts as long as it takes. Watch the water and Temperature and keep them under 115-120 F. It could take a long time 10 hrs to 2-3 days to bring them up to 1.260. I just did a new ( never used ) set a week old from the factory and it took 7 hrs. The higher the SG's raise the slower it gets.
  • Chokosna Cabin
    Options

I have already begun stretching out the bulk charge, will let it finish this cycle and give your suggestion a try. Have to get the book out and figure out how to increase equalization schedule. Thanks!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

Welcome to the forum "Chokosna"!

As BC04 says--Getting those batteries charged back over 1.260 sg (temperature corrected) is your first order of business. The longer they set at low specific gravity, the quicker they will sulfate and die.

Can you tell us a bit more about your system.
    • Generator size/rating?
    • What is the Trojan cell you are using (model/AH capacity)?
    • Solar panels (watts, Vmp, Imp ratings)?
    • Do you have a good idea of your daily loads (Amps*Hours, Watt*Hours per day).

A Kill-a-Watt type meter can be real handy for measuring AC loads by appliance.

A Battery Monitor (such as the Trimetric or Victron) can be very helpful too. The SOC readings can be pretty accurate (if correctly programmed and the battery bank is properly operated). You can very quickly see if something is not right (and you don't have to run a hydrometer in your pilot cell near as often).

Are you using the SW2512 to charge the battery bank? How much current are you able to pump into the batteries?

Do you have a digital multi-meter you can use to measure voltages around your battery bank?

On a normal day and working battery bank, you want to get somewhere between 5% to 13% (upwards of 20-25%) of the battery bank's rated capacity (20 Hour Rate) going into those batteries.

Once the batteries get to around 14.5 to 14.8 volts (assuming ~75F battery temperature), you want to hold that for ~2-4 hours--Longer if batteries are discharged deeper (hard to do now that winter is coming).

And that is the first issue with the C40--As I recall, it is hard coded to hold ~1 hour of "absorb" (14.5-14.8v or so) then fall back to absorb.

Per BC04, you need to crank that solar charger up to ~15 volts (probably as high as it will go).

At the same time, you need to look into the programming for your SW2512.

To add to your task list:
    • Check each battery terminal/crimp connection that they are clean and free of corrosion
    • With high charging (or discharging current), check that each connection point is cool (hot terminals means poor connections). You can also use a DMM to measure the voltage drop across each connection. Set to 2.000 or 0.200/200mVolt full scale... If you find any connections with higher than normal voltage drop, check for tightness and corrosion.
    • Measure the voltage of each cell (or battery) and log. You probably have multiple batteries, so you are looking for 'differences'--Cells/Batteries with high or low voltages need further investigation.
    • Similar with a Hydrometer... You need to check/log the temperature corrected specific gravity for each cell (something like once a month when you check water levels).

Longer term, I like to suggest a relatively cheap DC Current Clamp DMM... They are really handy to verify current flow (especially if you have parallel battery strings, check solar panels for proper operation, etc.).

And a little light reading while waiting for the batteries to charge:

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
    http://www.batteryfaq.org/
    http://batteryuniversity.com/

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Options

Technically, equalization is not really charging. It is intended for pushing current through the series cells when (for example) 5 of the cells are at 100% State of Charge and one cell is at 80% State of charge. High voltage gets current to flow through the low cells while "over charging" the high cells.

More or less, true equalzation is only needed with the specific gravity difference between high and low cells is ~0.015 to 0.030 or greater. You typically want around 5% or so maximum current during equalization--Batteries can get hot during this period (most energy is converted into heat and gases).

As you equalize, make sure the batteries do not get over ~115-120F, and check the specific gravity every 30-60 minutes... When the SG stops rising between readings, that is pretty much it.

If the batteries are getting sulfated, you might need to discharge the bank (down towards 50% state of charge) and again recharge it to "full" (specific gravity readings). It can sometimes take several weeks to get the batteries sort of back inline (sulfation is not "fixable"--At best you are causing it to sluff off to the bottom of the cells).

Also, monitor water usage in your battery bank... If you are refilling once every month or more often, you are probably over charging.

If you are never refilling, or every 6+ months, probably under charging. Nominally having to put some water back in every two months is good (there are some low maintenance batteries that use dramatically less water). Never let the plates get exposed to air--Will damage/ruin cell/battery.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Chokosna Cabin
    Options

Thanks for both replies, seeing my SC was around 1.17 I am going to start by equalizing over a long period. As for my system: the Batteries are Trojen L16 RE 2V with a 20 hour rating of 1100AH. My generator is a "Chang Chai" diesel supposedly able to generate 7K. It is on its way out and I am replacing with a Honda outfitted for propane. The inverter is doing the charging. It can transfer up to 160 amps DC, which should fulfill the 5-13% IF I am comprehending that correctly. The solar panels are a 12 volt set, I don't have the documentation near by, but believe they are made by kyocera. They haven't come into play recently due to very little sunlight. (in the last 3 days I recorded 9 ah) according to the controller they have produced up to 23 amps. S by my understanding the C40 controller shouldn't be an issue, since the panels are out of play? I set the Trace inverter for 10 hour equalize.

On my end I went through the work sheet and I am a relatively low user. 2 appliances, a freezer and a Toyo heater, the estimated use with "safety factor" was about 5500 watts per day. In general the usage meter on the Trace inverter is at 1 or 2 amps, with 3 or 4 being the high when the heater kicks on then it backs off.

Water usage hasn't been an issue, the system has only been up a couple months. All terminals are cool and cables are tight. All I have at this point is the refractometer and hydrometer, will look into a meter when I have a chance, closest store (of any sort) is almost 200 miles.

I am wondering, in hindsight, if I would have been better off with 2 or 4 6v batteries with a lower capacity, therefore easier to charge? But, I have to live with what I have.
    Just checked the SG, it has gone from 1.17 to 1.225, so some improvement. :)
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If possible look behind the panels for the label. Or use a small mirror if mounted with stand offs. But if they are on a high or steep sloped roof don't tank the risk to just read the label. Don't wont no one to get hurt.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options

Yeah, there easier batteries to care for and charge, is what it is. I'd try to make the most of my generator time and charge but at EQ voltage ( 15-16v ). You don't have to do it all at one time. Check the SG's each hour, as I said the closer you get to 1.260, it'll get much slower. Once you get them up and stay on top of it, you'll have much less problems.
  • BB.
    Options

OK--We have some good information here we can start with.

First, your 5.5 kWH per day is not a "small system"--It is pretty good sized. A small system (minimum cabin, no fridge) is probably on the order of 1 kWH per day.

A full off grid, very energy efficient home is around 3.3 kWH per day (fridge, well pump, lights, laptop computer, washing machine, efficient TV, etc.).

So--First the battery bank and genset/AC battery charger.
    Thanks for both replies, seeing my SC was around 1.17 I am going to start by equalizing over a long period. As for my system: the Batteries are Trojen L16 RE 2V with a 20 hour rating of 1100AH. My generator is a "Chang Chai" diesel supposedly able to generate 7K. It is on its way out and I am replacing with a Honda outfitted for propane. The inverter is doing the charging. It can transfer up to 160 amps DC, which should fulfill the 5-13% IF I am comprehending that correctly.

Your cells would like between 5% to 13% rate of charge--And with an AC battery charger, you can get up to 20-25% rate of charge.

Some of your tradeoffs... The batteries probably would do best around 10-13% rate of charge. 20-25% is OK, but you need to monitor bank temperature (so batteries do not overheat with high charge rates).

On generator side, a diesel genset usually wants 40-60% of rated minimum load to avoid "wet stacking", carbonizing, or cylinder glazing from low operating loads/temperatures.

And general gasoline/propane gensets should run around 50% or higher rated load for better fuel efficiency. Running these types of gensets at 25% load (or less) can cut your fuel efficiency by 1/2 or worse.

So, the batteries:
    • 1,100 AH * 5% rate of charge = 55 amps minimum
    • 1,100 AH * 10% rate of charge = 110 amps nominal
    • 1,100 AH * 13% rate of charge = 143 amps maximum without temp monitoring
    • 1,100 AH * 20% rate of charge = 220 amps a lot of current from AC charger
    • 1,100 AH * 25% rate of charge = 275 amps rough never to exceed (flooded cell)

Since 120 Amps looks real nice--The SW2512 would need to draw around (worst case guess):
    • 120 amps * 14.7 volts charging * 1/0.80 charger eff * 1/0.65 power factor = 3,392 VA
    • 3,392 VA / 0.80 generator derating from name plate = 4,240 VA genset name plate

So, the diesel should be able to run at full current fur the SW charger--And if you get a 4 kWatt or larger propane (which is derated from gasoline) genset you should be OK.

We have had some folks suggest that a gasoline genset may be easier to start/run in far northern conditions (propane and diesel need series heating to get started and fuel pressure up/keep from gelling)--But I am in California where I cannot keep my freezer at 0F--So, take my suggestions with a grain of salt here.

You are probably at the maximum you would want to wire a 12 volt battery bank+inverter+chargers... If you go larger (or for your next battery bank), you may want to look at smaller AH cells and a 24 or 48 volt battery bank to keep DC currents (and voltage drops) reasonable. And, yea, that will kill you as you are looking at new/different battery bank, AC inverter, etc.
    The solar panels are a 12 volt set, I don't have the documentation near by, but believe they are made by kyocera. They haven't come into play recently due to very little sunlight. (in the last 3 days I recorded 9 ah) according to the controller they have produced up to 23 amps. S by my understanding the C40 controller shouldn't be an issue, since the panels are out of play? I set the Trace inverter for 10 hour equalize.

For the size system you have right now, the C40 and whatever solar panels you have right now--Is really too small to properly recharge the present battery bank without lots of generator run time. 5% is the minimum current we would recommend for charging a cycling battery bank. In summer with long summer sun, you might squeak by with less--But still not a great idea.
    On my end I went through the work sheet and I am a relatively low user. 2 appliances, a freezer and a Toyo heater, the estimated use with "safety factor" was about 5500 watts per day. In general the usage meter on the Trace inverter is at 1 or 2 amps, with 3 or 4 being the high when the heater kicks on then it backs off.

5.5 kWatt is a fair amount of power--You can choose to run it all from solar, or break it into two pieces... One part from solar/battery bank (night, quiet time, low power system) and fire up the genset when you need more power. Or size the battery system to supply all needed power (more expensive, less generator run time/fuel costs).

Just to see what a "balanced" system might look like (choose 48 volt battery bus for this large of system):
    • 5,500 Watt*Hours per day * 1/0.85 invtr eff * 2 days of no-sun * 1/0.50 max batt discharge = 539 AH @ 48 volts

That is about 2x larger battery bank as you have now (or 1,078 AH at 24 volt battery bank).

Using PV Watts for Gulkana Alaska (guessing), fixed array, tilted to 62 degrees from horizontal:
    Month    Solar Radiation (kWh/m 2/day)
    1      1.22     
    2      2.84     
    3      4.69     
    4      5.76     
    5      4.92     
    6      4.96     
    7      5.03     
    8      4.61     
    9      3.64     
    10      2.55     
    11      1.34     
    12      0.81     
    Year      3.53      

Toss the bottom four months, and we are looking at 2.84 hours of sun in February:
    • 5,500 Watt*Hours per day * 1/0.52 end to end efficiency * 1/2.88 hours of sun = 3,673 Watt Array for "break even" February

And for a 539 AH @ 48 volt battery bank, the array needed would be:
    • 539 AH * 59 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.05 rate of charge = 2,065 watt array minimum
    • 539 AH * 59 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 4,130 watt array nominal
    • 539 AH * 59 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.13 rate of charge = 5,369 watt array "cost effective maximum"

So, a suggested array would range from 3,673 to 5,369 watts, wiht ~4,130 Watt array being a healthy nominal size.
    Water usage hasn't been an issue, the system has only been up a couple months. All terminals are cool and cables are tight. All I have at this point is the refractometer and hydrometer, will look into a meter when I have a chance, closest store (of any sort) is almost 200 miles.

I believe that Refractometers need calibration (you have some 1.265 s.g. electrolyte?). Both should be rinsed well with distilled water between uses. Hydrometers can build up a sticky residue inside if not rinsed out between uses.
    I am wondering, in hindsight, if I would have been better off with 2 or 4 6v batteries with a lower capacity, therefore easier to charge? But, I have to live with what I have.

Look at my numbers and calculations... There is no right or wrong answer. Energy usage is a highly personal set of choices. But once you make those choices, building a "balanced" system to support those choices is critical to long term system success (and owner sanity).

For example, I did not look at your winter vs summer loads--If you have less loads in winter (no refrigerator/freezer or need engine block heaters in summer) vs summer (for example), it could change the system design requirements.

Do the paper designs first. You can figure out the pluses and minuses for each--And the associated costs.

Big battery systems are expensive. And if there is an Oops (something left on when you leave your home for a week) and kills the battery bank--You just have a 1/2 ton of scrap lead.
    Just checked the SG, it has gone from 1.17 to 1.225, so some improvement. :)

Great news. Ideally, you want to charge the batteries until the s.g. stops rising. At that point, log the temperature corrected specific gravity for each cell. That will be your "new" 100% SOC.

Your thoughts/questions?

-Bill
  • Chokosna Cabin
    Options

BB,

This will take a while for me to absorb.
    I still think I may have over estimated my usage. I have my Toyo stove, a freezer, my laptop, modem, and a led TV, a 12v flofet pump and A couple compact Flourescent lights in the evening. No fridge (propane), no microwave, no well. My inverter seldom shows usage higher than 2 amps (usually when my toyo kicks on). Next trip to Anchorage I will pick up a "kiil-a-watt" so I can determine more precisely what I am using. In another month my freezer will not draw anything, it is in my arctic entry and that will be below 0 soon.

Today I ran the charge at 15.6 for 3 hours and raised the SG from 1.17 to 1.23. I do have generator issues, it over heats, so I had to stop for today. I will do it again soon and try for the 1.26 SG. The generator, actually motor and belt driven generator, has a sweet spot where it obtains 120v @ 60hz. There is no adjustment on that, another reason to phase it out.

Rather than add to my solar panels, I am looking into hydro. I live on the Chokosna River and a small turbine running from April-October 24/7 could be very helpful. I live here year round, but the river will be frozen during the winter. This area doesn't get much snow, but it gets cold. Last winter the low was minus 67 and they had a 20 day stretch when the temp never broke minus 30. Diesel is more than inconvienent.

For now I will work on raising my SG, continue to read and learn and will chime in when I need to. Thanks again for everyone's help.
  • BB.
    Options

I don't know about the propane conversion, bu the the Honda EM4000SX was a very reliable/rugged 4kW genset and worked well in very cold winters with a 70 watt bulb in an outside small generator shed.

Choosing a good generator

Also the Champion gensets seem to run pretty well too (Costco down here sells one of them in the warehouse):

http://www.championpowerequipment.com/products/heavy-duty/

Personally, I am a big believer in getting a genset no bigger than the minimum needed to run your loads (plus a safety factor).

If you get a genset that is 2-4x larger than you need (for day to day), you can draw 2-4x more fuel per kWH.

In many cases, getting s second larger (cheaper?) genset to run shop tools and as a backup to the backup genset is not a bad idea either.

Regarding hydro--If you can do it--It will be a pretty near solution for you. Given that hydro runs 24x7 (when you have water), the actual peak power does not need to be too much. For a 3.3 kWH per day system:
    • 3,300 WH per day * 1/0.80 batt eff * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1/24 hours per day = 202 watt average Hydro output

Good Luck!
    -Bill
  • Blackcherry04
    Options

Once you find that you'v been deficit charging then you have to make a plan to turn it around. Having a large bank is a blessing and curse, it's like never balancing a check book. You only have two resources to charge, solar and the Generator. If you use solar to get you up to absorb voltage it takes very little amps to get you up too Equalization Voltage. I'd choose as small a Generator as possible. I don't know if you have a BTS on that Inverter so it'll get you to 2 % ending amps, if set correctly it should. A little Honda EU 2000 will charge that bank.

Only you know how you got into the hole your in. I'd put my self on a two week or more often schedule and check the SG's see where you are until you get a feel for it.
  • Chokosna Cabin
    Options

I think my deficit was the result of 2 factors. 1) never checked my batteries when i first bought them ie where they fully charged as claimed? 2) General lack of knowledge. I am working on fixing both!
  • BB.
    Options

We frequently call the first bank, the "training bank". I am not sure may of us here have made it through our solar/RV power experiences without "murdering" our first bank or so.

One reason we recommend getting the "cheaper" batteries for the first time. You learn how to take care of them and if you need a larger/smaller battery bank, after a few years of experience you know what you would do different the next time.

-Bill :cry:
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In general, I have found that too big a battery bank (relative to loads and charging capacity, is more problematic than one that is too small. In the net, the "too small" one often proves to be cheaper per KWH over their lifetime.

As a note about gennies. Given your local climate, I would shie away from a Propane (or diesel unit). I would consider something on the order of a Honda EU 2000, or perhaps eu 3000, and I would design inside storage for it. The advantage of theses small gennies is that y can store them inside (warm) and you don't have to waste energy to preheat them. I keep a pair of eu 1000s under my bench in my work room, in a sealed rubbermaid box, so no smell is present. At -40, I can take one out and it starts right now,and the oil is warm. Depending charger efficiency, a 2000 should deliver maybe 100 amps into 12 vdc. A 2000 is big enough to run small shop tools, barely, a 3000 quite well.

Tony
  • Chokosna Cabin
    Options

The generator I have coming is a Honda EU 3000 with the propane conversion to make it duel fuel (actually tri, but no chance for natural gas). I have a shed that houses the current generator and plan on either piping or having a small door to vent exhaust. Shed isn't used for any other purpose, so it would be safe. The shed does have a propane heater for the really cold day, otherwise I figured a battery heating pad would work for the starting battery.

All of this gives some flexibility on fuel and storage. But your suggestion is valid, my problem is space. It is a small cabin and space is precious!
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Options

Note - if that C-40 is anything like my C-12, it has adjustable bulk and float voltages, so one way to deal with insufficient absorb time is to set the float voltage to the same value as the bulk voltage. Now the 1 hour timer doesn't matter, but of course you now have no real float, but it may not matter if you never obtain a full charge anyway. At least this work-around will get you a little more charge in before losing the sun.
  • Chokosna Cabin
    Options

I have started charging again this morning and have increased from SG 1.23 to near 1.25 so I may be alright. If anything is lacking after today, I will separate the banks and charge individually. Time will tell, but I think my Crisis may have been averted. Got a e-mail from ABS Alasken, saying my generator is ready ad waiting for pick up in Fairbanks. Make up a list and plan for a long (370 miles each way) shopping trip. Probably my last for a while.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    I have started charging again this morning and have increased from SG 1.23 to near 1.25 so I may be alright. If anything is lacking after today, I will separate the banks and charge individually. Time will tell, but I think my Crisis may have been averted. Got a e-mail from ABS Alasken, saying my generator is ready ad waiting for pick up in Fairbanks. Make up a list and plan for a long (370 miles each way) shopping trip. Probably my last for a while.
    Good luck , your on the right track.

When I say I feel your pain, read this and know I am right there with you. It only took these 2 days to get in a hole.

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?21330-Commissioning-Day&p=172066#post172066
  • Chokosna Cabin
    Options

BC04,
    Think the saying is; misery loves company. I will be testing more often and will try not to allow this to happen again!
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi. You have youself an interesting set of problems. First and foresmost a lack of power production. A 4 figure amp hour battery with "4 solar panels" isnt going to bring happiness to even those in the mildest of climes. In the alaskan north, you have further constraints of course. Notably a big seasonal sun variation. If the hydro is intended to fill the winter gap, but it freezes, that also doenst sound real promising. Remember that hydro is best with high head, low flow. If your talking a river without much drop, again that isnt likely to be easy to work with.

First thing is to get your load survey a lot more accurate. Without those numbers your just spending money randomly. Second, get the production capacity up to speed, living off grid with insuffcient production is, to use chris olsens words, a misery and a chore.

Mean time, youve got a big battery and a big generator, and youll have to lean on those as best you can. Get the sgs up for a start, then what id be thinking is, as a day to day thing, run the battery down to ~50%, bring it back to 80% on the genset, and repeat. Every 10 days do a full asborb, sgs back to 100%. Try to minimize running the gen to do absorbs, your just burning fuel on the least efficient part of the batterys charge curve.

Oh, and skip the heater, the old ears always prick up when i hear solar and heater in the same sentence.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• Chokosna Cabin
    Options

A few points were mis-represented. They hydro is for the summer months in the northern hemisphere, not the winter. The "big" generator is on its way out for a properly sized one. As for battery charging, the generator is about the only way a charge will happen with little to no sun. Drop the heater? It's a fuel oil stove, and at minus 40 a necessary appliance.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi, found your blog , nice area you picked.

As Icarus stated you are probably best suited to the inverter style generator, as you chose, however getting a smaller unit as well can save you a lot of fuel once you get past the 'bulk' stage.
    You will need to calculate the number of amps needed at system voltage and the determine just what your charger will need in AC Amps to do the Absorb and Float phases. The peak load at the start of the Absorb phase will tell you which generator you will need. If it is close you can run the 3000 into the Absorb phase and then go to the smaller unit.
    As you probably know an Eu1000i will only use ~ 2 US quarts (2.1L) of gas in 8 hrs, just what the doc ordered for finishing a long charge.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Chokosna Cabin
    Options

WB,
    Thanks for checking out the site, I originally started writing to keep friends informed of my trip, but have come to enjoy the posts. I decided on the Honda EU 3000 as a safe middle ground. A fairly cost effective unit, yet able to deliver enough for power tools or provide power for the camper. I see your point on the 1000, and that could be in my future. For now the EU 3000 will do, as I have exhausted a lot of precious time with winter around the corner. I have miles of cutline to finish before trapping season in 5 weeks.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options

I also found your Blog while trying to figure where the heck you lived a few days ago. You have a great story to tell and We all hope it works out for you. As was said your going to learn to share your power between loads and charging and what works best. Living within the 50-80 % dod is a fact of life and getting a full charge every 10 days or so. Once you get out of the hole your in now it will become much easier. I don't know how you measure your battery level, I used volts at the battery and a Hydrometer. Once upon a time I counted Amps in / out, but I gave up as to much aggravation to keep calibrated.

Good Luck and don't be a stranger, there is always someone here.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

CC , just went looking for the Ah rating of your batteries. Can you ad a Sig Line so that your details show when you post, makes it so much simpler for us other Old guys... Anyway using rough math you will probably draw ~ 12 amps from the genny for your 110 Amps at 12V needed for a 10% charge rate. This leaves you some head space to do other things while you Bulk charge.

I don't know if your Inverter/charger has a bypass for the AC while charging is occurring, but if it does you will not be pulling power away from the batteries while the genny is trying to pump them in so to speak. In other words you will be maxing out on Amps In to the battery, while doing other chores (opportunity loads) and getting the most done for the fuel consumed.

Check out some of Chris Olsen's posts on how to heat a small genny frugally by building a minimal enclosure around the genny.

ciao

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Chokosna Cabin
    Options

I took your hint on the signature line. My inverter/charger does have a by-pass. When I start the generator the priority is to fill the current demand i.e. lights, freezer, running tools. The remaining available amperage goes to the inverter to charge batteries. My normal draw isn't much more than a few amps, unless I have the tools out.

BC04, Glad you found the site, enjoy the stories and pictures. Never did get the Gallery to work correctly, so I just posted pics at the end of each blog.