Ground Fault Protection Ordered

Options
Thomas
Thomas Solar Expert Posts: 291
Hi, I ordered one of these Midnite solar 63 A ground fault protectors. I read that they,re requires on arrays now. The reccomendation on the blog I read was Plus+60% of rated PV amps?! I am at 24v45A approc. so I think it should do for a while. From what I understand it breaks the circuit both pos/neg at a pos fault[63A] or a neg fault[ 0.5A].
But they turned out to be out of stock so I am waiting till next week for the order to fill&ship from NAWS.
along with an AC breaker for my inverted AC.to house connection.
24v is better than 12v. I am going to hopefully continue building a 24v array and move my 12v serial combinations to hot water.
I got a new TS-45, though connecting to a computer has been easy! I had to get a usb/serial w/a chip in it.
cchheerriiooss
Always troubleshoot with adequate sunlight.  Hi Ho Hi Ho
2.3kW [10] Enecsys SMI-240-60 micro inverters

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Re: Ground Fault Protection Ordered

I think DC Ground Fault Interrupters as currently required by code is unsafe and violates the basic requirements that DC Return (typically negative bus) is bolted solidly to earth/safety ground.

The NEC DC GFI puts a ~1 amp fuse/breaker between negative return and earth/safety ground. There is almost no good reason to do this and a lot of reasons that this is not a good idea and can be dangerous.

-Bill 'in my humble opinion' B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset