Charging boat batteries

I have a Trace DR2424 (modified sine wave) inverter. Can I use a battery charger with this inverter to charge the battery in my boat ? Will this work or will it ruin the battery charger?

Comments

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Charging boat batteries

Most battery chargers can handle another charger (DR) along with itself on the one battery.

I wouldn't hesitate to try the two together. If you see or smell smoke, disconnect one or both
    of them.
    boB
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

is it my understanding you have a 24v battery and wish to charge a 12v battery by using an inverter and a charger? it may be easier and cheaper to use a downconverting mppt controller like an sb50 or mx60. you can use some lighter gage wire to limit the current, but the wire could get very hot so use some precautions. if you already have the inverter and the charger then go for it as it should work. ac chargers will limit the current, but a controller will not limit the current in bulk charge mode without some current limiting resistance inline so it would be like a 24v battery connected to a 12v battery without this resistance.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks Bob,Niel,
    Niel you are correct. I have a Trace DR2424 inverter, C40 controller, DC250 disconnect for future growth, four L16 batteries 24v, four KC 120S and six Arco 2000 panels. The Arco's are old but I get 180 watts out of them. The system is for a 1000 sq ft home at 9400 ft altitude in the mountains of Co. This is a second home that is our getaway form it all and to go fishing. Thus the question of charging the boat batteries with a battery charger using this system. I will try it the next time were there.

Thanks guys
    Steve
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

OH ! I guess I didn't understand that you wanted to go from DC to DC...

boB