Xantrex GT inverter recall

Options
2»

Comments

• astro209
    astro209 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    Re: Xantrex GT inverter recall

I realize this thread has been buried for a while, but I recently picked up a GT3.0 and I have a few questions. I'm hoping some of you are still around and can answer them.

I am trying to get the unit to produce power using three home made solar panels, but I am not sure if the panels are producing enough power to trigger the inverter. I am getting 170vdc at 2.5 amps. The other strange thing is that the inverter is only reporting 0.1 amps from my array. I get the 2.5 amp reading using my multi-meter. For the moment, I am simply trying to see if the unit is functional. Some of the thin-film capacitors were leaking so I did go through the unit and replace all the thin-film caps with new higher rated thin-film caps. Also, are these the caps the ones that were failing? Or was it the large round ones on the DC input board? The unit powers on and displays the reconnect count down. At the end of the countdown the online light comes on but the power output just reads 0 watts. 170 volts at 2.5 amps is 425 Watts. I just don't know if the voltage is high enough to kick the inverter in the butt..

Thanks!
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi astru ..

Welcome to the Forum.

Believe BB Bill, a moderator here uses this inverter or a similar one.

Looking at the specs:
    http://www.wholesalesolar.com/pdf.folder/inverter%20pdf%20folder/XantrexGT3.0InverterDatasheet.pdf

Looks like this inverter would like 195 V minimum input V. And the 170 V that you have measured may well be Voc -- no load voltage, which would be reduced when current is being drawn.

Will wait for others to chime in. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

As I remember (and according to the manual) you need about 195 VDC minimum on the solar input for MPPT...

Do you get "Insufficient Solar Energy" error message (at the beginning/end of the day, my Vmp~320 volt array will give that warning message). It appears that I need ~0.2 amps on the LCD screen for the inverter to start (and not give the ISE message).

The capacitor where (as I recall) AC output capacitors (that failed). They did not affect the nominal operation of the GT inverter (unless they failed or blew the covers off from acetylene gas).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Options

Have a Zantrex GT 3.8 and had the recall kit installed. It is a daughter board that replaces the capacitors on the AC side. Easy to change out. 170 VDC even if your panels can produce that under a load is not enough to work it. Mine system starts at over 300 VDC and when starts producing needs @ 15 Watts DC input to get any output. Once production is stable it can maintain it to somewhat lower voltages.

If you are measuring your panels non loaded and getting that as suggested your Vmp or voltage under load will be lower.

These inverters work best with loaded working voltages in the 250-300 VDC range.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!