Charge Controllers

Options
rklein
rklein Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello, this is my first post so please bear with me

I have a project Network Cameras (12VDC), Wireless Devices and Fiber Devices (both 24VDC). Using Solar Panels and 12VDC charge Controllers and 12VDC to 24VDC converters takes care of all the devices. My question is: where do 24VDC Charge controllers like product SunLight 20 Amp 24 Volt Solar Lighting Controller fit into the picture?

I'm trying to reduce the number of devices in the installation. Is it possible to delete the 12VDC to 24VDC converters from the Bill of Materials? I have not seen 24VDC batteries.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Charge Controllers

Welcome to the forum.

A 24 Volt battery bank can be made from lower Voltage batteries wired in series (four 6 Volts, two 12 Volts). It is quite common in off-grid systems.

You have a mixture of 12 Volt and 24 Volt devices, so you need to have both Voltages available. You would probably be better off having 24 Volts as the primary power source and using the DC to DC converter to drop it to 12 Volts for those items that need it. This would reduce the current demands on the battery wiring.

The exception to this would be the matter of how much power the 12 Volt devices draw: if it exceeds or is very close to the maximum current the converter can handle and the 24 Volt demands are less then 12 should be the primary Voltage, to avoid overloading the converter.

You probably would not use a charge controller that has lighting control, as that is designed specifically for turning loads on/off according to light on the panels (i.e. nighttime safety lighting). There are PWM and MPPT type controllers that can do either 12 or 24 Volts, but not both at once.