Washington, D.C. Unanimously Passes Community Solar Legislation

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
feature-0-1380653766449.jpg The D.C. Council voted unanimously today, October 1st, to pass the Community Renewables Energy Act of 2013 (B20-0057).* With this favorable vote, D.C. becomes the tenth state in the nation to enact community solar legislation.* Other states of note that have passed similar legislation include Colorado, Massachusetts, Vermont, California, and, most

More...

Comments

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Re: Washington, D.C. Unanimously Passes Community Solar Legislation

The article title had me going there for a moment. It's the Washington, D.C. local government that passed something unanimously.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

geography lesson for non Yankees:
    D.C. becomes the tenth state in the nation to enact community solar legislation.

WIKI says:As permitted by the U.S. Constitution, the District is under the exclusive jurisdiction of the United States Congress and is therefore not a part of any U.S. state.

later:A locally elected mayor and 13-member council have governed the District since 1973; however, the Congress maintains supreme authority over the city and may overturn local laws. The District has a non-voting, at-large Congressional delegate, but no senators.

But it does NOT say it is a state, I always knew it as District of Columbia...??... Can someone please illuminate us?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

More or less, the reason for Washington DC to be "purely" federal territory:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C.
    An Algonquian-speaking people known as the Nacotchtank inhabited the area around the Anacostia River when the first Europeans arrived in the 17th century.[3] However, the Nacotchtank people had largely relocated from the area by the early 18th century.[4]
    In his "Federalist No. 43", published January 23, 1788, James Madison argued that the new federal government would need authority over a national capital to provide for its own maintenance and safety.[5] Five years earlier, a band of unpaid soldiers besieged Congress while its members were meeting in Philadelphia. Known as the Pennsylvania Mutiny of 1783, the event emphasized the need for the national government not to rely on any state for its own security.[6]
    Article One, Section Eight of the United States Constitution therefore permits the establishment of a "District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States."[7] However, the Constitution does not specify a location for the capital. In what is now known as the Compromise of 1790, Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and Thomas Jefferson came to an agreement that the federal government would pay each state's remaining Revolutionary War debts in exchange for establishing the new national capital in the Southern United States.[8][a]

Given the politics (and other political "hot buttons"), for many decades (if not longer), there has been a push to make Washington DC a state (not to say that the current form of WashDC governance has been very good for the folks living there for the past several centuries)--Give it two senators and (at least one) House Member. It can be assumed that Washington DC, the state, would vote predominantly for one of the two major parties--So, I would guess, you are seeing a little political softening up of the general US population to support making WDC a full state (what--is not DC already a state? kind of attitude).

But--You are correct, Washington DC is not a state and the two "senators" and one "house member" can only have their votes recorded if they do not change the outcome of the federal congress votes (as I recall).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Bill, at first I thought it would be about PV's going back on the White House.

YA, I wouldn't want to dig deeper , might dig up a skeleton or 3

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

there's also another aspect called washington bg. bg=below ground. they probably have another city down there for our elite politicians.