How to improve system?

2»

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: How to improve system?
    krharley wrote: »
    i had a whole wall pre-wired for 120v at the 2' level, and 12v at 3' level. so i had like 6 outlets at 12v from old system, but i replaced the 12 volt inverter to 24 volts, so everything i had wired/plugged into the outlets that was 12v went 24 volts i guess. i know my fans are spinning real real fast, and my floursent lighting was blinking, un plugged the lights, liked the fans going that fast.checked voltage and i have 24, so their at least 4 years old, thinking i could run em till they quit. it puts out like it should have from the beginning to me, but thats me. how long do you think they would work if i keep them at 24v, a wild guess?
    i probably should change that back to 12 like you suggested, i wouldn't have thought to use one half of bank, good idea. i did like that lighting i had as well, its only stuff that is used after hours, the fans blows the sqitters away from ya when sleeping-their very loud here, and the little lite for when i wake up in middle of night, so it shouldn't draw them off much, they use 10 watts 0.08amps is what the sticker says. i'm gonna run the kill-o-watt tonight while still at 24v, then switch it back.those 2 wires we one the old load for the pro-star 30 for the 12v
    thanks
    Incandescent lights will last a few seconds. LED or fluorescent fixtures will either survive a long time, fail immediately, or somewhere in between ("It depends!")
    Motor appliances like fans will actually probably tolerate it best of all load types if you do not mind the motor running too fast. The increase in power and heat dissipation in the motor will not be in proportion to the increase in voltage. And some motors will actually work more efficiently at the higher voltage.
    In some cases DC appliance switches will not be rated for 24 or 30 volts and may fail prematurely.

Executive Summary: It is NOT a good idea and can actually lead to DC devices catching fire and burning down the house.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Skippy
    Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭
    i had a whole wall pre-wired for 120v at the 2' level, and 12v at 3' level.
    thanks

I have not been keeping up with the numbers and figures in this post.

In my travels trying to figure out my system, I came across this charge controller .. http://www.solar-electric.com/mosumpsochco.html - what surprised me, is that is says right in the instructions, that it can be used to charge a 12 V system FROM a 24 V system . . now, since I have not been keeping up with the numbers, would the OP not be able to use the exsiting equipment that is already there to do something similar ? Have the newly made 24 V system - charge a smaller 12 V - system to run low power lights and fans only ?

Like I said, have not been keeping up with the equipment or its capacities. Just a thought. I just hate to hear that you blew up your stuff trying to run it on 24 V. . :cry:
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
    3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
    9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
    Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Yes, he can. That would fall under Option #4 in Post #29; construct a separate 12 Volt system for the 12 Volt loads.

The 15 Amp Morningstar MPPT is over $200, hence why I said this would be expensive.
  • Skippy
    Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭

Sorry about that Cariboocoot, I did see your suggestion about NEW equipment, but also seen post # 24
    also have 2 HF kits wired together and ditched the cc that came with it.

Just thought I would suggest it, pointing out that she may be able to get 2 systems up and running without buying more equipment, by using the stuff that is "no good now."

may be way off base, just a thought.
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
    3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
    9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
    Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Skippy wrote: »
    Sorry about that Cariboocoot, I did see your suggestion about NEW equipment, but also seen post # 24

Just thought I would suggest it, pointing out that she may be able to get 2 systems up and running without buying more equipment, by using the stuff that is "no good now."

may be way off base, just a thought.

There's more than one way to skin a banana. :D

The HF panels aren't very good, frankly. But some people do indeed have two entirely separate systems of different Voltages and some will charge the lower from the higher and some just sell all the old stuff and put in all new. It depends on what works best for you. We just try to point out the possibilities and pitfalls.
  • krharley
    krharley Solar Expert Posts: 34

yes your right, i'v had my eye on that for a minute. i already have one similar morningstar 10L for my HF panels that i started with with a 8D battery i use for the rest of my lights. i seem to have alot of lights, outside included in that. so its not a problem to switch the bed light over to that., iys only a few feet away. i use the fans in summer time at night to sleep. but i really like how fast their going. cool fronts are starting so i won't be using them much till next summer. but ill be watching them, they seem to like it as well. i feel the fan 6' away! before u had to be right under it. its not hot or smelly- just fast. not enough to spin out, it's got those clamp style mounts, you just clamp them onto something, and their not moving, so i'm gonna test them. they seem like they can take it.they seem to like going fast as well. these are cheapo 9.00 fans at wallyworld., their already 4 years old at slow speed