Determining Correct Minimum Sun-hours For A Design?

Options
KE5YD
KE5YD Solar Expert Posts: 32 ✭✭
Newbie here! 1st post.
Co-ordinates: Lat. 32.9 deg.N Long. 104.4 deg.W

I have been trying to find the min. sun-hours for my location. I have found a few sites with somewhat conflicting data.

Such as PvWatts, NASA, and another 1 or 2. Which site is generally accepted as being the best?

I am trying to design a small 12v battery system that will reliably furnish 500whrs/day with 2.5 days of no-sun. Summer time

temps can reach 110F and Winter temps can go as low as -15F. These are not the Max/Min recorded extremes; but occur fairly

frequently. I have read a number of Post and know there is a wealth of knowledge here. Your comments are muchly

appreciated!

R. A. [ke5yd]

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Determining Correct Minimum Sun-hours For A Design?

Hi Robert,

Welcome to this Forum.

Determining the MINIMUM sun might be fairly difficult.

PVWatts2 should do a good job in showing the average. This is what I would use. Then you may want to play with battery capacity to accommodate those times when there may be heavy clouds.

If this is for a remote site that is often unattended, then using conservative numbers might help. Opinions, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options

Welcome to the forum R.A.!

I use PV Watts--It is based on ~20 year average data and therefore included "average" data. It may be on the "conservative" side a bit... But well close enough to size a system.

Also, long term (1 year averages) can easily vary by ~5%. And if you have regional variations (marine layer, monsoons, etc.), you can get +/-10% year over year differences from "predicted".

And on a daily/weekly level--Long term averages do not mean a lot. A "typical" battery bank recommendation by many of us here would be 2 days of storage to 50% maximum discharge (for longer battery life). So--In my area--On the coast we have ~4 days of fog/low marine layer and 2 days of sun during much of the summer. And during the winter we can get a string of vary dark clouds/heavy storms for 4-7 days where there the solar production is 5% of a clear day (almost nothing useful).

So--Here we are--A "two day" battery bank and 4-7 day "sun outages". No matter how large of an array--We will either need to use less power during the "dark times", use a generator, and/or connect to the grid (I am grid tied with only generator backup--so this is the Royal "We").

For a first time run through--We try to design the basic system (battery, inverter, charger, solar array, genset, etc.) using rules of thumbs. They get pretty close to the "optimum" system--And if you have special needs (irrigation, medicines that need refrigeration, etc.), we can then customize for those uses.

And, that brings us back to understanding your power needs... Solar power is not cheap--And building a larger system than you need is expensive (and building a too small system is a "waste of money too").

So, 1) measure your loads (kill-a-Watt meter, you utility meter, etc.). 2) conservation {it is almost always cheaper to conserve power than to generate power}. 3) remeasure your needs. 4) high-level design--just the numbers. 5) do a couple paper hardware designs to see best $$$/performance for your needs. 6) now you are ready to buy parts.

While I can go through and give you generic rules and equations... It usually is less frustrating if you give us "your energy needs" (watts average peak, Watt*Hours per day, Grid Tied, off Grid, Hybrid--GT normally, off grid in an emergency), etc.

If you have grid power and want emergency backup--You normally only plan on the minimum amount of loads needed in the emergency.

If you are off grid--You figure your minimum required daily loads and divide by 1/0.75 or 1/0.66 -- You don't want to plan on 100% of your power generated in a day unless you are ready to use backup power sources more often (generator, grid, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • KE5YD
    Options

Thanks! for comments....Vic and BB
    I have used the Kilowatt-Meter already and have a good feel for my "needs". PVWatts shows a little less than 5 for sun-hours in Dec. and Jan. and the best I can determine from the NASA data would put them closer to 4 for tilted panels. Now, for the design math. I have seen articles and post
    doing the math; but, I lack confidence in my understanding of the process. My "needs" are a 12v battery system yielding 500whrs/day with 2.5 days autonomy. I know there is a difference between a PWM setup and a MPPT and have read the positives and negatives of both. Since I live in the Desert Southwest it's hot and I was thinking that a PWM setup might not be able to properly charge and equalize a 12v bank? I would like to see comments about this concern? Also, would there be a difference in the recommended panel wattage with the 2 types of controllers?
    R. A.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KE5YD wrote: »
    Since I live in the Desert Southwest it's hot and I was thinking that a PWM setup might not be able to properly charge and equalize a 12v bank? I would like to see comments about this concern? Also, would there be a difference in the recommended panel wattage with the 2 types of controllers?

Yours will be a small system (500 wh per day), so PWM might be more cost effective. The main determining factor should be your panels... what voltage are they? The cheapest panels (dollars per watt) will not have suitable voltage for a PWM controller. You are stuck paying more for your panels and less for your PWM controller, or less for your panels and more for an MPPT controller.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    Options

Quick rules of thumb based on your needs for 500 WH of DC power per day:
    • 500 Watt*Hours * 1/12 volt battery bank * 2.5 days of stored power * 1/0.50 max discharge = 208 AH battery bank @ 12 volts

To charge a battery bank, we generally start with a 5% to 13% rate of charge:
    • 208 AH * 14.5 volts charging * * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.05 rate of charge = 196 watt array minimum
    • 208 AH * 14.5 volts charging * * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.10 rate of charge = 392 watt array nominal
    • 208 AH * 14.5 volts charging * * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.13 rate of charge = 509 watt array "cost effective maximum"

Closest place is Lubbock Texas in PV Watts. Fixed array, tilted to latitude (34 degrees from horizontal):
    Month    Solar Radiation (kWh/m 2/day)
    1      4.78     
    2      5.48     
    3      6.29     
    4      6.40     
    5      6.43     
    6      6.45     
    7      6.00     
    8      6.13     
    9      5.87     
    10      6.27     
    11      5.35     
    12      4.80     
    Year      5.86      

Typically, I would toss the bottom three months and use a generator for backup--But you have pretty sunny winters, so we can use 4.78 hours minimum (average) sum.

500 WH * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 1/4.78 hours of sun = 136 Watt array minimum.

In this case, the optimal range of solar array would be 196 to 509 Watts.

In general, a lightly used system could get away with 5% rate of charge--And a system deeply cycled every day--probably 10% to 13% rate of charge.

But, because of the large amounts of average sun you get, even in winter, you could get away with a smaller than nominal array probably just fine.

In general, a PWM controller will work fine with 400 watts or less of solar panels. And for over 800 watts, a MPPT charge controller usually works better.

Yes, in very hot climates, even Vmp~17.5 volt panels can have significant Vmp depression because of hot weather... So setting up a solar array with > 17.5 Vmp will give you higher voltage to finish charge the batteries even on hot days (and with cool batteries--putting batteries in a basement/under ground "bunker" can help here).

Also, if you are in the ~200+ watt range, a single large format panel may be of interest (cheapest $$$/Watt). Of course, that would require a MPPT controller for optimum power conversion.

Then there is the issue of shipping solar panels--Roughly ~140 watt panels (which are available in 17.5 volt Vmp "12 volt" panels) are about the maximum size you can ship via UPS/Bus/Etc. (still not cheap to ship).

A ~208 AH battery bank would be 2x 6 volt 220 AH battery bank (golf cart batteries) would be a good start--Relatively cheap, pretty rugged, batteries.

Once you have selected the battery bank size, then go back and recalculate the Array Size... Then pick the correct controller.

For example, say you pick a 250 Watt solar array--Roughly 2x 130 Watt panels or one 250 Watt panel.

For a PWM controller, a pair of 130 watt panels (2* $250 each):
    Specifications:

Vmp
    18.1 Volts

Imp
    7.38 Amps

Voc
    22.0 Volts

Isc
    7.89 Amps

Pmax
    130 Watts

Tolerance
    +/- 5%

Length
    57.7 Inches

Width
    26.0 Inches

Depth
    1.97 Inches

26.51b(12.0kg)

The current would be ~2*Imp=14.76 amps -- A 15 to 20 amp PWM Controller (check specifications for controller and Imp-Array ratings).

For a 250 Watt panel (1x $265) on MPPT (or two 130 watt panels in series):
    Pmax: 250 Watts
    Voc: 37.6 Volts
    Vmp: 30.5 Volts
    Isc: 8.81 Amps
    Imp: 8.27 Amps
    Weight: 46.7 Pounds
    65.94" x 39.41" x 1.22"

250 watts * 0.77 panel+controller derating * 1/14.5 volts charging = 13.3 Amps minimum MPPT controller rating

MorningStar makes a very nice little MPPT 15 amp 12/24 controller that would work well here.

No "right or wrong" answers--Just what works best for you (and $$/performance for your needs).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'm curious of the purpose you have in mind for this. ham radio? if so then what are some of the specifics you have in mind for operation? do you have the grid there as it is tough to tell via google earth? love the antenna farm btw.
  • KE5YD
    Options

Hello Neil,
    Yes, my primary interest is for Ham radio.....vhf/uhf on primarily receive for 16 hrs/day, hf operation on 160m daily 2hrs min [tx and
    rcv] transceiver with 500w output amp.....possibly a couple more hours on hf thru-out the day [primarily on rcv]. From my kilo-watt meter(as best as I can determine) around 400 whrs/day. I am on the grid; but want to do the R. E. thing Your Google Earth must be far better than mine if you SAW an Antenna Farm?? Hi ! Hi ! I have a couple dipoles/wire antennas, a 160m vertical, and vhf/uhf type antennas. I have a yagi [not up]but operate mostly low-band. TNX for reply!
    R. A.
    mostly
  • KE5YD
    Options

Hello Bill,
    Hey! Thanks for the in-depth reply; your calculations and comments are greatly appreciated. I think I now understand the calculations better. I do have a few questions left though:
    1. IF I were to go the inverter route, I would determine the useage there, then use the .52 efficiency factor and back-track the design from there?
    2. IS the panel/controller derating factor [.77] determining from something like .85 for the panels and .90 for the controller? .80 for the batteries?
    3. IF there is a 10-30% capture increase for mppt over pwm; Is this normally taken into account when computing panel wattage?
    4. This one concerns me the most...I have seen in a number of posts, people using or wanting to use the Morningstar 15 mppt controller
    with panel wattage [G.T.] greater than 200 watts for a 12v system. Is there something I need to know? Such as normal or induced loss between the panels and controller, or maybe an upgraded controller version?
    Again, Thanks!
    R. A.
  • BB.
    Options

Hi R.A.,

Lots of questions... Here we go:
    KE5YD wrote: »
    1. IF I were to go the inverter route, I would determine the useage there, then use the .52 efficiency factor and back-track the design from there?

The typical efficiency factors we use for our rules of thumbs:
    • 81% for Solar panel (derate for temperature, dust, wiring losses)
    • 95% for GT Inverter or MPPT charge controller
    • 80% for flooded cell batteries (can use 90% for AGM)
    • 85% for AC inverter
    • 0.81*0.95*0.80*0.85 = 0.52 = 52% end to end "typical worst case" system efficiency

You can "adjust the numbers" for your needs... I.e., AGM vs Flooded cell battery, no AC inverter, dropping much of the battery losses if system is mostly used during daylight hours, etc.

Note that the 0.81*0.95=0.77 used for solar panels+MPPT type charge/GT controllers... Also is close enough for use with PWM controller + Panels. The losses between "marketing rating" of solar panels and a PWM controller in a well configured system are for different reasons, but still works out to about the same efficiency number.
    2. IS the panel/controller derating factor [.77] determining from something like .85 for the panels and .90 for the controller? .80 for the batteries?

As above, the 0.77 is typical (summer) weather derating for solar panels + Charge Controller (or + Grid Tied inverter if you that type of system). We use this derating to figure out the current available for charging a battery bank (so battery losses are not "accounted for " here).
    3. IF there is a 10-30% capture increase for mppt over pwm; Is this normally taken into account when computing panel wattage?

You might see a true 10-15%+ increase in solar panel output in very cold weather on clear days (below freezing weather). Remember that MPPT controllers are "constant power" Devices with a ~5% loss. And solar panel Vmp voltage rises around 0.3% per degree C for every degree C below 25C panel "Cell" temperature.

Remember that cell temperature for a solar panel may be 20-35 C above ambient temperature (standard test condition is 25C "flash" test -- Bright light for a few seconds to check panel output but not raise its temperature). But for panels that are spending hours under a hot sun, assuming a 20-35C rise of cell temperature is only practical. NOCT (normal operating cell temperature) is usually defined as 45C (25C ambient + 20C rise).

Note that there is a slight increase in Imp current as cell temperature rises--But it is ~1/5 to 1/10 the temperature sensitivity as Vmp -- So normally it is ignored.

The ~0.81 panel derating accounts for temperature derating, dust, and some panel aging. I try to be conservative--You don't want the system to only work well on the first day of install in Winter--You want it working well 10 years down the road on hot summer days too.

If you get within 10% of predicted performance (based on our estimates here)--you are doing well... Between variability in weather (clouds, temperature, viability, humidity) and measurement errors (shunts, meters, etc.)--Expecting anything closer is not really possible without using lab equipment.
    4. This one concerns me the most...I have seen in a number of posts, people using or wanting to use the Morningstar 15 mppt controller with panel wattage [G.T.] greater than 200 watts for a 12v system. Is there something I need to know? Such as normal or induced loss between the panels and controller, or maybe an upgraded controller version?

We can "over panel" MPPT charge controllers (and grid tied inverters) for two reasons. Good quality US/European designed MPPT charge controllers monitor their output current (or power) and will not exceed their design limits (buck mode switching power supply can control output current and voltage). To the point that sometimes, people will by a small MPPT solar charge controller and down convert a 24 to 48 volt battery bank ("unlimited" current) and charge a smaller auxiliary 12 volt battery bank (to run their HAM gear).

The other reason is for "optimum" cost of hardware... If you assume that most of the time you will only get ~77% of the solar panel+charge controller for a typical installation--We can over size the array by 1/0.77 -- And for only very few hours per year will the controller "limit" its output current (very cool/clear days around noon).

You can even over array with more solar panels--It just will mean that the "small" MPPT charge controller will spend more hours a year in output current limit mode... My math:

15 amps * 14.5 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings = 282 Watt array "cost effective maximum" for an MPPT controller

Note, you cannot do this "up rated solar array" with PWM controllers--They do not have the capability to modulate their output current (they are simply On/Off controllers).

Make sense?

-Bill
  • niel
    Options

ra,
    it's a farm compared to here. (n3ghx) it looked as though the flagpole may also be an antenna or is it just a bad pic? anyway in my opinion the 15a morningstar mppt may be just a bit to under rated for you. you could opt for some of the higher current rated ones on naws, but if straight dc operations are to be used you could opt for the rogue 30a mppt.

in general i think anything above 200w in pv should work. pricing is pretty close to each other in the 200w-250w range so go higher if you can. 200w x .77 = 154w. over 5hrs of full intensity sun that gives 770wh and can account for clouds or seasonal low points. rarely would extra charging be needed, but that can be varied by how much use it. anything higher may zap any cushion and lower may allow the charge to catch up some.

i'm guessing you might want an agm type of battery for this stuff as it doesn't normally out gas and will have a slightly higher voltage than standard lead acid batteries in addition to the higher efficiency bill mentioned.
  • KE5YD
    Options

Thanks for comments Neil! I took a "look at you" on Qrz an noticed that you also run your station off of PV. I'm curious what you think your "Ham needs" are PV-wise? Also, what kind of PV-hardware are you using? Looks like it's Time to seriously consider purchasing some..........
    R. A.
  • KE5YD
    Options

Bill,
    Thanks for bearing-with-me and presenting the educational material and commentary. On Morningstar's website, I did find where THEY explain the "over-paneling" business for THEIR mppt controllers. So that puts my mine at ease. As I told Neil, it's time to seriously consider the hardware.
    I'm pretty well convinced that with my high temps, that a PWM will not be able to equalize in the Summer months. I'm not sure about the importance of this, but...........? I don't have a good-feel for Operating Cell Temp. versus Ambient?
    I think I'll take a look at the Rogue 3048; even though it's 2nd generation, it's still fairly NEW.
    Thanks BB!
    R. A.
  • BB.
    Options

The Rogue 3048 is actually Marc's third generation controller (his other two were 12/24 volt units)... Have not read anyone here that have used it yet (just came out a month or two ago)--But his first two generation units were very solid performers with lots of built-in functions (networking, logging, etc.) that others charged extra for.

Regarding cell tempertature, put your had on a black car in full sun--Much hotter than ambient... How much is that temperature increase for a solar panel?...

"it depends"... The highest (worst case numbers) I have seen is 35C (Xantrex used this number in their calculations). In standard conditions, NOCT (normal operating cell temperature) is usually 45C on panel specs.

This website has a NOCT calculator (no wind):

http://pvcdrom.pveducation.org/MODULE/NOCT.htm

And here is NOCT definition:
    A PV module will be typically rated at 25 °C under 1 kW/m2. However, when operating in the field, they typically operate at higher temperatures and at somewhat lower insolation conditions. In order to determine the power output of the solar cell, it is important to determine the expected operating temperature of the PV module. The Nominal Operating Cell Temperature (NOCT) is defined as the temperature reached by open circuited cells in a module under the conditions as listed below:
    Irradiance on cell surface = 800 W/m2
    Air Temperature = 20°C
    Wind Velocity = 1 m/s
    Mounting = open back side.

Note that mounting a solar panel hard against the roof can increase cell temperatures by ~10C.

-Bill
  • niel
    Options

solar setups vary by use. i didn't run my stuff as often as you, i'm not using as much equipment as you are, and i'm in a less sunny location than you are so both are different scenarios. even our guesstimates can be wrong, but you can up the amount of pv if you wish any time and you can up the battery capacity if done within about a year and the batteries don't get abused so you have some room to play if you plan for this possibility. part of that is the wiring to be extra big to carry extra current from a possible pv increase and allowing for the extra capacity in the controller avoiding the need to buy another, but paralleling another cc later can be done even though it is more expensive than a single cc. if you go with a 250w pv for example then quicky math might be 250w/12v=20.83a. if the cc has 30a capability like the rogue then adding another 250w pv would not be wise being it would clip off about 10a of current being the output of 2 pvs could exceed 40a and stress the cc at its max operating ability.

as to my pvs, i am in the midst of trying to configure a mount for my pvs as i have a unique circumstance due to my limited area. this may take some time to design something and implement it. i do have some smaller pvs in place now and are not very well placed or mounted.
  • KE5YD
    Options

Hi Niel.....!

I wasn't thinking when I ask about your situation.....I should have realized the unique-ness of most everyone.

I appreciate the "points of consideration" for Future expansion. Hope your mounting implementation goes well.

Sorry about misspelling your Name......I finally woke up....

R. A.
  • Vic
    Options

Hi again Robert,

We run all of our Hammie radio stuff from off-grid PV charged systems. And as niel mentioned, the requirements for RE (generally PV) input, inverters and batteries are very specific to the demands placed on these.

As an additional note, you had mentioned "inverter" in the past, and in my experience, many 12 VDC-powered HF transceivers behave poorly when run directly from a 12 V battery that is not being charged at the time of use.

Many will not make rated power, and on SSB (and perhaps AM) the IMD products increase dramatically due to voltage sag. Most of these transceivers have a 12 V input spec of 13.4 - 13.8 VDC for input power.

Have tried using a battery to power a 100 W ICOM transceiver in the past, and the result was poor. A very cold battery would probably help this situation, but this is not a practical "solution".

We use standard "12 VDC" ac-operated supplies here to resolve this issue. Am late getting back to this Thread, and this may have been noted.

Will add that current production 12 V HF radios have a bit wider input voltage spec vs those that were produced a decade or more ago. ARRL or other Lab Tests may help reveal the sensitivity of a particular HF XCVR to Vin variations.

FM VHF/UHF transceivers appear to be more immune to this situation, but no guarantees.

FWIW. 73 Vic K6IC
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    Options

You can also get those buck/boost converters intended to be installed in cars to hold the voltage at ~13.8 volts and run that from your off grid battery bank...

But then, you may as well look at going AC inverter + 12 VDC system supply...

-Bill
  • KE5YD
    Options

Thanks! Vic and BB for your concerns and comments..........I have been wondering if I might SEE some unknown problems develop when that 500W output amp starts jerking 70 amps Peak at a syllabilic rate [SSB]from a couple GC2s in series; especially when a 100W transceiver is also wanting 20A? I believe that if the battery is topped-off well everything would be OK for a short while? I think that my Kenwood HF rig will work between 11 and 15v ok? Need to check manual.....1 time my regulated PS unregulated and dumped 23v into it on Field Day and I thought IT was a goner; but IT checked out OK. Lucky I guess? I think that if I pull the battery down too much, it will start to FM. Also, a volt or 2 difference on that amp sure makes quite abit difference in output. MY 1st thoughts, if problems develop, were to series a GC2-6 with a GC2-8 for around 14.7v; then I don't know if I could properly charge the combo with PV? MY next thoughts [it's getting painful] were to go with a small inverter for the transceiver and run the amp off of the battery? Option 3 might be to try separate batteries? Option 4, and thanks for suggestion BB, would be to use a transceiver voltage booster? Since I believe in the KISS principle, option 4 might be the best, but I'm open for other Ideas or Comments?

R. A.
  • BB.
    Options

Do you want significant 120 VAC for anything else--Or do you just need "12 volts DC" for your ham shack loads?

You can program many of these MPPT controller for a 14 volt battery bank (7 cells in series)--And acheive the "night time" voltage goals.

The problem can be that you are looking at ~14.5 to 15.5 volts for charging a 12 volt bank or 16.9 to 18.1 volts charging a 14 volt (7 cell) battery bank... And you may fry the rig from over voltage.

Personally, if I only needed 12 VDC--I would look at the buck/boost 12 VDC converter you see in the Ham mags.

And I would still get a MorningStar 300 Watt TSW 12 VDC AC inverter to run other loads (computer, lights, other 120 VAC friendly equipment). This inverter has both "sleep" mode (looking for >6 watts of 120 VAC load) and remote on/off with 12 volt signal line--Very easy to keep battery power usage to a minimum (throw an AC transfer switch in and you have a manual or automatic UPS system too). Using 120 VAC gets rid of a lot of ground loop issues in a 12 VDC system and with RF current floating around because most AC power systems have ~1,800 VAC of AC Input isolation.

-Bill
  • Vic
    Options

Bill's Buck/Boost Converter is generally a good idea. Some of the older designs were just HORRIBLE NOISE Generators. Believe that some have come a long way, and believe that ARRL Labs may have tested the Noise generated by some. And it may be possible to switch it in-line only for transmit, and completely OFF for Receive.

But, often using direct 12 V from FLA batteries can have a number of unintended consequences -- cold batts, EQing, etc.

Believe that IMD specs for Amps operated from 12 V batts are often poor, if for no other reasons than the voltage sag of the battery, and that very high currents dictated by 12 V power cause fairly large voltage drops around the Finals and any Combiners, and so fourth.
    FWIW. GL 73, Vic
  • KE5YD
    Options

Thanks to ALL who have commented to this point! It has been very informative and I appreciate the concerns some of you have brought out. I'm presently weighing "the options" and trying to decide IF and what I want to purchase. I'm sure there will be Future post. TNX!
    R. A.
  • niel
    Options

ra,
    you just threw a monkey wrench into the works when mentioning a 500w amp. this is a far cry from the 500wh you mentioned in the beginning and would require a much larger system both for pvs and batteries. kiss just went right out the window with an amp. input power on that amp is probably over 900w and add to that the input power of 250w for the transceiver and you can see this is no longer small potatoes. do this for 25 minutes and you are near your 500wh leaving nothing for the rest of the day. of course a simple battery would bottom out on its voltage in no time flat so it wouldn't be feasible with the amp without a large upgrade to the battery department which also leads to an upgrade in the pv charging department.

you can do the math yourself and realize how quickly one would need a larger setup to handle a bit more power on a qso and for how long one talks at that power level over the course of the day. i do not run an amp and would not consider it for my setup as it is just too much to handle. i used to have a saying on qrz and i don't know if it's still there or not as i haven't checked on it in some time, but it went something like this, "to those who aren't happy hearing me without (sorry as i added out) a big signal will have to be happy hearing me 10db down." point is they are hearing me.
  • KE5YD
    Options

Hello again Niel
    Thanks for prompting me to take a 2nd look at my measured data. After much examination and calculations; I have come up with a higher useage/needs number than I originally gave. The NEW number is 615 wh/day. You are correct about the Amp drawing 900-1000 watts; but the Time of useage and duty cycle play Big roles. We normally operate for 2hrs, there are a min. of 4 ops, half the time is "dead air", and the duty cycle of a SSB signal is typically 25-50% . But.....I know from experience that operating this Amp and a 100w transceiver in a vehicle with standard battery, without the motor charging the battery, that after 30 min. [20 min. transmit time] the vehicle would not start. I power this Amp at my base with a 12v auto battery and charge it with a Diehard 10A charger left-on to Float at 13.5v. I use the Kill-o-watt meter on the charger and meter/measure the useage while operating and after. From initial Float reading to Float again reading. Gathering data has been challenging!

I would like to address the issue of "running the amp". I ENJOY rag-chew operation on 160 meters and have done so daily for 30 yrs. The band is not crowded probably due to being more challenging in many ways. Not everyone has room for the larger antennas required there; but one of the worst problems is NOISE. ALL types.....atmospheric and man-made [especially power lines]. It is not uncommon on 160 meters to have an S9 noise level. I know you might say..."well why do you operate there when there are other bands without those problems?" Well, those bands have their problems too, although they may be different. "Different strokes for different folks" as they say! And, more often than not, one has to do what one is able.....often times on 160, the large antennas are reduced in size [loaded] affecting their efficiency, and the noise is high, making [what would be a decent signal on the upper bands] unreadable. Therefore, I Run an Amp there.
  • niel
    Options

i wouldn't dream of arguing against using the amp, but you must be aware it will have a huge impact on your operating needs. you could get a system going, but be prepared to be able to expand it and soon after realizing the need for it as you don't want to abuse the batteries in the meantime.

i am also aware of the need for the room down there for the antennas. i did something long ago that allowed me to operate 2 bands, 80/160mtrs respectively with a relay that kicked a respective base loading coil on each leg (huge coil i might add) in and out of a 130ft dipole. i found i did not need the relay and used a tuner to it with the huge coil on 80mtrs with a 10db jump on all rx signals. the coil had 1/8in copper tubing and had 2 layers. i forgot how many windings i put into each layer or the diameter, but i'd say at least a dozen to 20 turns on each layer semi closely wound and maybe the outer layer about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. don't quote me exactly on all of this as i did that about 25yrs ago.

now even if your operations were calculated perfect for your system that in time battery capacity and pv capacity may decline some and add to it any changes in weather or upping of operations and you can find yourself with a very insufficient system so i'd advise tagging a bit more to both the pvs and batteries in the area of at least 20-25% more over what you figure you may need. even if it works out to more than adequate for now you may find in a few years it has changed for the worse and if over designed it may fall into place so to speak.

again, if you find that it turns out to be inadequate then add to it or subtract from your operations to fit it.
  • KE5YD
    Options

My "Aim" is still not clear?

Or maybe it's just "Brain Fog"? Any way, I'm still having problems deciding What will work and What to purchase. For the amount of Watt-hrs I

need, a lot of people [most] recommend going with PWM over MPPT. But, I'm in a Hot area and after looking at the Morningstar string calculator,

and my potential voltage losses; [for a 12v system] ; I have serious doubts about the PWM being able to equalize in the Summer. Then there's the

business about difference in cost. I was initially thinking of a pair of Kyo 140s [in series] with the Morningstar 15a MPPT; but It will limit at 15a/

200w and the W-hrs produced might be marginal? The battery bank would be a pair of GC-2s; at least initially. After revising my Needs, I'm

shooting for 615w-hrs/day PLUS a little. So I started looking BIGGER! With budget in mind, I'm now looking at a pair of Kyo 215s [or slightly

larger] with a Morningstar 45 MPPT. I initially favored the 12v panels, but Bang-for-the-Buck put me on the GT panels. While looking at the Kyo

215s and 45a mppt, I've discovered that some say [our Host, the Morningstar manual, and NEC] that only 2 215s can be used; but

Morningstar's string calculator says one can use 3 ?? I guess it's a NEC thing! I'm inclined to believe that 3 would work just fine?

I'm Ready to "Fire" on this thing. Is the former too small? or the latter over-kill? Is there better Bang-for-the-Buck?

R. A.
  • niel
    Options

well i think you can do better right now with the pvs as our host naws has some 240w trinas on sale for $.99/w. each pv will be cheaper than the ones you were considering and you'd have 25 extra watts for each pv over the kyocera pvs. the trina and the kyocera pvs you were considering are gt style pvs (60 cells) and are the better bargains for pvs, but you must use an mppt controller with them. i think you'd be better off with the mppt anyway. (yea i'm biased) with 480w in pv at 12v this is 480w/12v=40a roughly so you could be near the max of the 45a cc. btw the meter for the morningstar is $90 extra putting this over $500. for about the same $500 you can get a 60a cc, the outback fm60 with meter built in or opt for the higher current classic lite. (96a, but lacks full panel metering) with either of these you can have room to expand a bit if needed.

it's hard to say if you won't want to expand on your system (i think you will as most of us found that to generally be so), but i say go with either of the ccs i mentioned with the 2 trina pvs to start. you can price these out from our host, but remember prices do change sometimes and you should keep track of the prices for these items that may interest you.

http://www.solar-electric.com/oupofl60mpso.html
    http://www.solar-electric.com/misoclli.html
    http://www.solar-electric.com/hiposopa.html