Commercial Solar Energy Storage to Overtake Residential and Utility-scale in Next Four Y

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
feature-0-1379666186518.jpg The global solar energy storage market could be turned on its head by 2017, with the commercial sector set to overtake residential and utility-scale to become the largest market segment.

More...

Comments

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Re: Commercial Solar Energy Storage to Overtake Residential and Utility-scale in Next Fo

What is this commercial energy storage of which the article speaks? It talks about commercial energy storage as if the technology to build it is already in place, but it never says what that tech is. Surely it is not talking about lead acid storage for a system the size of the one in the picture at the head of this thread. But what?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Commercial Solar Energy Storage to Overtake Residential and Utility-scale in Next Fo

The article sounds rather confused. It seems to have PV and storage together as though one automatically equates to the other, which is not the case. I suspect they mean PV installations and the word "storage" has no place in the discussion.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    The article sounds rather confused. It seems to have PV and storage together as though one automatically equates to the other, which is not the case. I suspect they mean PV installations and the word "storage" has no place in the discussion.
    Well, it certainly confused me. It says, " '...facing rising energy prices and the growing need for backup power supplies, commercial enterprises are turning to PV storage solutions that work in concert with their solar power systems. This will allow commercial to surge past residential and utility to become the largest market for PV storage in just four years.' ” That statement certainly seems to distinguish storage from PV, but the residential storage market is tiny compared to residential solar, and the utility storage market is practically nonexistent. The term "PV storage" is mysterious to me; energy storage is not really related to PV at all.

If what you surmised from the article is accurate, then either the article's author grossly misquoted her source or her source was equally in the dark. So to speak. :D
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Totally agree with you. It is confusing and my take on it may be completely wrong as well. If it is about storage it would have been a good idea to provide some details as to what that storage comprises.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree with you. It is confusing and my take on it may be completely wrong as well. If it is about storage it would have been a good idea to provide some details as to what that storage comprises.
    100%.
    They should be talking about distributed generation, not storage. Although it might eventually require POCO to provide storage.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.