DLS-15 or DLS-30 charger for industrial/hobby setup

Options
wolamin
wolamin Registered Users Posts: 4
I am seeking advice on whether to go with a DLS-15 or DLS-30 charger for my single Costco 115AH 12V deep cycle battery. I know that the conventional wisdom is to go with the 15A for safety so as not to boil the electrolyte too much, wasting power and battery life. This is for a non-solar system that will be charged mostly off 120V grid power, but occasionally off gas generators. I use the battery on a sporadic basis for hobby purposes like powering lighting equipment or sound equipment for videography, inflating my aerobed when camping, recharging camera batteries while camping, or powering an overnight LED sign while camping.

But I'm considering the 30A for several reasons:

1. I just like being able to charge quickly. The Minn-Kota 10 Amp (model 105P) charger that I currently have takes approximately 13 hours to fully charge the battery, which can be a problem if I'm trying to recharge for a video shoot early the next day.

2. I sometimes charge off generators that are only on for a few hours a days.

3. I understand that the so-called equalization charge on the Iota chargers isn't actually a true equalization charge (timed, 15-16V) but rather just a new bulk then absorption cycle that gets run every 7 days. A more powerful charger would probably get a bit more bubbling going like a true equalization cycle. I would likely go approximately 2 months between uses of this battery, sometimes perhaps much longer, so good equalization is important to me. I want a charger that could just be left on the battery all the time to maintain it.

The two reasons I'm looking at buying an Iota charger with IQ4 module are to get more than 10 amps, and to get equalization for long term storage. It seems like buying a 15A Iota doesn't give me as much of those benefits compared to my existing 10A 3-stage charger.

Am I crazy to go for the DLS-30 over the DLS-15? Is there a better charger for my needs?

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: DLS-15 or DLS-30 charger for industrial/hobby setup

I'd go with the DLS-30 with a separate plug in Module ( not built in ), it gives you a lot more options. You actually can open the charger and change the output with the 10 turn pot inside and get 15.5 V output to equalize with the plug in the jack, after your finished set the voltage output back. You won't boil a battery battery " dry " with a 3 stage charger. The cycle will run every 7 days, but it runs for 7 hours and thats a little long.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

The 15 amp model will run on a Honda eu1000i (900 watt) genset. The 30 amp will probably require ~1.5+ kW generator--That is really the only "issue" there.

Assuming the generators you would plug into will support 7+ amps--Then the 30 amp charger will not be a problem.

Regarding "storing" your battery bank... I had problems with even "trickle chargers" designed for battery storage boiling a battery bank away (too much water usage). My trick was to use a lamp timer set for ~1-2 hours per day "on time" plugged into a standard battery charger.

Keeps the battery charged and reduces water usage a lot. Adjust the "on time" to your charger+battery bank needs.

For floating the battery bank, you can always get a second charge controller. I use this Battery Minder on my In-Laws' car that is rarely driven and it has worked great. Not cheap, but I used to replace the battery every year or two on their car because the other charger will boil them dry, or they would leave a trunk light on and my "timer" method could not keep up with the unexpected load. The 8 amp Battery Minder can also keep up with smaller loads just fine.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I use a NOCO G3500 on my truck that gets driven maybe once a month.
    http://www.geniuschargers.com/G3500
    http://www.geniuschargers.com/G3500/specs

Priced reasonably on eBay for about $60 delivered.

I like them because they have all the nice multi-stage charging steps plus will do a maintenance/float cycle as needed.
  • wolamin
    wolamin Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options

Good advice. Blackcherry I didn't think the 7 day cycle would run for 7 hours; so long as the voltage was decently high I thought the bulk phase would be over very quickly like minutes.

I like the timer method, but frankly that just seems like too much effort to get the timer interval correct through trial and error, and adjust as the battery ages. I'm lazy and want something that I can plug in and forget.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    wolamin wrote: »
    Good advice. Blackcherry I didn't think the 7 day cycle would run for 7 hours; so long as the voltage was decently high I thought the bulk phase would be over very quickly like minutes.

I like the timer method, but frankly that just seems like too much effort to get the timer interval correct through trial and error, and adjust as the battery ages. I'm lazy and want something that I can plug in and forget.
    Let me be clear about that, it's every 7 days and for 7 hrs. It is in the absorption range, not bulk. It holds the charger at 14.2 volts for the 7 hrs. I did tell you how too adjust the voltage, you can cut that down some, I lower all mine .3 -.4 volts lower. It's one adjustment and it lowers all 3.

Bulk Phase
    (2.466V per cell)...14.8V

Absorption Phase
    (2.366V per cell)...14.2V

Float Phase
    (2.266V per cell)...13.6V
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Options
    wolamin wrote: »
    1. I just like being able to charge quickly.

Although your needs seem to be addressed already, if you want SUPER quick charging, take a look at pure-lead agm's, like those from Enersys (Odyssey, Genesis, Hawker and so forth). Even an Optima Yellow Top can gobble down current and be recharged from 80% DOD up to about 95% in less than two hours or so as long as you have a Constant-Voltage charger that does not exceed 15v, most shoot for 14.7v max. It is best as usual to be temperature compensated.

Note that Sears Diehard Platinum agm's are Enersys Odyssey's in disguise. Odyssey's desire for fast charging is indicated by the need for a 0.4C *minimum* charge current when charged from <50% DOD.

If you need quick, then *pure-lead* agm's will satisfy that craving. Just something for the back burner...
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Options

I put a DLS-55 in my 25' travel trailer. Replaced a dead WFCO 55A charger. I keep the camper plugged in since it's parked next to the house. Never overcharges the single onboard battery.

My battery bank is maintained with a DLS-75. I moved into the present house over a year ago, and will hopefully get the solar panels on the roof very soon. In the meantime, the battery bank is only being charged/equalized via the Iota.

I added the IQ4 module to both chargers. Both were purchased from eBay. The DLS-75 was bought used years ago for $100. The DLS-55 was bought new.

These chargers can also be used as stand-alone power supplies. They will supply the fully rated current, without a battery.

I'd recommend going for the 30A model, with the IQ4 module ($25, simple plug in). It won't boil your batteries, but will gently bubble them to stir the solution. Prevents stratification of the solution.