Problem swapping controllers

Options
Freewilley
Freewilley Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭
So I finally decided to put that new FM 60 in, but it is not powering up....I think I know why....please help

The mx 60 was connected at the PV-, BAT-, and Bat + lugs.
The FM 60 is connected the same way, no power. The Manual shows a PV + wire connected....so was the MX bonded and the FM not? Are those little cardboard tabs to be removed to make a bond?

If I have to connect a pv+ wire, I will need some coaching...
Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
12 volt Flojet water pump
off grid summer home in northern Ontario

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Problem swapping controllers

Part of the answer, you do have to connect the battery negative to the controller's negative battery post. It gets its operational power from the battery bank. Most controllers will stay blank/off if not connected to the battery bank (usually, the battery connection is made first, so the controller can auto select 12/24/48 volt battery bank defaults).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think it a good idea to remove the cardboard tabs, they are there to prevent accidental shorts.

Yes, the PV+ needs to be connected. There should be at least 4 wires connected, the three you have plus the PV+. There are 4 places to connect wires, all marked.

Phil
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Freewilley wrote: »
    So I finally decided to put that new FM 60 in, but it is not powering up....I think I know why....please help

The mx 60 was connected at the PV-, BAT-, and Bat + lugs.
    The FM 60 is connected the same way, no power. The Manual shows a PV + wire connected....so was the MX bonded and the FM not? Are those little cardboard tabs to be removed to make a bond?

If I have to connect a pv+ wire, I will need some coaching...

On the negative side the PV and BAT connections are "pass through" (i.e. common connection). Not on the positive side. If you connect the PV+ to the BAT+ you have bypassed the controller.

Always connect the battery side first and power up the controller. Then program it. Connect the PV side last to activate charging.
  • Freewilley
    Options

Sorry, I am unsure...need more help with the wiring...
    I do not have a pv+ wire to connect right now, because there was no such wire for the MX. If I need to connect one I will need help to figure out where to take that from...

So my hunch that I could take out the little cardboard tab between the PV- and + terminals does not float???

One more silly question...while the CC is down, there is no problem with me charging off the genny is there?
    Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Sorry, I am unsure...need more help with the wiring...
    I do not have a pv+ wire to connect right now, because there was no such wire for the MX. If I need to connect one I will need help to figure out where to take that from...

Okay, that is impossible. PV = photovoltaic = solar panel array. It will have a (-) and a (+) lead. There is no way it can work without both.
    So my hunch that I could take out the little cardboard tab between the PV- and + terminals does not float???

Those pieces of cardboard are isolators. Do not remove them. They have nothing to do with the correct wiring; they are there to prevent accident shorts between terminals by stray wire strands.
    One more silly question...while the CC is down, there is no problem with me charging off the genny is there?

Whether the charge controller is hooked up or not, charging from the gen will have no effect on it.
  • Freewilley
    Options

All is good now....can we delete this thread so nobody ever asks me what dumb, dumb, dumb mistake I made.

thanks for your help Cariboocoot
  • Freewilley
    Options
    Okay, that is impossible. PV = photovoltaic = solar panel array. It will have a (-) and a (+) lead. There is no way it can work without both.

Yeah, but you only have to connect the PV+ lead to the CC....I had it on the wrong side....
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Yeah, but you only have to connect the PV+ lead to the CC....I had it on the wrong side....

No, the PV- has to be connected to the system somewhere. Usually this is done at the charge controller as both leads from the array will be the same length and terminate nicely there.

Common practice is to then pick up the BAT+ and BAT- there and go to the battery. This helps keep things organized, and often the wires in and out of the charge controller will be two different sizes.