Disconnects

2»

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Disconnects
    niel wrote: »
    odd i never noticed the lower voltage rating on it, but the straight on/off switch is rated for 48v. you would just need 2 of them to make it work.

Its common to see 60 or more volts on a 48 volt system. I don't think those switches are rated for a 48 volt nominal system. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Also note that some battery switches are not designed or intended to switch under load. I assume the Blue Sea is designed to switch under load, but it's never good to assume.
  • Wis03Blade
    Wis03Blade Registered Users Posts: 20

It is a full load switch . I did plan on putting a switch at each end , one on the (-) and one on the (+) . I'm trying to isolate each bank because the Xantrex Inverter (XW6048 120/240 60) and wiring distribution box (Pt#865-1015)does not have a way to feed two separate strings ( they are in series then paralleled together before hitting inverter) , there is two lugs on the buss bar but both feed off the same breaker. My battery guy said I need to Equalize each string separately to prolong life and guarantee proper equalization. So the battery switch seamed like a easier idea than what I did this last time. Turn the system to Generator, turn the breaker to and from batteries off, disconnect one string, equalize that string, next day do other string. Switch would be much faster and would not require quarterly battery wire removal. Ideas?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Its common to see 60 or more volts on a 48 volt system. I don't think those switches are rated for a 48 volt nominal system. --vtMaps

we don't know that, but i will say it would be wrong to assume it can take it. maybe wis03blade can make an inquiry to blue seas on the matter for clarification?
  • Wis03Blade

Just got off the phone with Tech Support at Blue Sea. even though the switch has the 48V marking on it,( both the 9001E, and 9002E) they say its rated at 32, He said that a lot of people are using it with 48V systems and would not disagree that it was over engineered to withstand more than 48V, his main concern was if it was mounted on conductive material that a jump may occur. And that 48Volts most likely would be more than the 350 continuous Amps. He did say it is a constant 350amp switch going from 1-1+2-2 switching with no loss. His final word was that it has been used for, and probably will work , but had to stick to the official statement 32Volt with occasional 48V capacity
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

In general, these "rotating" type switches should not be used to switch under loads... Even at 350 amps (rated load) and switching to off--I would bet the switch blades will not last very long (arcing).

As long as you are switching between 1/2/1+2, you probably will not have any arcing, even under load. You will only get a couple of volts, worst case, across the contacts.

Going to OFF under load--Will be exciting.

I assume that these switches really do not have any "snap" action to them.

When Schneider redesigned the Xantrex AC/Disconnect, it was a huge change. From a small rotary disk switch (which did fail in the field) to HUGE snap action knife switches.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Wis03Blade

Did some additional research. the 9003e,9004e single battery (on-off) switches are labeled , and advertised 48v. The 9001e,9002e ( dual battery) advertised as 32v, but the actual switch marking on the 9001e that I have has 48v on it, identical to the single battery switch 9003e,9004e Attachment not found. even the Tech guy at Blue Sea had no explanation for this.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    I assume that these switches really do not have any "snap" action to them.
    Maybe not, in the sense that the contacts are free to move further apart even if you hold the knob or toggle in an intermediate position, but the strong mechanical detent encourages you to complete the rotary motion once you go over the top of the detent. And the contacts will not break (separate) before that happens.

I have seen rotary switches with snap action because the rotary contact set is coupled to the rotation of the knob through an overcenter spring. I just do not know if the Blue Sea switches fall into that category.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Wis03Blade

It must have some sort of eccentric, because it does have a positive position location with a bit of tension wile turning, until it sets into the next position. BEP Does make a true rated 48V multi position switch , very similar looking to the Blue Seas. Continuous rating from both to either 1 or 2 battery selection, is 350 Amps with , a intermittent of 500 Amps DC and max cranking of 1500 Amps DC. Link
    www.bepmarine.com/home-mainmenu-mainmenue-8/product-325/721-heavy-duty-selector-switch or http://www.bepmarine.com/home-mainmenu-8/product-325/721-heavy-duty-selector-switch
    Attachment not found.