Pressure Tanks - Flexcon H2 Pro vs. Flojet

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Just had our water cistern put in and need to do the pressure booster system. Are the Flexcon tanks (looking at the 85 gal) really worth the additional money? I can get a Flojet tank for the same capacity at about $100 less at home depot. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• AFWnS
    AFWnS Solar Expert Posts: 13
    Re: Pressure Tanks - Flexcon H2 Pro vs. Flojet

What kind of pressure pump are you using., Sorry, can't answer about the Prerssurre tank.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    shallow well pump suggestions?

Haven't decided on the pump yet.  We are thinking about a DC pump as we'll be totally off the grid 4- 6 gpm and under 10 amps operating.  We did change the tank though, it will now be the Well Mate WM series tank that is 87 gallons. Any suggestions?
  • 12vman
    12vman Solar Expert Posts: 25 ✭✭

I use a 12 volt Surflo pump with the pressure switch built in to the unit. For a pressure "Tank" I use a section of garden hose between the pump and the hard plumbing. It doesn't store water but will allow pressure to build to operate the switch..

I use 6' of the reinforced garden hose. (The stuff with the nylon strings molded into it) I've been using this idea now for several years with no problems. A couple of adaptors and some hose clamps and VALA!

This style of pump is considered a "Demand" pump. Trying to fill a large pressure tank with one will surely burn it up. Towards the end of the cycle the pump would be working hard to build the pressure high enough to shut it down. Demand pumps are for short cycles and don't need much of a tank. They can run free flow for hours but they labor hard at the end of the presure cycle. As long as you are only using one spigot at a time, they have plenty of flow. They work well with the low flow shower heads. (2.5 gal/min.)

I pump my water directly from a storage tank throughout my house. I  have no need for a pressure storage tank.
  • System2

Is that shurflo pump quiet enough for use in the house? Remember the model number. I like the idea of doing without the tank. One less thing to leak or rust out.

tom l
  • 12vman

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/shurflo-pumps.htm

This is the model I use. I've been using this style for over 10 years without any issues. I've never rebuilt either of the two since I've owned them. I use one to supply my home and the other I use to transfer from my cistern to the inside storage tank..

They are pretty quiet. If you build a padded box to cover one with, you won't have any noise problem. Mine aren't covered. I want to hear it so I know everything is working OK. The only time it runs is when you are using a spigot or taking a shower. Use flexible piping (hose) on the intake also so the noise doesn't transfer through the hard lines and makes things much easier if the need comes to remove the pump. Also, on the intake side, If you are lifting water for any reason, use a type of flexible hose that won't collapse..

• System2

12vman, thanks for the details. Those 2088 Shurflo pumps seem to come often in pump discussions. I see they are available in 24v also.

I was originally thinking of a pressure tank also but saw some of your posts on another forum and they got me thinking. I like the inside tank idea as the place we will be building at Northern Arkansas can get quite cold at times but usually for only a few days at a time.

We will be using spring water if it tests good and water catchment off the roof. I remember growing up on a farm in S. Missouri and we were always concerned about the pressure tank in the well house freezing up. Not having a pressure tank or well house and a 3-4 day supply of water in an indoor tank would handle the problem nicely in my opinion.

Tom L.
  • 12vman

I gotta worry about weeks here..LOL  I store about 400 gal. inside. That will get me by for around a month and a half if I conserve. I don't drink the water I store. I just use it for general cleaning and whatever. I carry all of my drinking/cooking water from another source..

Good luck in your venture. Glad to help..
    Don
  • System2
    Trying to fill a large pressure tank with one will surely burn it up.

12vman,

I'm glad I saw this comment as this was exactly what I was going to attempt. Given that I have excess solar panel capacity during the day, I was hoping to minimize needing to run my generator to power my jet pump to fill the pressure tank by having it "top off" from a small 12v pump. However, if I'm going to burn up a pump regularly, this isn't a good idea.

Is there some kind of pump that would work for this? I don't need a high flow rate to do this.