Solar Panels

I am new to the forum and very enthusiastic about PV. So a simple question to start: I have a 80 watt panel and want to add more (same voltage). Connect them in parallel?

I have a Kyocera 80 watt panel and am going to add a second........

Jeff

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Solar Panels

yes, add it in parallel. make sure your wires and controller can handle the expansion.
    niel
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Solar Panels

Another question:

If I want to go to a higher voltage, do the solar panels work OK put in parallel to raise the voltage? I realize the other gear must be different, but I am thinking as i acquire panels (I bought two Kyocera KC-80 so far, I may want to do a grid tie requiring higher voltage equipment).
  • rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Solar Panels

If I unerstand your question, then no the panels do not work OK in paralell to raise voltage. To raise voltage you must connect the panels in series. This is a good idea if you do not want to increase wire size from panels to controler.
    Larry
  • System2
    Solar Panels

Oops. I meant to connect them in series to raise the voltage (as opposed to have higher voltage panels).

I just want to be sure that the panels I am purchasing now for my "demostration" system can be used later in a higher voltage grid tie or whatever system if I want to go whole hog.
  • niel
    Solar Panels

yes it will work in series to raise the voltage. series operations do require the pvs to be the same or losses can occur. you have no problem here being both are identical. do remember that in series only the voltage doubles as the current will stay the same. to double the current would mean paralleling 2 series strings.
    niel
  • System2
    Re: Solar Panels

Dear sir,

We have 20kva 1phase UPS (online )witch has  32 Batteries of 42 AH and the load on ups is 60 amp.

we want to run this ups with help of solar panel during day time (5 Hours/day).so is it possible?How can i calculate for solar panels? How many PV panel do we required for the same ? what is cost for that with installation.how much area required for the panels?

thanks,
    Anil
    Kashyapanil@excite.com

8-)
  • niel
    Re: Solar Panels

this depends on if you can just supplement with solar with the grid providing the main recharge for the batteries or it is to be independant as in off-grid. supplementally it could be anything you'd wish to buy, but gridless is more unforgiving for it will give only what it can get.
    i will only rough this for you for the gridless arrangement. you know your draw is 60amps for 5hrs. if you average 5 full sun hrs per day this is 60amps to be provided by the pvs. you will have losses in the wires and charging so add another 20% to this for 72amps. now stc(normal ratings you see sold by) is a bit overrated for the usa so ptc ratings are better and that's about 90% of the stc so we'll add another 10% to it for that for a total of 79.2amps in pvs stc rated. (i'm assuming 12v here)
    the costs on providing 80amps of pvs depends on you for there are a variety of pvs and methods on mounting with various controllers available in addition to who installs it all. i would suggest you look in the store from our forum sponsor northern arizona wind & sun and look things over. you will see that the costs in pvs alone will be high, but if you have anymore questions after all of this then please ask.