Battery Bank cabling

Options
Mike at Energy Commission
Mike at Energy Commission Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭
I have searched to find, how to size the cables for a battery bank, (fusing and interconnecting batteries)? I find many articles and discussions about sizing the array wiring. I have 4- 6v golf cart batteries I want to combine into one 12v bank I have the massive 0/2 cables in series to create 2- 12v batteries, what size cable and fuse for the parallel connection? Thank you very much.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Battery Bank cabling

My personal suggestion.

For one string or two parallel strings, size the battery cables (and fuses) to the maximum sustained load (charging and discharging)...

If you have a 2,000 watt 12 volt AC inverter, and want to run near 2,000 watts max continuous through it, that would be:
    • 2,000 watts * 1/0.85 inverter 1/10.5 volts inverter cutoff * 1.25 NEC derating = 280 Amp minimum fuse/branch circuit

If you have three or more parallel strings, I would humbly suggest that you would rate, at a minimum, the bank wiring for 50% of maximum rated load (or charging) current per string.

From the battery side--The most current you can pull from a flooded cell deep cycle battery "reliably" over all charge, age, and temperature conditions would be ~C/2.5 (recommended design limit for a reliable off grid system).

A golf cart battery is rated at ~225 Amp*Hours, so:
    • 225 AH * 2 parallel strings * 1/2.5 maximum short term surge = 180 Amps
    • 180 amps * 1.25 NEC derating = 225 Amps "practical" current limit from suggested bank

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want to combine into one 12v bank I have the massive 0/2 cables in series to create 2- 12v batteries, what size cable and fuse for the parallel connection?

When you say you want to make the parallel connection, are you referring to "A" or "C" on the diagram? If you are referring to "A", I don't see why it needs to be any different than "B". If you are referring to "C", then Bill's (BB.) analysis is quite correct.
    Attachment not found.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

vtMaps is correct,

I got a little confused between designing for the Inverter side and the battery side--problem with "generic answers"...

My recommended "practical" maximum current from a single battery would be:

• 225 AH * 1/2.5 maximum short term surge = 90 Amps
    • 90 amps * 1.25 NEC derating = 112.5 Amps "practical" current limit from suggested bank

So, from this bank, should you expect 90 Amps maximum surge/short term current or can you use 180 amps.

If the batteries share 50% each--then 180 Amps... In practice, batteries and their wiring don't always share at 100%... And worst case would be 100% from the one "good string"...

So, back to that is the maximum AC or DC load (or charging current) that is expected?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Mike at Energy Commission
    Mike at Energy Commission Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

thanks, it would be connection A, so now to find tables with those ranges of amps and distances in the 16" range! makes sense about the C/2.5 being the limit for a reliable load. This explains why the wash machine stops a few minutes after starting- I think. This is just one of the reasons I want to bump up to 450 amp hr bank, now to size the cable for A connection.