Changfa S195 Generator Fuel Efficiency

Options
keyturbocars
keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭
I've read that the Changfa S195 powered generators are supposed to be very fuel efficient; however, I wonder if some of the claims are realistic. For example, the site lists a S195 powered ST 7.5kW generator as 4 hours per gallon at full load.

http://pcsurf.com/generator/generator-set.htm#DPE-7.5-BS

I can believe 0.25 gallons per hour at light loads, but at "full load" sounds way too optimistic to me.

Anyone know what the real fuel efficiency on these type of generators is?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Changfa S195 Generator Fuel Efficiency

Does anyone know if "Changfa" translates to "Spare me"? :p

Honestly, this is just what I was talking about in at least one other thread regarding buying good quality equipment.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

That would be around 30 kWH per gallon of fuel... I would have planned on ~7 kWH per gallon of diesel as a starting point for a smaller genset.

This site:

http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.com/Diesel_Fuel_Consumption.aspx

A diesel genset would burn at full power:

20 kW / 1.6 gph = 12.5 kWH per gallon
    7.5 KW / 0.61 gph = 12.3 kWH per gallon
    2,225 kWH / 159.6 gph = 13.9 kWH per gallon

As you go smaller, the thermal efficiency falls.

I would guess that there is a translation problem... Maybe it was 1 liter of fuel per hour--That would be reasonable.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭
    Options
    Does anyone know if "Changfa" translates to "Spare me"? :p

Honestly, this is just what I was talking about in at least one other thread regarding buying good quality equipment.

Haha... yes, whenever something is made in China, I have some serious reservations about it unless it has a proven track record. That's why I chose my Onan DJE generator, because it had a track record of being one of the best small generators ever made (in terms of longevity and ruggedness). I'm not saying I think it's the best all around generator, but it was the best choice for me considering cost and the fact that the old Onan diesel generators have a long track record of good service.

BB, it must be some sort of translation error or intentional error to sell more generators. Or maybe it really does only use 1 gallon of fuel every 4 hours. It runs for 1 hour and then is broken down the other 3 hours. ;)