LED vs flouresent

Options
Shadowcatcher
Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
There is a discussion going on on iRV2 concerning the replacement of fluorescent with LED/SMD arrays. My question is yes there is a current savings but published figures for the most part involve the use of CFL's which work from 120V AC or tube fixtures using a ballast. Finding 12 V LED vs Fluro.
Our teardrop has all LED marine fixtures but this sounded like an interesting exercise :)

Comments

• RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: LED vs flouresent

I originally started out in solar power with a 12V battery bank since I'm a ham radio operator and wanted to power the radios straight off the big bank. Since I was doing that, I also went with 12V lighting for emergency lighting and looked at a lot of options at the time.

I found that yes, LED lights would reduce power consumption, but it was a real problem finding a color temperature I was happy with. Most 12V LED lights were very harsh and monochromatic. That might be okay for a work light or very short-term emergency light but absolutely was not what I wanted for an extended time. At the time it was a lot simpler just to get a 12V RV fluorescent light which put out MUCH better light, albeit at more wattage.

That was about 4 years ago. Now there is a lot better selection of LEDs available. I've even found some LED "accent strips" at Autozone that are warm white (my preferred color temp). Websites like superbrightleds.com sell a variety of color temps (or even colors) in a variety of base styles to fit various fixtures. However it's a moot point for me, as I've since switched to 48V bank and use 120V fixtures for everything. 120V bulbs of any sort are significantly cheaper than the 12V equivalent! They are also - in my very limited experience - more reliable. Some of the 12V lighting I bought died fairly quickly, which was disappointing considering the cost.

I think if I was setting up an RV and wanted to be able to run off-grid for extended periods I'd go with LED to maximize battery runtime. On the other hand, the power difference between CFL and LED isn't *that* large, so I'm not likely to retrofit fixtures in an existing RV due to the cost of LEDs. (Unless the RV has a dozen or more lights on all the time, that might add up - but I'd be likelier to change the layout of lights so I don't need so many.) I would *definitely* replace incandescent bulbs with LED in an older RV.
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: LED vs flouresent

I use mostly florescent because of cost, but I have a couple of LED corn light bulbs - bulbs that have multiple strips of 5050 SMDs in a traditional E26/E27 socket. You can't get them in an American store, but you can get them from Hong Kong through eBay. They are about half the cost of LED bulbs sold in American stores, but still noticeably more expensive than utility-subsidized compact florescent (less than $1 each for 60-watt equiv; $2 each for 100-wat equiv).