Different types of solar air conditioner

quique
quique Solar Expert Posts: 259 ✭✭
1. Photovoltaic unit that uses panels to generate electricity stored in batteries and used through an inverter. Can operate 100% electric or as hybrid feed in into a special compressor.

2. Thermosiphon vacuum tubes unit that uses suns heat to heat up water used to heat the refrigerant gas.

3. Thermosiphon flat glass collector that operates the same as above.

4. Thermal unit that simply uses a black glass box WITHOUT. Water to hear refrigerant gas.

Can y'all share your experiences with these different types?

Comments

• H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Re: Different types of solar air conditioner

I use basically # 1 with a Mitsubishi Mini Split heat pump with a SEER of 26. It is 9000 BTU and can cool my 175 sq ft LQ (Living Quarters) down to 62 degrees even when it is over 90 degrees outside. I have not tried it to heat yet, but do intend to once the weather cools off. I can run this off a standard Exeltech XP-1100 inverter in either 12 or 48 volts that feeds a 240 volt transformer (Outback PSX-240) and it works great. No special anything, just off-the-shelf parts which makes it easier to deal with.
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

Are you looking for Air Conditioning? Or just heating water and space heating?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

I also do #1 - very basic 9000 BTU mini-split cooling-only unit. In full sun once my system hits absorb I can run it straight off the panels. (2kw in panels, unit varies 1200W-1400W + 400-500W other household loads.)

My primary use for it is in summertime I switch to TOU billing - really cheap off-peak power, and I completely go off-grid on-peak. Can't run the whole-house system of course, so this keeps my office (back bedroom) nice and frosty, helps keep the rest of the house a bit cooler too.

I'd like to get a heat pump model to utilize the system in winter, would *really* like to go inverter-driven. Can't justify the cost to myself yet! Maybe some day, but for now I have too many other toys to buy...

Edit to add: I didn't buy the mini-split for this purpose. It was already there from when I had a number of computers running in my "server closet".