Considering 'mini' battery bank for fleshing out system. Opinions?

bmet
bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
A local battery shop has some 12V, 40Ah AGMs which have been sitting for a while. They offered them to me for $1/Ah. They are from the same batch, and all holding the same voltage (within .1 V of each other). The thought occured to me, that maybe I could use them as placeholders while doing the technical layout, voltage measurements, and learning the charge contoller. I don't plan on loading them down, just getting the detail work done. As expensive as batteries are, this would allow me to move forward with equipment I presently own while budgeting for the bigger bank later. I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on this idea. Thank you.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Considering 'mini' battery bank for fleshing out system. Opinions?

Check the recharging rate... If C/20 (5%), then they will not be great for any sort of deeper cycling (not enough sun hours per day to recharge much more than a 25% discharge in one day (20 hours to recharge from "dead", 5 hours of effective solar--average--per day, 4 days to fully recharge).

If 25% per day cycling, or you have several days to recharge after deeper cycling and/or the battery takes more than 5% rate of charge--Why not. They certainly will support a large AC inverter+surge current to get the wiring/programming correct.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

bmet, your signature says: three 12VDC ventilation fans (my diversion load).

I don't understand that. Solar panels don't need a diversion load if you are using a charge controller. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    bmet, your signature says: three 12VDC ventilation fans (my diversion load).

I don't understand that. Solar panels don't need a diversion load if you are using a charge controller. --vtMaps

Apologize for the technical faux paux. There's enough leftover power for 3 muffin fans to circulate air in my shop during the warmest part of the day. That's a nice diversion. :D

B.B. Thanks for the reminder on re-charge rate.