Help me build a system for my F250 Super Duty please!

Options
2»

Comments

• OldManOwen
    OldManOwen Solar Expert Posts: 25
    Options
    Re: Help me build a system for my F250 Super Duty please!
    westbranch wrote: »
    Owen, you need to know the voltage that the LVD operates at. A lot of LVD's kick in at 10.? - 11.? volts and that is too low
    If it is below 12.0 volts that is going to kill the battery... (as Ryben wrote)

LVD = Low Voltage Detection built into the Fridge electronics? That might be a good fail safe for some but I would never allow that to happen. The battery state would be monitored daily and I would not allow it to get to that point, that's what the Honda is for. The most I would ever be away from the truck is a few hours, with everything I need to survive in it the last thing I want is for it to "Grow Legs". I could see how if a person forgot to turn off the fridge while connected it could prove somewhat of a "useful" feature kind of like how newer vehicles headlights can turn themselves off if set properly. The way I see it for my use, if I let the battery get to the point where the fridge has to turn itself off then I have failed the system. On a side note that's a beautiful picture westbranch, where is that at if I may ask?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

on pv systems that stands for low voltage disconnect.

as to the lvd voltage itself it depends on the draw upon the batteries as a deep draw will drop the voltage from the batteries lower and it is still good to go, but the lvd could pop it out of the circuit prematurely. on the other hand a very light load for a long time should have a higher lvd setting or risk depleting the battery too far before the lvd disconnects.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Owen, you will find it at Sapeye Lake, BC
    on Google Earth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • OldManOwen
    Options

Hello again!
    My son and I have the Leer camper shell on the truck and the new bedrug is in! The truck is looking great and we have all of our supplies ready to go. I'm ready to purchase my Battery(ies) now but can't seem to find a dealer in Knoxville TN for the Concorde Sun-Extender that I was planning on using. Can anyone help me figure out where I can purchase these locally? I could have them shipped but it seems to be VERY expensive! Should I be looking at another brand like Trojan? I want an AGM type because the battery(ies) will be mounted in the bed of the truck where we will both be sleeping and I don't want any fumes. Any guidance on a particular brand and model number? Does anyone know of another way to search for a local dealer? I have 7 days to get the batteries and appropriate boxes to house them in. Thank you!

PS: this is the charger I plan on using in conjunction with the Honda EU200i until I get the solar panels. http://www.solar-electric.com/ioen12vo15am.html Am I on the right track with this still?

Nathan M Owen
    SSGT USMC RETIRED

Katie Couric, while interviewing a Marine sniper, asked:

"What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"

The Marine shrugged and replied: "Recoil."
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

Check Sams Club, they have some GC-2 Golf Cart AGM batteries that look good for about $159.00. The only issue I had with them is the manufacturing date was over a year. Thats just to long. They also carry a commercial AGM truck battery @ 12 v that has good spec's.
  • OldManOwen
    Options
    Check Sams Club, they have some GC-2 Golf Cart AGM batteries that look good for about $159.00. The only issue I had with them is the manufacturing date was over a year. Thats just to long. They also carry a commercial AGM truck battery @ 12 v that has good spec's.

Thank you Blackcherry04 i'll look into that. I am hoping to get a single battery as opposed to dual 6V Golf Cart batteries because as you can imagine space is very limited. The Concorde AGM PVX-1530T was looking very nice for a single battery for Amp Hours VS cargo space under the camper shell.

Nathan M Owen
    SSGT USMC RETIRED

• OldManOwen
    Options

Hello all,
    My son and I just got back from our trip to Wyoming and we had a BLAST! I was not able to get the batteries or panel in yet, I just ran out of time before we left. I did build a pine "station" where I plan to add the Chrager and Morningstar inverter after I get the panels and Battery installed. I was worried about the battery being able to keep the fridge running but after some real world experience I have absolutely no concerns about 1 battery running it for extended amounts of time. I ran a 12 gauge wire from the trucks built in upffiter switches and after careful monitoring it was able to keep the fridge at 29 degrees with almost no voltage drop for up to 14 hours. The only time I ever ran the Honda eu2000i was to cook with the George Foreman grill. The grill is awesome to cook on and only cost me $18! Let me see if I can figure out how to post a few pictures.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

Nathan M Owen
    SSGT USMC RETIRED

• tons001
    tons001 Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Options

Wow Nathan! You can not beat that view......
  • Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Options
    OldManOwen wrote: »
    Hello all,
    My son and I just got back from our trip to Wyoming and we had a BLAST!

Nice photos Owen,
    Those kind of trips are what good living is all about.
    When you are ready to finalize your solar set up it looks like the camper shell will be easy to wire.
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

well that 29*F is great, most 'normal' fridges are set to maintain 34 F so you might be able to save a few Ah's when you are in a cool mountain climate... ENJOY

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

29F isn't a refrigerator, it's a freezer. :D