Cheapest Panel No Longer Best in Solar Market, SunPower CEO Says

Options
RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
feature-0-1373480812502.jpg Chinese solar manufacturers that are still trying to sell the cheapest panels have failed to adapt to an industry seeking more efficient products, said SunPower Corp. Chief Executive Officer Tom Werner.

More...

Comments

• solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Cheapest Panel No Longer Best in Solar Market, SunPower CEO Says

I still don't see how a panel that is 20% more efficient but costs 30% more is a better deal. Mounting costs don't make that much difference.
    Maybe if you need to squeeze in more power on a limited roof it is justified but SunPower is just talking its book as usual. They are vertically integrated and have a good lease financing system is their competitive advantage.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    solarix wrote: »
    I still don't see how a panel that is 20% more efficient but costs 30% more is a better deal. Mounting costs don't make that much difference.
    Maybe if you need to squeeze in more power on a limited roof it is justified but SunPower is just talking its book as usual. They are vertically integrated and have a good lease financing system is their competitive advantage.
    Module efficiency is the primary concern only if your space is limited, otherwise it's $/Watt as long as the difference in efficiency isn't so great that it greatly increases BOS costs to use the less efficient modules.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

I think Sunpower is suggesting what is better for them, not the buyer. The only reason (I can think of) to be more concerned with efficiency over cost, is some salesperson is hammering that idea, and not to the advantage of their customer. I can see the company memo now.... 'Our customers want more for their money. Let's sell them more efficiency'.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry guys: too often the "news feeds" are in fact disguised advertising. We don't really try to moderate them unless it is a blatant solicitation.