Am I missing something ?

solarfatcat
solarfatcat Registered Users Posts: 12
Hello. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. This is what I have..... I have two mono-crystalline panels, each being 60 watts and 3.5 amps. A 10 amp charge controller. Excide nautilus NG-31 deep cycle battery, and an 800 watt cobra inverter. I also have an inline 10 amp fuse installed between the battery and the inverter ( on the positive wire ). In the past I have run an extension cord from my inverter to inside the house; just to run a few lights. I'd like to install the inverter on my porch. My panels are mounted on a 4x4 approx 4' off the ground. From there 10 awg solar wire will run approx 20' to my battery and charge controller ( battery and controller are in a vented outdoor enclosed plastic container ) then approx 15' more into porch and attached to inverter. My concerns are, I have not added any type of grounding. I'm assuming the inverter offers some sort of protection ? Any advice would be appreciated. Safety is my main concern. I'm new so please keep things "simple". Thanks again.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Am I missing something ?

First of all, what size wiring are you using on that inverter? A 10 Amp fuse is going to pop at around 120 Watts output. Not much good for an 800 Watt inverter, but maybe you're not using it that hard. That Exide battery is how many Amp hours? Around 90?

Inverters on their own do not offer any sort of protection that takes the place of grounding. That said, the type of inverter makes a difference in how grounding is connected. Grounding itself only matters when something goes wrong, which is not a fun time to find out it isn't right.

Does the inverter have an outlet built in? If so, does it say anything about ground fault protection or "GFCI"?
  • solarfatcat
    solarfatcat Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello, the wire I'm using is 10 awg from the panels to the controller and then to the inverter ( also 10 awg ). It has 2 grounded AC outlets. It says pentagon protection, 5 levels of protection against failures: thermal shutdown, reverse polarity protection, over voltage shutdown, low voltage shutdown and low voltage alarm. I don't use them for much other than lights. I've never had a problem with blowing a fuse. Do I have it in the right place ( between the battery and charge controller, on the + wire ? ) Any need to ground my panels or any part of this system ? Thanks
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Hello, the wire I'm using is 10 awg from the panels to the controller and then to the inverter ( also 10 awg ).

Well 10 AWG is good for about 30 Amps, but your 10 Amp fuse is going to pop first at the fairly low Wattage. If you increase the wire size and fuse size you could utilize more of the inverter's capacity.
    It has 2 grounded AC outlets. It says pentagon protection, 5 levels of protection against failures: thermal shutdown, reverse polarity protection, over voltage shutdown, low voltage shutdown and low voltage alarm.

All of that "protection" is for the inverter, not the user/loads. It will shut down if it gets too hot, if you hook the DC wires up backwards, if you try to feed it too much Voltage, if you don't fee it enough Voltage, and it will scream before that last one occurs.

So, no GFCI and no grounding of those AC outlets unless you attach a good Earth ground to the inverter (chances are it has a lug or screw terminal on the case just for that purpose). It would be a good idea to do this.
    I don't use them for much other than lights. I've never had a problem with blowing a fuse. Do I have it in the right place ( between the battery and charge controller, on the + wire ? ) Any need to ground my panels or any part of this system ? Thanks

Your fuse is in the right place. Your just using an 800 Watt inverter to supply <120 Watts of power.

How permanent of an install is this intended to be? If it's going to stay there, consider driving a ground rod near the panels and connect their frames & mounts to it as well as the ground lug of the inverter. Do not tie the battery negative or either AC output to this unless the inverter's manual specifically tells you to: I suspect it is an MSW type and they don't always work well with "full grounding" (i.e. tend to go up in smoke).