Oh oh - Re: Lets kill the guy that asked yet another ground question

Options
Dolly Bee
Dolly Bee Solar Expert Posts: 30
That went back to June 2011 - Please verify for me.

I'm not there yet so I can't measure
- However, I'm certain the PV array will be far enough away that it will need its own grounding rod. OK

Question - Midnight classic, Trimetric & Inverter are inside gooseneck trailer = tires, but parked, the front leg will sit on a couple of 2x8's. The batteries will be in a polyprolene type material trunk sitting on the ground outside the trailer.
(tires - no // front leg - ?? // batteries in plastic/rubber trunk - ??) hmmmm
Oh, just remembered, with the back ramp down (most of the day in good weather), aluminum frame of trailer will be touching ground.

So - I'm thinking I definitely need another ground rod for equipment (Classic & Inverter) in the trailer - YES ??

Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Oh oh - Re: Lets kill the guy that asked yet another ground question

"Gooseneck trailer" - this is a mobile application? No one tries to ground mobile systems.

The array is fixed, and you pull up with the trailer and connect to it? One ground rod should suffice.

Generally you don't have to worry about using two ground rods unless the distance gets to the point where the wiring expense becomes prohibitive. Usually if you can connect the two power lines the ground will be easy. But without those measurements you haven't got no one can say for sure.
  • Dolly Bee
    Dolly Bee Solar Expert Posts: 30
    Options
    Re: Oh oh - Re: Lets kill the guy that asked yet another ground question

Thank you Cariboocoot

Yes, the array will be fixed to the ground and I know I need a ground rod for that.

At the moment, I can only rely on bad memory from September and was not mentally placing array at that time.
    But am guessing array (6 - 240 watt panels) will be between 50 - 100' from trailer.

Yes, will pull work gooseneck trailer up, park it for the summer and connect array to trailer.
    I cannot wire array disconnect now because I don't know the distance. (think slope & trees - array placement gets full sun)

(Separate small motorhome is part solar and generator for MW)

This year - trying to learn, understand, do what I can here, too many projects from here to try to work with connecting MH to gooseneck trailer parked side by each. This year I can see how it goes with the business and see what happens next year. Gotta start somewhere. (Solar for business, solar for MH, solar for water well, sun for hot water, water storage, connecting everything water for outdoor sink, shower, MH, plans for building storage building so some things can stay over the winter.
    At least I have gotten my special picnic table & benches with backs almost all finished - looks great IMHO. :roll:

Thanks