Off-grid lighting

BoFuller
BoFuller Solar Expert Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
I have property that is totally off-grid. I have a 40 foot container with my workbench and tools in it. I would like to find a way to put some LED lights in it and a source to power them. I have a few generators for when I'm running power tools but I'd like some basic lighting inside for working at the bench, cleaning firearms, or whatever. Any ideas? I'm in Northern AZ, 6,000 ft, and I'm here almost every weekend, but occassionally gone or a couple weeks.
12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)

Comments

• BoFuller
    Re: Off-grid lighting

My solar setup at the travel trailer is about 400 feet away from this container.
    12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    BoFuller wrote: »
    I would like to find a way to put some LED lights in it and a source to power them.

If you really only want a few LED lights, how about running 120 volt AC from your trailer to the container? Let's see: if you were drawing 1 amp (120 watts) through 400 ft (one way) of #14 cable, you would be losing 2 watts of power in the cable.

I'm not sure what circuit breakers you would use to guarantee that the current stays as low as you want it.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

There's a lot to be said about the ubiquity and low cost of 120V bulbs, if you need one you can easily get one. I also like the color temp and CRI of the mass-market stuff better, it can be hard to get a decent-looking light (at least that *I* consider decent!) in 12V.

That said, were I doing this myself, and it was for a standalone workshop where I only really need good work lights and I'm not going to spend a lot of time under it, I'd just go with 12V lights and a small-ish AGM battery (size depending on how long I'd be in there).

I've found LED strips in automotive stores that are quite bright, quality of light varies. Some are quite cold and monochromatic but others have been fairly warm and decent. Handily, the brands I've been buying package the LED strips with a pushbutton and small battery pack so I can test them in the package and pick the one I prefer. (These are different brands or versions - they seem to change frequently.) These can be handy if you aren't fussy about looks. Sticky tape on back, long wire off the end. Slap them up and wire together!

I have also bought some nice bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs.com, prices are decent. Of course you'll need bases and mounts. You have to pay attention to color temp, beam width, etc to make sure you get what you want.

I wonder how hot the container gets when left sealed up during the week? Would it be excessive for a battery or operating electronics?

On the system side, you could certainly just set up a separate small system. Battery, PWM controller, solar panel on the roof or nearby. If it gets too hot inside the container, or the battery is small enough not to bother, you could just have a quick-connect for the battery (I use Anderson Powerpoles for my 12V stuff) and carry it out when needed. Recharge at the trailer or even at home. Up to 18-20 AH AGMs are easily hand-carried, a 50AH would be no problem with a carry strap (some have them, some don't). I have a 100AH under my workbench, it has a poly rope carry handle. It's "luggable" but I wouldn't be too keen on carrying it around regularly.
  • BoFuller

I have two containers. One is not vented and gets quite warm inside, but the one with the workshop has two whirlybird vents on top and doesn't get near as warm. Since someone recently stole the battery from our pop-up camper, I could get one that's useable for both purposes and use the quick dis-connects.

Thanks.