Solar Wheelchair Wins Competition

Options
RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
A student team from the University of Virginia School of Engineering won first place in the 2012 World Cerebral Palsy Day “Change My World in One Minute” competition with their prototype design of a solar-powered wheelchair with retractable panels. Seventeen million people worldwide live with cerebral palsy, a group of non-progressive, non-contagious motor conditions that [...] The post Solar Wheelchair Wins Competition appeared first on Solar...

go to solarfeeds for the rest of this story>>>>> solarfeed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA solarfeed?i=hKexYxJL1ds:Z0w1Tv-KWV8:gIN9vFwOqvQ solarfeed?d=qj6IDK7rITs solarfeed?i=hKexYxJL1ds:Z0w1Tv-KWV8:V_sGLiPBpWU solarfeed?d=dnMXMwOfBR0
hKexYxJL1ds

More...

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Wheelchair Wins Competition
    RSSfeed wrote: »
    A student team from the University of Virginia School of Engineering won first place in the 2012 World Cerebral Palsy Day “Change My World in One Minute” competition with their prototype design of a solar-powered wheelchair with retractable panels. Seventeen million people worldwide live with cerebral palsy, a group of non-progressive, non-contagious motor conditions that [...] The post Solar Wheelchair Wins Competition appeared first on Solar...
    The panels can operate the chair at a constant speed of 1MPH indefinitely without batteries. (Well during the day anyway....)

The 1 meter2 of panel looks like it could recharge the battery in about 3 hours, in addition to extending the range on battery plus solar about 40% beyond battery-only range.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    The panels can operate the chair at a constant speed of 1MPH indefinitely without batteries. (Well during the day anyway....)

The 1 meter2 of panel looks like it could recharge the battery in about 3 hours, in addition to extending the range on battery plus solar about 40% beyond battery-only range.
    Neat, but those sharp corners at head level for a standing person look pretty scary!
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

Plus the weight of the panels has to be added to the total weight cability of the chair, or else risk burning out the drive motor prematurely.