Fuse size from charge controller to battery

Options
Canook
Canook Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi- I am totally new to this- I have a xantrex c12 charge controller charging 2 deep cycle rv batteries from a 40 watt solar panel. I will be using it basically to keep the batteries charged in our small trailer- We use Led lights sparingly and the water pump occasionally. Has a fridge and furnace(rarely used). My question is what size of fuse will I need between the battery and charge controller? Also will I be able to run a small dc fan on the trailer circuit, or should I use a connection to the controller? Thank you.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Re: Fuse size from charge controller to battery

Fuses are there to protect the wiring... So, if you have (for example) a 14 AWG wire from the battery to the charge controller, then you would use a 15 amp fuse maximum.

Every wire that leaves the battery should have its own fuse/breaker sized to the wiring/loads.

Note that a 40 watt panel has an Imp rating of around 2.3 amps-- A 5 amp minimum fuse/wiring should be fine. Having short/heavy wire from the charge controller to the battery bank is good. You want low voltage drop (0.05 to 0.10 volt drop recommended maximum). Long/thin wires from the charge controller to the battery bank with high voltage drop can reduce charging performance significantly.

Note that for fusing/wiring, you should only run 80% of rated current for you can pop the fuse/breaker. A 15 amp circuit * 0.80 = 12 amps maximum continuous current.

Using the "Load" terminals on the charge controller is frequently not very useful. They are usually current limited (sometimes as low as 8-10 amps) and the "cutoff" voltage is typically quite low (10.5 volts or so)--At that voltage level, most batteries will be damaged and severely limiting their life.

Your 40 watt panel and two deep cycle batteries (depending on the size of the battery bank -- AH @ what voltage) is not very large... That would typically be used to "maintain" the batteries (float them when the trailer is in storage).

For most people, they would make use of a larger panel (one or two 140 watt panels). Especially if you go for days/weeks of dry camping at a time.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Canook
    Canook Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks, Bill- at present our usage is minimal. Hopefully this setup will keep our batteries full. The default lvd setting is 12.5 and adjustable- as are the 3 stage charging parameters. Tom.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

12.5 volts is pretty high--You could probably set that to 12.0 or even 11.5 volts (especially for "heavier loads") and still be OK.

In the end, if the system is working well for your needs--Then why not continue.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset