Trying to source pole mount piece -- any ideas?

2»

Comments

• PorkChopsMmm
    PorkChopsMmm Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Trying to source pole mount piece -- any ideas?

Oldman -- thanks for the reply. Are you referring to the horizontal pole in the picture? I talked to the mount guy and he is going to make the mount so it takes a 3" horizontal member. I am planning on sourcing 3" tubing -- that way it is even stronger. If you are referring to the vertical 6" pipe -- I plan to try and find 6" schedule 80. That seems to be what other solar manufacturers recommend. Thanks!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Also, I believe it common for tubing sunk into concrete to weld "knobs" (such as welding plates 90 degrees to the tubing surface) on the side of the pipe to prevent it from turning inside the concrete.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • PorkChopsMmm
    PorkChopsMmm Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭✭✭

BB, good call. I have seem some people drill holes through the pipe and insert rebar into it to form an 'X'. That way it can't turn in the concrete. That was going to be my plan but I am open to suggestions if you all have any.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Nothing more really... Keeping things from twisting on "round surfaces" is always difficult.

If you have the room--I kinds of prefer the normal "rack" with multiple footings/cross bracing. The single tube mounting is probably easier for tracking arrays.

But, since I have neither, and don't have experience in high wind areas with solar array--Perhaps some folks here can give you some better suggestions.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset