Installing soon and need a double check on my panel placement and wiring

inthejungle
inthejungle Solar Expert Posts: 91 ✭✭
I am getting ready to install our solar system in the next few weeks and wanted to double check a few things

1- I got out the GPS the other day and pinpointed what our location was like. I am a bit leary of our of our location and what direction to put the panels.

We are located in Liberia, so I am going to put them pretty flat and I think it is best to place them in a southern direction. I have attached a PDF of what I am thinking of doing. Any thoughts would be great.

2- Is there anyone who could just double check my system as I have it drawn and tell me that there are no major problems? Only item not shown on this drawing is a battery disconnect switch on the + line before the T-fuse, just added that.

Only problem I see is the generator, where we are we can not leave this out all day, so I have to put it out run it and put it back. This is a problem with the grounding of the generator any ideas?

Thanks

INJ
In Niger, trying to keep a LG FMA 102NAMA fridge(This has the inverter compressor) backed up with solar using a Victron Multi-Plus Inverter/Charger Compact 12v 1600w with a 70a charger built in.I want to back it up for 4-8 hours. I am also running a few O2 cool fans and a few Thin Lite LED's of my batteries for when the grid is down so my kids can sleep.

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Installing soon and need a double check on my panel placement and wiring

You have 2 different battery banks AH ratting?
  • inthejungle

Sorry, I just realized that myself, I am running Rolls Surrette batteries 2 of them for a total capacity of 400AH, on the array placement sheet, there are not 6 panels, rather 3 panels I am just wondering if a southern direction is the correct orientation then do I place them vertical or horizontal?

Other thoughts on the system that my help to clear up the mud, this system is being run 12v, all of my items being run or charged can charge/run 12v normally. I am going to make a power closest close to the batteries to keep things simple. I have made a shelf that will serve as a dashboard of sorts and am running everything that needs to be charged off a 12v adapter that you would place in the car. I have also found from Blue Seas an adapter similar to a 12v adapter, but with 2 USB ports in it that I will run alongside these adapters to charge my items.

The only items that will be placed a bit away from the system will be the lighting, I have chosen to use Thin-lite LED bulbs because they run anything from 8vDC to 30vDC and I can run #12 if I wanted to and not worry about voltage loss. 1600 lumens on high at .6 amps

Biggest item I am running is a 12v freezer the rest is just charging laptop, a phone or two and an occasional Ipad or Ipod.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your quick response

INJ
    In Niger, trying to keep a LG FMA 102NAMA fridge(This has the inverter compressor) backed up with solar using a Victron Multi-Plus Inverter/Charger Compact 12v 1600w with a 70a charger built in.I want to back it up for 4-8 hours. I am also running a few O2 cool fans and a few Thin Lite LED's of my batteries for when the grid is down so my kids can sleep.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

When in doubt, point 'em South. :D

Okay it doesn't rhyme but it's the default orientation.

The other good news is that the closer to the Equator you are the less it matters: panels go 'flatter' and can gather more light as the sun moves through its arc. (Yes, I do know the sun doesn't move the Earth does.)

I'd say be very careful to calculate Voltage drop for every 12 Volt run; it is greatly affected by wiring resistance and the wire sizes for a given load can need to be very large.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you are nearly on the equator so you can lay them flat. if you tilt to the south then just bring it up about 6 degrees as that is about your latitude and would allow a bit of cleaning off of the pvs when it rains.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Any idea of the draw of the fridge? I assume it is not running a motor.
    What is the heat sink for ? Load?
    What is the heat pad for? Load?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • inthejungle

Thanks for everyone's thoughts- just to double check I will tip these panels facing S, in a horizontal direction. I am going to mount them flat and then just drop them a bit to make a small angle to keep them clean. Does that sound right?

To answer your question about the freezer and such:

Any idea of the draw of the fridge? I assume it is not running a motor.

The freezer is made by Sundanzer, it is the larger freezer at 90F it is expected to draw 532 WHRS

What is the heat sink for ? Load?
    What is the heat pad for? Load?

The heat sink and heat pad are there for the solid state relay which stands as a low voltage disconnect. I wanted to have a way to cut things off when we are not around if the batteries have not been getting a good charge or the voltage is to low and the batteries would get drained. Since I was using the victron battery monitor it has a built in function to do this, but I need to add the solid state to make it work. The nice thing about the victron is that it will monitor not only the voltage and cut it off. Also it will monitor the state of charge meaning how well of a charge has the battery received over the last few days.

I hope that makes sense- thanks again for all of your thoughts

INJ
  • niel
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts- just to double check I will tip these panels facing S, in a horizontal direction. I am going to mount them flat and then just drop them a bit to make a small angle to keep them clean. Does that sound right?

INJ

sounds right to me. the slight 6 degree tipping would allow rain to run off and would be the center average of all of your seasons if one could say that you have them. best collection would occur during the spring and fall equinoxes and the winter and summer solstices are going to be about 23.5 degrees off. it isn't going to be that critical and if say your winter solstice collecting is worse than the summers then you can tilt a bit more in favor of that direction if you would like. the panels will need to be cleaned once in awhile anyway as they will be so close to flat that you can't expect the rains to totally clean it properly. you will be able to judge that as it goes.

just to be sure we are on the same page now when i say flat i mean it would be the same as laying the pv on the ground facing straight up at the sun for the collection face.
  • inthejungle

Thanks again for your thoughts, OK I did one final check today and realized I was a bit off

If I go to the back of my house, standing with the house to my back, I put both my arms in the air like a v, my left hand faces south, and my right hand faces west.

These means that to face it south I would have to mount the panels horizontal and then 45 degrees as well. Sounds like a bit of work!

I would love some thoughts on what to do.

My initial thoughts are to mount the panels in a vertical fashion at the peak of the roof, 6 degrees like we talked about and put it somewhere in the middle of the roof. I have been watching this side of the roof and it gets unobstructed sun all day long. This would put the panels somewhere between S and W.

What do you think?

INJ
  • niel

just put them flat if this is too confusing and a pv laying flat will look like this, _
    a vertical pv looks like this, |
    a pv with an angle will be anywhere in between those 2.
    a vertical pv will collect sun from the horizon while a flat pv will collect from straight above. nobody said anything about a 45 degree angle. you technically do not need to tilt your pvs as those on the equator do get their sun from nearly straight above.

picture you have a piece of plywood of 4x8ft. one side is the back and one side is the front. the front will correspond to the portion of the pv that is the face of it. now let the plywood fall laying flat on the ground with the front facing straight up and is pretty much how you will want the pvs to be. i won't bring up the rest as it seems to be confusing you and this would be satisfactory. what is probably confusing you is that you don't have a concept of where the sun is for the rest of the world to understand our point of view. your sunlight rises almost due east, continues up to overhead at solar noon and falls to set due west. a pv laying flat will catch the majority of the strongest sun around the equator.
  • inthejungle

Thank you so much for your quick replies, I completely understand what you are saying. The problem that I am having is if ideal placement is in a southern direction. When I go to the back of my house, with my back to the house, 45 degrees to my left is South and 45 degrees to my right is West. This means that my house is somewhere in between the two of them.

With that in mind if I laid the panels flat looking like this _
    _
    _

Then they would be off from South, I would then have to take them from this position and move it 45 degrees to get south.

That would take a lot of work, so what I am thinking you are saying is that with that in mind, just lay them flat on the roof, high up around the peak, flat and it should collect all the sun we need?

One other question you may be able to answer, we have been having terrible storms lately and the winds have been really bad. I am afraid these may create a problem with the roof getting ripped of.

All I can get to make a frame to mount with here is

4 pieces of 2x2x 1/4 aluminum angle Iron each piece is 12' long
    2 pieces of 1x2x1 1/8 aluminum channel each piece is 10' long

Any ideas of how best to mount this to the roof with high winds in mind? Do you give a .5 inch gap in between the panels to allow the winds to pass through?

Would you run the panels like this _
    _
    _

or would you even run them like this _ _ _ at the peak running the distance of the house

the panels that I am using are 64.5x 38.7x1.57 weighing 42lbs a piece

Thanks so much

INJ
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

For your panels, they are probably rated at a minimum of 50 lbs per square foot (or metric equivalent) -- That would be ~867 lbs of load per panel!

Those are not insignificant loads--And give you an idea of how strong a structure you will need (i.e., a could of big guys bouncing on the racking for one panel--times how ever many panels you will install).

If your area has morning sun and afternoon thunder storms, then facing towards east may be better. If you get morning fog and afternoon sun, then facing west would be a good idea.

Otherwise, some easterly and some westerly panels will give you the longest number of hours per day to recharge your battery bank--we sometimes call this a "fixed" tracking system. Your batteries will like it. And with today's solar panels lower pricing, fixed trackers may be cheaper/more reliable than building an actual mechanical tracker.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inthejungle

Bill,

Morning fog and afternoon sun is what we get during dry season and I have noticed it slightly the same in rainy season. So a middle of the roof towards west might be best.

I understand what you are saying about the amount of support needed, the house was not built by me and is using 2x6 as the main support rafters. It might be best to mount something on the ground then? The only problem with this is that we have a large problem with things getting stolen. If I did mount them on the ground any ideas on how to secure them?

The other issue is that on the ground, the panels would be in the back of the house, the house is on a grade that goes up from the back of the house 100 feet higher than the house. What I see happening there is that the house will shade the panels until noon when the sun is over head.

It seems that maybe the roof is best, beef up the 2x6's and make an aluminum frame??

What do you think?

Ben
  • BB.

Ben,

I think on the house is going to be best--If you lose the roof, adding panel losses will just add to an already otherwise poor day. :cry:

So--You might end up with a win/win solution. Reenforce the roof and build a strong rack for the array.

Perhaps look at what they do in Tornado and Hurricane alleys... More or less (the little I understand), don't just use "weight and nails" to tie the roof to the walls and the walls to the foundation (if you have one).

Since you cannot probably get Simpson Strong Ties at your local hardware store--Taking strips of tin (from corrugated roof strips pounded flat. Then well nailed after being wrapped (the best you can) at that rafter support to wall supports and down the wall stud. And the wall stud to foundations.

You don't want the loads" to pull the nails/supports out. The sheet metal should hold the loads and the nails should stop the sheet metal from "sliding" and will help contain the wood from splintering.

Perhaps somebody with more knowledge than I can help here.

-Bill "my guess" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inthejungle

Bill,

I agree I think the roof if it gets blown off would make a bad day for sure, but does make the best mounting option. It is interesting that you mentioned simpson strong ties. Someone came to Liberia from the US a few years ago and brought something like this instead of bunk bed brackets. I have about a dozen or more of these. That is a good suggestion! Problem is, what to do with a mud block house, plastered with cement!?

In regards to building a strong rack for the array, any suggestions?

Would you give the panels any space in between to let the wind pass?

Thanks

Ben
  • BB.

I am not sure--Keeping the panels around 3-5 inches from the roof will allow air circulation (hot panels tend to output lower Vmp-array voltages). And if you put them up at 45 degree angle, wind would certainly find it easier to get under them (and provide a "turning moment" or "torque" on the roof--and raising the stresses there).

Plus, leaving the panels relatively close to the roof will keep a "lower profile" for scavengers.

Otherwise, given enough time, energy, and don't give a rip--Solar panels can be stolen. Even big solar farms in the middle of no-where have problems with theft.

You could take a small insulated wire (keep it from being exposed to sunlight/UV if not UV rated wire--insulation may not last for more than a year +/- if exposed) and thread it through the holes in the frame--And connect it to an alarm of some type---When the wire is cut, the alarm is activated (whatever good that is for your place).

I cannot really give you any good answers on framework. Not my field. However, you can sometimes find some good references on the web:

I would go through websites like our host's:

http://www.solar-electric.com/panel-mounts.html

To get some ideas. Iron Ridge used to have some pretty good design documents on their website...

http://www.ironridge.com/products/roofmounting/overview

More or less--You want the mounts you design to not flex/rack/rotate with respect to the panel... I.e., the strength in the system is the racks and structure underneath. The solar panels themselves are very easy to break if they "twist or rack".

Also, Rails that have multiple attachments to the roof (or the ground) are naturally "stiffer" than those mounted on the top of a pole where the wind can cause things to twist around the pipe (think of a long wrench twisting a nut vs a simple framework mounted at the four corners with an "X" cross bracing.

Any, perhaps some folks here can give you some ideas with home made mounts... But you are limited to the supplies you have on had in Africa.

Watch for corrosion between between steel and aluminum... Paint, etc. to keep things from getting wet/corroded between different types of metal will help.

-Bill
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Problem is, what to do with a mud block house, plastered with cement!?
    Definitely hard to retrofit once built. But if you have the opportunity running a rod or cable between the blocks to a horizontal plate that sits partially under a layer of blocks will let the weight of all of the blocks above hold the roof framing down.

If you have to think seriously about wind so strong that it might blow the panels and roof off, then cables from the racking to anchors in the ground might help.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • niel

do not worry about separating the pvs as being up on an angled roof while the pvs are flat will allow air to pass under them and cool them somewhat.

bill's idea of the wire alarm is a good one. sometimes one can buy nonstandard hardware to make it more difficult for a thief to remove the pvs.
  • inthejungle

OK, THANK YOU to everyone for your help, I did a bit more thinking today and relized that the roof is around 6-7 degree slope can anyone confirm from the pics should I use the current slope and face them like this l l l or should I go like this

_
    _
    _

Creating my own mounting solution around the pitch of the roof?

The left arrow is W and the R arrow is South

Thanks

BEN
  • niel

will that face south? or even west as you indicated the weather in the mornings to be not so good? you could do this, but you must have at least a 6 inch clearance between the pvs and roof to allow for pv cooling. now in rereading what you said about 45 degrees, did you mean the roof is facing southwest? you can do it if that's what you meant. it would be angled by 6 degrees facing sw and would gain slightly from the southern and western directions a bit more than the flat pvs. the amount of deviation the 6 degrees presents would not be much to worry about in my opinion and may make it easier for you to mount them being parallel to the roof. raising the pvs higher off of the roof is the challenge here. many here with shingled roofs like something along this line,
    http://www.solar-electric.com/alst6in.html
    i'm not sure if that will fit well onto your roofing arrangement.

are you sure that is only 6 degrees on that roof as it looks steeper?
  • inthejungle

NIEL,

Thanks for quickly responding, today was the day to charge the laptop with the generator( very ready for our panels to arrive)!

Yes that would make the orientation to the SW, what I think I hear you saying is that in this case with the orientation being to the SW, if I wanted to mount directly on the roof like this
    l l l

as long as we gave a bit of clearance that would be OK?

What I am thinking about doing is make a rectangular box with aluminum channel sides so I can slide the panels inside. Then bolt this to the roof

I did double check the angle/pitch of the roof and it maybe closer to 10-15 degrees, I think that I can overcome this by the mount.

Based on what you have said I think that I am going to face the panels towards the SW in a vertical fashion like this l l l rather than flat as that would collect more sun, I will compensate the angle and try to get it close to our lat/lon here which is 8degrees.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks

Ben
  • niel

to be clear you said the roof has an inclination of 6 degrees and if so then the pvs would be mounted parallel to the roof. all that would be needed is a mounting arrangement by you to raise it up to allow for airflow. for visualization it would be more comparable to this,
    =
    the bottom would represent the roof line and the top would represent the pvs. the pvs would not look like this, ||| that would be good for somebody near the north or south poles or during the cold and snowy seasons of those beyond the 40 degrees north or south latitude.
  • inthejungle

Niel,

Thanks- OK that is what I will do, I will lay the panels in this orientation

_
    _
    _

or flat high on the roof, I will put them right up by the ridge and put a standoff down below to keep the 6 degree angle

Thanks for your help

Ben
  • inthejungle

Well I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who helped here are the panels mounted up. Not perfect but they seem to get the job done.

ITJ
  • BB.

"Inthejungle" sent me a very nice PM--I think it is for everyone here:
    Recently I have made many posts about my solar install and I just wanted to tell you thank you so much for your thoughts. I recently finished up the install. In the third world things are not as you would like them to be. I put the panels up, but was not able to make them as flat as I wanted, but we are around 10 degrees L and I think the panels have about the same angle to them. They seem to be giving us great power even with the rains on us for the next 6 months. In the next 6 months we will see 300 inches of rain!!

I was going to try to attach a photo to this message but can't seem to do that, but I will post one on the original thread here

http://forum.solar-electric.com/show...g&goto=newpost

Thanks again for all of your thoughts and help.

Ben

Wow--In our region, we would be thrilled with 30" of rain.

And thank you Ben for your very kind words.

-Bill
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed that RED wire at the roof peak, if it goes through the roof, I hope it has protection from abrasion by the roof during windy times... negative wire needs protection too...

hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • inthejungle

Good catch about the RED wire- I have run the panels in series, with two wire going in the house and the red wire is my ground wire that is going into the house to my ground bar. I jumped from one panel to the next and then to the frame. From the Frame I ran it into the house. From my ground bar I ran one ground rod right below the ground bar 16' into the ground and then 32 feet from that point outside I put another 16" of ground rod into the ground and connected it to the ground bar.
    I tried to run the wire into a 45 degree PVC bell conduit but it was giving me difficulty. So I ran the wire under the roof cap and then wire clamped them to my 2x6. That should be good enough to hold it with winds? Would you agree?

ITJ
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    and the red wire is my ground wire that is going into the house to my ground bar. I jumped from one panel to the next and then to the frame. From the Frame I ran it into the house.
    Not good.... you are inviting lightning into your house. You want to run the ground wire from the panel frames down the outside of the house to a ground rod.
    I tried to run the wire into a 45 degree PVC bell conduit but it was giving me difficulty. So I ran the wire under the roof cap and then wire clamped them to my 2x6. That should be good enough to hold it with winds? Would you agree?

Small movement over time will cause chaffing of the insulation. Of course, you shouldn't be running that ground wire into the house anyway. How do you get the pos and neg from the panels into the house? It's a good idea to have those wires run through a lightning arrester on their way into your house.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • inthejungle

Well this is a heavily debated topic and I am still in discussion with a buddy of mine who helped me design the system. My buddy is is a specialist with lightening and grounding of radio towers. The reason that we choose to do it this way is that lighting is going to come in invited or uninvited. We choose to control the invitation and make is easy for it to get to ground as fast as possible. The other reason is that we wanted all of our system to be at the same potential.

My positive and negative wires come into a varistor like this

http://www.littelfuse.com/part/V131BA60.html

That is our thinking? What do you think?

ITJ
  • BB.

It appears from the little bit I have read---I am guessing that the DC side of the system is fairly lightning resistant. You have big lead acid battery which will clamp at ~14.5 volts and also has a lot of capacitance too (large metal plates pretty close together).

Years ago, our host Windsun, answered that from his experience, it was the AC output of the inverters that was most often damaged during lightning events.

So, while I would always recommend care with the DC side of your system to keep lightning away from it (grounding frames to earth ground rod, grounding the battery negative bus to a ground rod, possibly putting surge suppressors between +/- and earth ground)--It is (in my humble opinion) the AC side that is most vulnerable.

So, surge suppressors on the AC side (at main panel for example) would be a good help. And a good short run from AC neutral to earth ground rod (DC and AC earth ground rods should be the same, or at least, multiple ground rods should have relatively large diameter copper wire connecting them all together--in US 6 awg seems to be good minimum size).

One issue with using surge suppressors to earth ground... Many types of noise/signal injection are "common mode"... I.e., both wires go up and down in voltage at the same time. So, a 120 VAC appliances does not see any more than 120 VAC from wire to wire--which is what it is designed for--But can see upwards of 1,800 VAC from both wires to ground--Which is fine too--Appliances are designed for that sort of common mode voltage).

A possible issue with MOVs/surge suppressors/etc... Is frequently they don't "fire" at the same. What happens is that 1,800 volts of common mode voltage is converted to differential voltage (i.e., one of the 1,800 volt wires is "ground referenced" through the MOV to the safety ground). Now, the two power wires have 1,800 volts across them (instead of 12 vdc/120/240 Vac, etc.)...

So--Not always sure which is the better way of doing this--Leave the cables without surge suppression and don't convert common mode to different energy--Or use surge suppressors to dump the energy before it exceeds the Common Mode ratings.

Having actually experience of multiple hits/failures/survivals would be an interesting data set (not in my area of knowledge).

-Bill :confused:
  • niel

i too have electronics background and am a radio operator. imo you should take the red wire down the outside of the house to the ground point outside of the house (preferably an 8ft copper plated ground rod). the interior ground rod should be eliminated as you don't want to be between the lightning and the ground rod. do run a ground wire from the equipment inside to the exterior ground rod also.