Tall battery box(es)?

Options
porch13
porch13 Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
I will soon be replacing my 2 GC2 size batteries with a pair of Crown 390 Ah batteries (http://www.solar-electric.com/cr395amdecyb.html). I'm having difficulty locating a battery box for them. They appear slightly too large to fit in the dual L16 box sold from Wind&Sun (http://www.solar-electric.com/nosntopbabox.html). They will be stored outside of an RV that's permanently parked and I would prefer a plastic / weatherproof box of some sort. Can anyone point me at a good source for a box? Either one box to hold both batteries or single boxes is fine with me.

Thanks!
Northern Arizona...4050 Watt off-grid system - Outback FP1 - Rolls 605 in a 48V bank

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Tall battery box(es)?

What about those resin 'porch seat' type boxes?

like this 2 feet high
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/3/OutdoorStorage/DeckBoxesBenches/PRD~0600140P/Suncast+Large+Deck+Box.jsp?locale=en

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

how about some quality coolers?
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Options

Lifetime Extra Large Deck box is perfect for a 48V string of L16 batteries. I use two of them myself. Everything from Lifetime is high density polyethylene. Suncast is ok too though I like the Lifetime boxes better. Deck boxes will need to have ventilation added. Suncast GS2000 works good for GC2 batteries - can fit 16 of them in one. Garden sheds aren't as airtight as deck boxes are and they will fit L-16s also. The plastic is lower density on the sheds than on the lifetime deckboxes but will still handle drips (usually from a hydro) and spills (such as overwatering a cell and it dribbling out the cap during EQ or absorption) better than a metal box. GS2000 sheds have more excess room so you may need something to keep the tall L16s from tipping over especially if you have fewer than 8 of them. Excellent fit for 16 GC2 batteries though. I've been told by the SRP inspector that many people don't bother to put their batteries into boxes at all.
  • porch13
    Options

Here is my $15.00 tall battery box solution.
    Attachment not found.
    It's a tub from Walmart, added vents low on both sides and drilled lots of holes up high but still under the sides to keep the rain out. Lastly, painted it white to keep it cooler since the sun may briefly touch it each day.
    Northern Arizona...4050 Watt off-grid system - Outback FP1 - Rolls 605 in a 48V bank
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    Options

Looks cool. If using vents only for hydrogen, they are better up high because hydrogen rises. Also need an entry for inverter cables.
  • porch13
    Options

I drilled several small holes just under the lip of the tub for ventilation at the top. The vents down low are just to allow air to rise for cooling. I'll drill holes for the wires when I actually install the new batteries this weekend. I'll probably just silicone around the wires after I run them.
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    Options

Cool, looks great! Try to use a chase nipple in the wiring drill holes. Will probably need reducing washer for 1" larger due to imprecise fit (2" hole - reducing washer for 3"). My battery boxes because of the double wall with space in between were too thick for regular chase nipples. I don't remember the name of the electrical component he used instead (it was improvised). Regular chase nipples should fit on yours since those storage tubs are single walled.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    porch13 wrote: »
    I drilled several small holes just under the lip of the tub for ventilation at the top. The vents down low are just to allow air to rise for cooling. I'll drill holes for the wires when I actually install the new batteries this weekend. I'll probably just silicone around the wires after I run them.

If you are running your battery cables in conduit, be sure to have it enter the battery box below the tops of the batteries... you don't want hydrogen rising up into the conduit.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

Ya, the battery box problem. Finding one that fits your situation is on off chance. If you do find one made for that purpose - it is big bucks and then has to be shipped. Those plastic tubs won't last long. At least in my hot climate, the PE plastic gets brittle and crumbles after a couple years. And the metal ones are gonna corrode - what a mess. Sometimes, you can get lucky and find a HD tool box that fits.
    My solution is to custom make boxes out of plywood to fit the job with nice lids, vents, whatever you want - its easy and cheap, then line it with heavy plastic, folding it in so there are no seams. Think pond liner. 30 to 50 mils. Put some trim boards along the top edges and staple the liner in place up at the top under the trim. No muss - no fuss.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    solarix wrote: »
    then line it with heavy plastic, folding it in so there are no seams. Think pond liner. 30 to 50 mils. Put some trim boards along the top edges and staple the liner in place up at the top under the trim. No muss - no fuss.

I believe that you can also find acid-resistant paint if you do not want to rely entirely on the plastic liner.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Options

I lucked out and found a couple of welded aluminum boxes at a local salvage yard. Paid $75 each. I will paint the aluminum to prevent corrosion. If you consider an engine compartment on your vehicle usually has a metal hood... it's just paint that's protecting the metal. Ford has been using aluminum for hoods for a while.

I hope to work on this project next weekend, and will post pics.

The goal for me is to get the battery bank outside of the garage. The box will be fairly shaded, and I will put in a couple of louvered vents, and a solar powered muffin fan. The box will be on the opposite side of the wall where my Alt-Power setup is mounted inside the garage. This will keep the battery cables almost the same length as they are now.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

Airplanes are full of aluminum too... Zinc chromate spray paint works well too on well prep'ed aluminum (if that paint is still legal....).

Another thing that was very popular was LPS #3 -- A heavy spray-on grease (LPE #1 is like WD-40--Don't ever use that stuff).

I used to have a small airplane at Half Moon Bay airport--Was a constant job to keep ahead of the salt fogs from the Pacific Ocean.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Anybody tried truck bed liner yet?
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/VehicleAccessories/TruckAccessories/PRD~0478002P/Dupli-Color+Bed+Armor+Truck+Bed+Liner%2C+Quart.jsp?locale=en

Not sure how acid resistant this DIY version is, but the pro-shop stuff seems to be just about everything-proof.
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    I used to have a small airplane at Half Moon Bay airport--

What type of plane?
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

Aluminum box is going to corrode like crazy. Been there, done that.
    The difference is that a battery box is fairly closed and has lots of batteries. An engine compartment has lots of forced ventilation and just one battery. Good luck....
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Options
    solarix wrote: »
    Aluminum box is going to corrode like crazy. Been there, done that.
    The difference is that a battery box is fairly closed and has lots of batteries. An engine compartment has lots of forced ventilation and just one battery. Good luck....

A RAW aluminum box will corrode, a coated one won't. We have a few boats and RVs in FL too, many of those have aluminum and steel boxes too. I worked at a marina for a year, and had 5 batteries on my Class A motorhome. Sealing the metal is important, but far from difficult. Lot of aluminum used on boats in salty environments. Many times they use a product like Sharkhide to seal the metal. http://www.sharkhide.com/mpinfo.html My 24' pontoon boat lived in salt water 24/7. Didn't own a trailer, no issues with the pontoons corroding.

My battery box will have vents and a solar powered vent fan... A 5W panel and a computer muffin fan work great. No battery or voltage regulator needed. I used this setup for years in an attic. I later went with a much larger setup. It now lives in a coworker's shed. Keeps the heat down during the day.

Since the charging, and most of the off-gassing, only occurs during the day, a solar powered fan is a good choice.

fan1163s.jpg

Zinc chromate is great stuff. We use it a lot in the aerospace industry. Usually not available to the general public due to the carcinogen hazards, but I've been able to buy it at an automotive paint shop.

If you were so inclined, you could take a battery box to Line-X, and have them coat it inside/out. I had this applied to my truck bed. Another option would be to have it powder coated. I might also check into that. There's a shop near where I work...
  • porch13
    Options

I'm happy to report that my cheapo battery box works like a charm. All that I have to do now is seal around the wires at the box and the RV.
    Attachment not found.Attachment not found.