L16 battery variants

Options
Desert Rat
Desert Rat Solar Expert Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
I'm shopping for batteries for a new system, and am looking at Trojan L16s. The prices I'm getting on the L16RE-B are significantly more than some of the other L16s. For example, the RE-B costs ~25% more than the L16H, which is rated at 435 AH versus 370 AH for the RE-B. It would seem that the L16H is much more bang for the buck. I would like to hear insights, advice, etc. on your experiences with these batteries.
Thanks!

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: L16 battery variants

I have Trojan RE batteries. They're bigger than L16, but also of RE variety.

They're extremely difficult to charge and require enormously long absorption times or very high absorption voltages. As a result, they need more time and energy to charge and maintain. This pretty much cancels all the benefits that they may have in terms of longevity and durability.
  • northerner
    northerner Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm currently using the Trojan L16HC which are rated at 435 AH. They are working good so far, except that getting the SG up to what they're supposed to be has been a challenge. I'm thinking that perhaps they had been sitting too long, and may not be indicative of the battery itself. I would tend to think that the H with the higher capacity, wouldn't have quite the cycle life as the RE series.

When I bought, I couldn't easily get the RE series, and the sales rep talked me into getting the HC's. I have had them for about a year now, and no problems other than low SG.
  • Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Options

Trojan claims that the "premium" RE line possesses a longer life cycle than the "signature" line (of which the L16H belongs to).
    See their pretty chart attached. I am not sure what to believe. What I do trust is the practical experience from folks on this forum who know how to properly maintain battery banks.

Aside: Interestingly the difference in product line life cycle (between these 2 lines) becomes more pronounced with shallower DOD's.
    Attachment not found.

I have had my Trojan RE batteries (the L16RE's) for, ?, 5 months, so I cant attest to much. However now that I have a much better idea about battery charging I can tell that they are probably pretty happy and working as they should be. They cycle between 95% and 70% chemical SOC with a mini EQ to 100% every 7 to 10 days. NorthGuy [edit] has had challenges charging his (taller?) RE's, but the L16's I have seem to work just like any other L16 (they all seem to need a slightly more "agressive" charge than your typical golf cart battery in order to get them to mix and fizz - whatever that means :-)

If I had more inexpensive & convenient shopping & delivery options I would have probably gotten a different, cheaper starter battery, and counted on 3-5 years of service from them. The L16H or Interstate L16's look like fine batteries.

Instead, I took a gamble on this pricier product hoping that they will give me a few more years of service than the standard L16 (plus I liked the fact that they were only 370AH. This size fit my needs/proposed system, and I did not want to struggle charging a 450AH bank). Given the very high cost of shipping a set of batteries to me this may be a good decision in the long run, time will tell.:roll:
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have 64 L16 REBs'.

Wouldn't have anything else.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Options

If you can get Surrete S-500EX, these have quarter inch plates. Essentially series 5000 plates (use series 5000 cycle chart) in a series 4000 L16 container (single walled, not double walled with individually removable cells; S-460, S-530, S-600). Surrette has specs published but can't find none for sale.

Surrete likes deep cycles. Chart is much flatter than Trojan. It also likes slow discharge - much higher loss of capacity (higher internal resistance) at higher rates of discharge than Trojan.

Series 4000 Cycle Chart - Competes with Trojan Premium / Renewable Energy line; Trojan shows as better at all DOD levels
    ROLLS%20CYCLE%20GRAPH%204000.jpg?1349881336

Series 5000 Cycle Chart - Competes with Trojan Industrial line; Surrette is better than Trojan at 40% or greater DOD
    ROLLS%20CYCLE%20GRAPH%205000.jpg?1349881304