vfx3648 generator charge limit

Options
Ok just got the new inverter went to 48 volt and think I have everything figured out except the inverter charger settings. What aac charger limit or setting and the ac/gen input limit for a Honda eu2000i generator? my system is in the signature I do have the mate and the fndc monitor also no clue if I included enough info in this post!! I also seem to be going right to float instead of any absorb time???

Comments

• Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: vfx3648 generator charge limit

My understanding of the Outback inverters is that when you are charging with a generator, whatever house loads you happen to have at the time are supplied by the generator, in addition to the battery charger load. I don't know what would happen if you were charging at 10AAC and then started some 1500W load in the house, but if I understand it correctly, you would probably overload a 2KW generator.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok just got the new inverter went to 48 volt and think I have everything figured out except the inverter charger settings. What aac charger limit or setting and the ac/gen input limit for a Honda eu2000i generator? my system is in the signature I do have the mate and the fndc monitor also no clue if I included enough info in this post!! I also seem to be going right to float instead of any absorb time???
    You have two limits, the incoming ac breaker size and the charger limit. The Incoming Aac Gen limit should be about 15 Aac. The charger limit can be some where under that, say 12 Aac. That way you have 3 Aac for loads. As you get to the Aac limit the inverter will start cutting the charger Aac back to keep the breaker from kicking out. The charger will cut back to 0 Aac if your loads are large to cut it all the way back.
  • Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting! Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know that it worked that way.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Interesting! Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know that it worked that way.
    Well, that how it's supposed to work. There are times, it and the Honda seem to get confused or the loads come on to fast for them to react. The " GVFX " series will go one step farther and give you " Generator Support " where the Charger reverses and Inverter will give power to the generator for additional loads. Again, not always seamless, but it works.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, that how it's supposed to work. There are times, it and the Honda seem to get confused or the loads come on to fast for them to react.

I have not seen any problems with my outback and eu2000 that couldn't be cured by turning off the eco-throttle on the honda.
    btw, I have my AAC in set to 14. The charger limit depends on your battery bank... if your bank is large enough to handle all 14 amps, then set your charger limit to 14. I find that the outback does a very good job of dropping the charger if a large AC load comes on.

Now, about that eco-throttle. I find that I can leave the eco-throttle turned on when I am bulk charging, but not during absorb. If a large AC load comes on (central vacuum) during bulk charging, the honda is already revved up because of the charger. Later on, in absorb stage with the charge current tapering off, the honda (eco-throttle on) is running too slow to handle the startup load of the vacuum.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Options

I had to limit my inverter to 50 amps DC charging current because with eco-throttle on and the inverter constantly changing the generator load to keep from going over the 22 amp limit (80% of 30 amp breaker), the voltages vary to much and some electronics don't like it (the 2 CRT TVs mainly - they like to just shut off randomly). With unlimited charging can support 55-70 amps of charging current with what is left of generator capacity after subpanel load. Limiting to 50 amps, the voltage is very stead, better than what SRP delivers though the 19" Phillips CRT TV still acts up on generator power for some reason (but the larger one is fine and no issues with the stereo either). I know these numbers because I ran the house off-grid for 2 days prior to commissioning and also I and trying to tweak the system to productively exercise the generator instead of just having it idle during excercise (which makes me more comfortable excercising more than default schedule). A side effect is that if loads are two high (I have the AGS setup to turn on the generator at 15 amps and off at 12 amps of load to prevent a too heavy of a load on the batteries in a grid-down at night scenario), the generator doesn't turn off... I keep eco throttle on on my generator. Lets me run the generator efficiently at partial loads (1500-2500 watts).

Whats wierd, though a different pattern (generator ramps up an down somewhat cyclic at consistent pace with no charger limit and eco-throttle on), grid voltage hovers at 123-125V and then likes to drop suddenly to 116-120V and then climb slowly back to 123-125V, then drop suddenly, and climb back up gradually again. I'm guessing the drop is an air conditioner kicking on in the neighborhood somewhere. This is with the nights in AZ getting warmer and A/Cs running into the night (at my house, the swamp cooler chums happily along sipping a meager 3 amps / 0.35KW keeping the house nice and cool while the A/C at the neighbor pigs up 3-4KW of power chugging and chugging)

I have no charging limits on the charge controllers. Only on the inverter. And no charging from the inverter during the day. Also have generator quiet time setup during the day so they don't interfere with solar production (because I can sell to the grid).
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    generator ramps up an down somewhat cyclic at consistent pace with no charger limit and eco-throttle on ...

I've seen the same pattrn on XW with two different generators and with grid too. When load on the generator approaches 80% of AC1/AC2 Breaker limit, XW starts to oscillate. It does become steady when I have lower charger limit which doesn't let the load on the generator to climb that high.

However, I think this pattern is spcific to XW and shouldn't be the same with other inverters.
  • summitdweller
    summitdweller Solar Expert Posts: 28
    Options

Thank you for the replies I got it figured out. As for the going straight to float my return amps were incorrect.