Temperature compensation and Trimetic 2025 % full

Sparkie
Sparkie Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi guys

First post but long time reader. I did try searching first, I promise, and I've read the manuals!

Will temperature compensated charge voltages affect my Trimetic 2025rv showing fully charged?

I have 475watts of panels on my van, going through a TS45 (pwm), into 300 Amps of agm batteries, monitored by a 2025RV. All has been working fine for 18 months or so. I have recently travelled into the tropics and have encountered daytime temperatures of 35C+ and overnight temperatures of 26C+ for a couple of weeks now. I've noticed that the battery monitor doesn't show 100% during the day. It shows charge % increasing as normal, and then sits at 98% for hours. The green charge light stays illuminated, and doesn't flash to indicate the battery is full.

I'd like to think that the voltage set point isn't being met in the 2025, as the battery has warmed up and the actual charge voltage is lower than the set point due to temperature compensation (which it is). Would that lead the monitor to not think the battery is full as the parameters haven't been met?

Sorry for the noob question; just trying to understand my set up better.

Thanks

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Temperature compensation and Trimetic 2025 % full
    Sparkie wrote: »
    I'd like to think that the voltage set point isn't being met in the 2025, as the battery has warmed up and the actual charge voltage is lower than the set point due to temperature compensation (which it is). Would that lead the monitor to not think the battery is full as the parameters haven't been met?

Welcome to the forum Sparkie,
    your thinking is correct. Your charger has temperature compensation and is (quite properly) reducing the charging voltage. The trimetric doesn't know about this, so it never sees its criteria being met.

I have the opposite problem. My batteries get cold in the winter which raises the charging voltage. I have my absorb voltage set to 29.6, but with temp compensation it is often at 30.4 volts. If it is holding at 30.4 and a cloud comes along, the voltage may drop to 29.6 (with a corresponding reduction in current). The trimetric doesn't know that the absorb voltage should be 30.4, and thinks that 29.6 with low current means that the battery is fully charged.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Sparkie
    Sparkie Registered Users Posts: 3
    Re: Temperature compensation and Trimetic 2025 % full
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum Sparkie,
    your thinking is correct. Your charger has temperature compensation and is (quite properly) reducing the charging voltage. The trimetric doesn't know about this, so it never sees its criteria being met.
    --vtMaps

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the info! I was hoping that was the case, but its nice to know for sure.