Forum Software Strangeness when Editing?

Vic
Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
This question does not fit any of the Topics, as it does not directly apply to Solar ...

But, has anyone else noticed that when Editing a previous post on this Forum, that there are parts of sentences repeated only on the edit screen, and disappear then the edit is "saved"?

I used to remove these things that kinna appear to be edit widows, only they are not, and they disappear anyway. Have seen this on two different computers, each running Win 7.something.

This IS a great Forum, and this Forum software has features that have not seen on any other Forum, so not really a complaint.

I did copy part of a post that showed this effect from a recent edit session, but after pasting it into this post the redundant pharses were missing ...
Mabe I am just nuts!? Anyone else notice this? Thanks. [Will delete this post later]. Thanks, Vic
Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Forum Software Strangeness when Editing?

Cannot say I have seen that happen... Is this a "refresh" / video artifact, or can you actually highlight/copy/paste those fragments?

There is, in the upper left corner of the edit window an A/A button... It flips between pure text (with BBS tags) and a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor.

On my Android phone, the WYSIWYG "ON" really confuses the heck out of the browser (can't figure out where the cursor is, cannot move it in a sane manner, etc.). I do my phone editing with WYSIWYG "OFF" and it is much easier to edit (still not perfect, but what is on a 3x4 inch touch screen device).

Separately, there is an "AUTO SAVE" feature for posts--It seems to work about 1/3rd the time for me (Firefox on Windows 7, Windows XP, etc.)... When it works--it has saved me many times.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic

OK Bill, Thanks. Yes I can higlight sentences with these fragments in them, but when trying to paste them into the window for a new post, they are mpt there.

Usually for me, the AutoSave works great, and saves the day. For you, with your very meaty posts, this must be a big help when it works.

Farily often have two instances of IE open at the same time ... perhaps that might have something to do with it. Will play around with some variables.

If the posts that I make were better when first posted, the need for Edits would be reduced. Thanks, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Vic wrote: »
    OK Bill, Thanks. Yes I can higlight sentences with these fragments in them, but when trying to paste them into the window for a new post, they are mpt there.

Usually for me, the AutoSave works great, and saves the day. For you, with your very meaty posts, this must be a big help when it works.

Farily often have two instances of IE open at the same time ... perhaps that might have something to do with it. Will play around with some variables.

If the posts that I make were better when first posted, the need for Edits would be reduced. Thanks, Vic

I would avoid having two browser windows in your two IE instances open to the forum at the same time. There does not seem to be a problem with having multiple tabs or windows open in one browser instance, as will happen if you click on a link to another thread.

The only repeated text I ever see during replies or edits is when a link contains the same displayed text as the URL itself. I keep wysiwyg off anyway and use the Preview feature from Go Advanced if I want to see exactly now it will look.

But I only use Safari, Firefox and Chrome. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭

Happens often to me too. The ends of the lines are often doubled at the beginning of the next line in the editor. Cannot reproduce that right now, but if it happens, I'll make a screenshot.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    This question does not fit any of the Topics, as it does not directly apply to Solar ...

You could post it in the Solar Forum News and Announcements forum, perhaps in this thread:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?9705-Feedback-to-naws-on-the-forum

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Vic

Ok, Thanks, all for the tips.

Seems that it is not at all common for the vast majority of users of this Forum -- only NorthGuy and I seem to have seen it.

vt, well seemed to me that it was neither News, nor an Announcement.

Think will delete this (if I can) tomorrow, as it seems to be mostly in my court.

Thanks again, Vic
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Seems that it is not at all common for the vast majority of users of this Forum -- only NorthGuy and I seem to have seen it.

Looks like a bug in Internet Explorer to me.