Xantrex STXR 2500 UPG Sun Tie XR inverter

Options
:confused:
Hi everyone.
The inverter converts solar power into utility grade power that can be used by the home or sold to the utility company and it was priced at $3,000.00 in 2003,
This inverter had mosfets and its drivers burned out and was given to me from someone.
I replaced those components and would like to test it to see if the mosfets and drivers like their new turf.
There is a way to turn it on,1, 2, 3 steps.
1st 100amp single pole DC breaker, 2nd 100amp 2 pole DC breaker and 3rd 2 pole 15amp AC breaker which is tied to the live 220/240 ac volts in the house main breaker.
Since I don't have solar panels, I have a few of options.
Hook up 4-5 car batteries since it needs at least 50 volts DC or so the inverter senses some activity or turn it on in steps 1, 2, 3 w/o solar panels or batteries.
The question is if the inverter would be exposed to some danger if I do it either way?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Xantrex STXR 2500 UPG Sun Tie XR inverter
    solarer wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    The inverter converts solar power into utility grade power that can be used by the home or sold to the utility company and it was priced at $3,000.00 in 2003,
    This inverter had mosfets and its drivers burned out and was given to me from someone.
    I replaced those components and would like to test it to see if the mosfets and drivers like their new turf.
    1st 100amp single pole DC breaker, 2nd 100amp 2 pole DC breaker and 3rd 2 pole 15amp AC breaker which is tied to the live 220/240 ac volts in the house main breaker.
    Hook up 4-5 car batteries since it needs at least 50 volts DC or so the inverter senses some activity or turn it on in steps 1, 2, 3 w/o solar panels or batteries.
    The question is if the inverter would be exposed to some danger if I do it either way?
    Thanks in advance.
    You can fire it up on 9V transistor batteries in series or with a power supply. If it doesn't show a fault, go from there. I'v fired them up on battery chargers before. it also depends on the inverter, some of them load a capacitor and require more current to fire up.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    solarer wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    Thanks in advance.

I assume that you have a copy of or access to the Xantrex manual?

They give the normal start up sequence as first the AC breaker, then the single gang DC (panel +) breaker and then the GroundFaultDetection (panel - to ground) breaker. By your labeling, that would be 3, 1, 2.

I would be very reluctant to power the DC input directly from a battery because that is a "hard" voltage source and an attempt by the inverter to do an MPPT sweep could pop a breaker or even damage the inverter.
    If you must drive it from a battery, you need to put some form of current limiting (resistor, 50+ volt light bulb, etc.) in series between the battery and the inverter.

Other than that caution, I cannot advise you on what would or would not be safe or would not damage the inverter, including all of the new parts you have put in.
    If you do not know what caused the original catastrophic failure, there is the possibility that some component other than semiconductors failed or became disconnected, opening a feedback loop or removing a control voltage from the driver circuitry.

But starting off with a strictly limited supply current will be safer than using an input capable of full power. The unit was designed to start working when the input voltage threshold is reached, even if the power (current) available is still very low, as it would be as first light hit the panels.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

welcome to the forum,
    i don't think the batteries idea is a good one. maybe look up a local installer and give him a call and ask him if he is willing and if he has access to some pvs or other equipment that the inverter can be checked with be it at his place or maybe an install nearby. i don't think he'd bring the pvs to you for this trial.
  • solarer
    solarer Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you all for reply. I am calling tomorrow service here to see if I can hook it to their panels. They should have some for testing.
    Inetdog is also right about the start-up sequence. I actually downloaded not knowingly 2 pdf manuals where both are describing in "standard features" the Sun sweep mppt. The difference in both manuals is the first page where the picture of the inverter is, one is showing the Sun Sweep logo. This manual has the sequence described by Inetdog.
    The other manual has only the Xantrex Sun Tie XR writing with the picture of the Inverter but the sequence of start-up is 3-1-2 as Inetdog described as my labeling. Apparently they manufactured slightly different types I think but since my type is with the SunSweep logo on side of the unit I have to go by that. What I remember I was told by the previous owner that some electrician turned the Inverter on in wrong sequence when the utility power was turned on after they purchased the home. He probably was trying to help but didn't know very much about inverters. If that was the main issue with the inverter, I guess I should be OK except they tried to fire it up more times causing more damage? I noticed on those legs from damaged mosfets fire ants fried in between and bridging between legs. I don't know how much an ant is conductive to 240 volts with guts filled by acid and who knows what else but apparently it killed them in their circus exercise. So there are 2 choices: fire ants or the electrician.
    Thanks again.