Sources for hot-dipped galvanized slotted angle, strut channel

While the big box hardware stores sell plenty of zinc-plated slotted angle iron and strut channel, hot-dipped galvanized and stainless are more elusive. Where would one go in the Phoenix metro area to buy something more suitable for solar installations?

Comments

• northerner
    northerner Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Sources for hot-dipped galvanized slotted angle, strut channel

Have you considered using aluminum angle and plate? I used aluminum for my project (a tilting) array and worked out well. I don't know about slotted though? Aluminum is easy to cut and work with however.
  • Sparkletron
    Sparkletron Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭✭

I used aluminum angle with a small 10W mount for testing purposes. The only downside is drilling precise holes since it doesn't come pre-slotted. Also the big box stores only sell the thinner gauge, and when you order the thicker stuff online, you have to spend a lot of time cleaning it (I use Goof Off).

Where would I get aluminum strut channel?
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Where would I get aluminum strut channel?

Try looking at local electric supply stores. Some of them sell unistrut. However, this is probably more expensive than aluminum angle that you can buy at a local scrapyard.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Certainly Electrical Supply houses, as NG mentions, can order the more exotic forms of Strut. UniStrut does list SS, and HDG. Have not looked at weather the slotted variety is offered in these. Many of these resellers will not stock the less common varieties, but should be able to order it for you, and if you can wait for their normal stocking order of other items, often there is no extra freight charged.

It is handy to use Strut, due to the holes/slots being already stamped into the material, although aluminum is fairly easy to drill. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Sparkletron
    Sparkletron Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭✭

I think if I can figure out how to create a jig for drilling consistent holes then aluminum would be preferable. I have noticed that aluminum standoffs are way cheaper than standoffs designed for angle iron.
  • 72puma
    72puma Registered Users Posts: 5
    I think if I can figure out how to create a jig for drilling consistent holes then aluminum would be preferable. I have noticed that aluminum standoffs are way cheaper than standoffs designed for angle iron.

try , g-p llc strut channel , i have used there products. they have hot dipped galvanized.
  • pechan
    pechan Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭

Try these out they work with regular strut.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bline/Resources/Library/submittals/Solar/WEEB_Submittal_Package.pdf
  • Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Howdy Sparkle,
    What's the project? I presume panel mounting.

If you have a challenging time sourcing galvanized strut perhaps you can still use that easy to find non hot-dipped, zinc strut. I have about 6 zinc struts painted with zinc chromate that have held up well (no rust at all) in humid, wet locations. Caveat: If you plan to use non-aluminium strut for panel mounting you will have to isolate it from other materials (like the panels) that would cause galvanic corrosion. It's a bit of a pain (I wish I could have used aluminium strut - too expensive to ship it in), but you can make it work.
    -SP
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.