Inverter cable

Puppel
Puppel Registered Users Posts: 4
Purchased 2/0 cable for battery to inverter hookup . Used same size as battery cables . 3/8 eyelet is large compared to inverter post . How to hook up? Inverter is 800w Cobra model.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Inverter cable

The ol' "eyelet is loose on the stud" problem.

Flat washers of the correct size for the stud, one on either side of the eyelet. This should tighten down on the eyelet sufficiently to create a solid connection.

If there's not enough room between the studs to get the big lugs on you'll have to put in a short transition wire: bolted 3/8" on the large cable and 5/16" (probably) lugs on the other end to fit the inverter studs. Make sure the connection between the two is well insulated and very tight.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

Yep, had the same issue with mine.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

I didn't need a washer on the back of the lug since it had a wide enough surface for the lug to rest against.

Also had to do the same thing with the fuse blocks.

Attachment not found.

A full load (200A+ at 12V) was applied to the inverter, and all connections and wires were monitored for heat. No problems.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

The bigger challenge comes when you try to use a 3/8" lug on a 5/16" battery post. If you put the lug on a combination post battery and do not use a washer on the post bolt first of the correct size and on the top of the lug of the correct size, you can pull the lead and bolt out of the battery post. As you tighten the the nut the lead will squeeze into the empty space around the bolt and the nut will not tighten. I use copper washers of the correct size , some here use SS flat washers.