Philips has developed an LED lamp that it describes as "the world's most energy-efficien

waynefromnscanada
waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
The prototype tube lighting produces 200 lumens per watt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22106718

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Philips has developed an LED lamp that it describes as "the world's most energy-effi

cool, but i wonder if they will double the price for it?
  • waynefromnscanada
    Re: Philips has developed an LED lamp that it describes as "the world's most energy-effi

Probably, then wonder why sales are so low.
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

but like all electronic things the price will drop like a rock in about a year after it hits mainstream
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

that hasn't exactly happened with LED lamps, yet. The same 4W LED MR16s that cost me $13 two years ago, haven't dropped, but they have been the longest lasting 12V products so far
    john p wrote: »
    but like all electronic things the price will drop like a rock in about a year after it hits mainstream
  • waynefromnscanada
    bmet wrote: »
    that hasn't exactly happened with LED lamps, yet. The same 4W LED MR16s that cost me $13 two years ago, haven't dropped, but they have been the longest lasting 12V products so far

Actually that's what I've been noticing here too. Moreover, puzzling to me, is that stores with older, high priced, stagnant stock, instead of dropping the price to sell them off, remove them from the shelves and replace them with newer high priced models that also just sit there. What's the thinking behind that?
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually that's what I've been noticing here too. Moreover, puzzling to me, is that stores with older, high priced, stagnant stock, instead of dropping the price to sell them off, remove them from the shelves and replace them with newer high priced models that also just sit there. What's the thinking behind that?

When they remove them from the shelves they get to write off what they initially paid for them as a loss. And they no longer have to pay inventory tax on the original value.
    Why they replace them with newer, more expensive models? Probably because someone thinks that those are more likely to sell. Whether that is correct decision or not, time will tell.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.