Sunnovations Launches Monitoring Tools for Solar Water Heating

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
body-sunnovations-launches-monitoring-tools-for-solar-water-heating.jpg A Virginia startup is launching a monitoring system that it says will not only enable homeowners keep track of the performance of their solar water heaters but also help states craft more effective incentives for installing those systems.

More...

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Sunnovations Launches Monitoring Tools for Solar Water Heating
    RSSfeed wrote: »
    A Virginia startup is launching a monitoring system that it says will not only enable homeowners keep track of the performance of their solar water heaters but also help states craft more effective incentives for installing those systems.

Interesting idea. I do not like the buzzword use of "integrated enthalpy sensor" for what appears simply to be a temperature sensor that determines the average temperature of the tank from top to bottom. (Or maybe even the temperature at multiple selected points along the height??). Enthalpy has a more complex connotation when used with air, where the humidity as well as the temperature must be known. I think that the humidity inside the tank is 100% everywhere (and no air either.)
    From the temperature distribution information you can calculate the total heat content of the tank. And by looking at the temperature distribution you can theoretically tell whether any added heat is coming from the electric heat or from the solar loop.

I would definitely be interested in knowing more about it, especially what additional information about tank dimensions and solar loop flow rates you are required to enter into the system during registration. There is no way it can do what is claimed entirely from the readings collected, without some additional information from the user.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.