Charging / maintaining Surrette S-460 batteries

Options
westbranch
westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
A friend wants to set up a small PV only system and is looking at some S-460 batteries. Do these suffer from the same startup problem as the S-530 that we have discussed a couple of times? that is the need for a 'beefy' charge at set up and regular good discharging to break them in so to speak? also good (long) absorb times.

the system is wanted for a computer work station in a cabin, using satellite internet, on for 5 or more hours a day, a couple of lights. She is adamant about not wanting more lights, "I have propane lights and fridge"... and NO TV!

TIA

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
West Chilcotin, BC, Canada

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Charging / maintaining Surrette S-460 batteries

Only my opinion, but all batteries need to be fully charged before use to their proper SG equal across all cells, and need to be discharged and recharged a few times before maximum capacity is actually available.

Surrettes in general have fairly high Voltage requirements. Also an increasingly worrying performance record. Not to mention the premium price. These are 350 Amp hour batteries, tall case. Going to need good recharging power.

Got a figure on power use? I don't have to tell you that comp & satellite can use as much as a full-size refrigerator in kW hours. The lights are the least of it.
  • westbranch
    Options

Hi Marc, friend has a first draft of a proposed system from a local supplier, and she knows we had a PV system at the cabin for a few years.
    So in our first chat I recommended GC's, since this is her first set (early death a hi probability) vs high priced, hard to charge Surrettes, which can die just as fast. One brochure from the RV dealer has AGM batteries, 'Will these do?' Uh, Uh, even more temperamental than Surrettes IMHO.
    Also did the 'loads grow' talk... and the need for as precise an estimation of loads for the actual electronics she will use, ISP to be determined. She is diggin' up the dirt for numbers.
    To be continued.

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

agms can work, but as a first instal they are expensive to lose too. not all agms are the same either. cheaper fla type batteries are good to start off with as you get a cheaper battery to learn on. mistakes are then less costly. after the trial by fire is done and these give out hopefully at least in 3-5yrs then they know what did/did not work or what may be needed as there may be an expansion done to better accommodate larger loads.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi wb,

If the GCs have sufficient capacity that would seem a good choice, as you noted -- a Starter Bank.

Load info, as you well know is a great place to start.

(A parenthetic note;
    I have been a member of several Solar Forums, and just have not seen any data regarding Surrette FLA Lead Antimony -- the most common of their RE batteries -- needing high charge voltages, long Absorption times, or having a "worrying performance record". Just NO DATA.

One member here has a Lead Calcium T12 batteries that seems to be a Marine battery, and for RE use DOES need very very high Vabs, then there was member - terrynew - IIRC, who was in Canada, had about 5% or battery C for a PV array. For him, Surrette replaced TWO battery banks ON WARRANTY, plus several more batts replaced in that third bank. He may have had to pay some freight, but this really seems to be above and beyond performance by Surrette. And he seemed to be unable to charge these batteries, not really a Surrette problem, IMHO.

Have heard that VolvoFarmer had some problem with Surrettes, but this was second hand ... do not know the details. There was that chap in Hawaii who had a new 4KS25 Surrette tip over in a pickup in transit to his location, but, that does not seem to be Surrette's problem.

For the three Surrette banks here right now, the nominal Charge voltage is 57.6, or [14.4 V for a 12V bank] ... not high to me. This had been about 58.1 for the Winter months, but cranked it down a month or so ago. These voltages are right in line with what is speced. Absorption times depend upon DOD, as you would expect. Have not taken data, but if one removes 150 AH from the batteries, it will take hours to return that, but nothing whatsoever extraordinary at all there either.

Surrette does recommend an inspection of a new bank when it arrives, a full charge, check/record term V, electrolyte level, etc and a Comissioning EQ, as do a number of manufacturers. Alll of these recommendations are in the Surrette FLA/AGM Battry Manual.

The "C" bank is S-530 that are not heaveily used, and are almost eight years old, and also needs 14.4-ish V/12V for Vabs. Been very good batteries. All of the Surrette banks here have been in service for about 7.5 years ... knock knock, and doing fine.

Surrette ships a lot of batteries, and IF there were a very large problem at all, bet that we would hear of it here. A distant neighbor recently replaced her 8 or-more year-old S-460s or S-530 with S-530. The new ones are performing flawlessly with nothing different from the previous dual-string 48 V banks.

Am very, very happy with my Surrettes. They need NO extraordinary attention or maintenance. I do not understand just where some of these feelings about Surrette come from. Surretts has given me teriffic service, and they are easily available on the phone or via e-mail for questions or to help reslove problems.

The above is just based on my personal experience. Sorry to beat THIS drum, but in fairness to this manufacturer who has done a great job for me, feel that some DATA might help. Thanks! Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • westbranch
    Options

thanks for the comments guys.
    Vic, having read the comments about the (relatively straight forward) 'start-up' issues for a new bank of Surrettes I am beginning to believe they are not going to be a good fit at all for this individual for a couple of reasons.
    In our discussions so far, she did make a comment about "I don't want to be a solar expert, I just want it to work" ie plug -n-play. Nor does she have the physical ability to heft the batteries either, she can only walk with a cane.
    The GC-2 's would be better all around, no decision yet about voltage, so she can go either way 12 or 24V, if needed for capacity.
    More later...

• Vic
    Options

Hi wb,

Well, you know the user best, AND if she could get by with (ideally a single) string of GCs, seems llike a no brainer to me.

As you well know, unless a good battery dealer is involved, the Surrette recommendations for comissioning a new bank are what generally should be done with ANY FLA bank. It took about one month on my first Surtrette bank for me to get down to doing the first EQ. All of these banks were drop-shipped directly from Surrette in NS, so they were only about 10 days old at time of arrival, and had not been sitting around in some shop. Like most recommendations, they often do not need to followed exactly ... and so on.

Anyway, if she could be on the Grid, that is the less fuss, also as you know. All the Best, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • victoradjei
    victoradjei Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options

Hi Vic,

I am planning to share my experience with one month old Surrettes shipped Fromm Germany to me in Ghana but I think I should chip in a quick one here.

After the commissioning charge I found one of my 24v 4ks25 Surrettes always below the rest in both sg and voltage so I searched the forum and found a post about lose bolts. When I checked mine the internal bout connecting the cells was more than four turns lose! And even the ss bolt was blackened maybe by arcing. I tightened it and checked ALL the remaining internal bolts. Found and tightened a few more slack bolts and now my sg's are within spec.

This was done last Friday and so far am a happy puppy :D Looks like these lose bolt are the underlying cause of our headaches with Surrettes.

I hope this helps others. This is the link to the thread. www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthread.php?8346-battery-dead-cell-question-Rolls
  • Vic
    Options

Hi victor (nice name!),

Thanks for the info. I must have seen that thread, but have no memory of it. On the second bank of 4KS25's I did pop all of the covers and check the torque for the bolts that strap the two cells together in each battery. None of them were loose, but two of them did take about one eighth turn, so they had relaxed a bit. Have not ever checked any on the other bank of 4KS25s. I really should look at both again. We do look for temp rise during heavy charging at about 125 A DC, and do not see any extra temp rise at the center of the cover where this strapping occurrs.

It is great that you found that Thread, and found the problem.

I very much like the ability to connect to individual cells if the need arises (by simply removing the top cover, and also to be able to change individual cells if/when it becomes necessary.

Good luck with your Surrettes, IMHO, that is a fine battery and looks like a fine system as well. Thanks, Vic