600ft deep well, how to set up for solar water pumping

dick
dick Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello, I am open for all suggestions how to do this. My goal is to be independent of use gas or any type of fuel or grid. I do have an existing 240v soft start well pump with 615ft rise to water storage
( 4300 gal ). I have an 1 1/4" pipe to surface with a 5" casing.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: 600ft deep well, how to set up for solar water pumping

Welcome to the forum.

To get the thread rolling; what powers it now? Do you have utility service or are you running a generator?
    If you've got utility power, what are you looking to replace it with and why? Usually grid power is cheaper than any other option.

Otherwise it would be a matter of the current draw and Watt hours consumed and setting up an inverter/battery bank/solar array that could supply that. Another option would be replacing the pump with a direct-from-solar driven unit. None of this would be cheap.
  • dick
    dick Registered Users Posts: 2

As of now I power the pump with a 6000 watt yamaha generator. I have no utility service. I do have an existing solar set up for my house, that works great for the last 8 years. I am looking to replace the generater use because I am getting ready for armageddon. When there is no fuel available or grid power. I am looking to install an underground bunker also. I am almost 100% self sufficient. 40 acres with pigs, chickens, garden, goats etc. Also I want to mention I have #8/4 wire running from the pump to surface. All existing stuff can be replaced, to except new way of pumping water. If solar does not work I will look into windmill. We do not get much wind here .Money is not my main concern, being self reliant is. I have been researching the solar Part and I am confused. People talking about VRD,solar direct, no batteries. I would only pump during sunny hours. I have enough water storage to get me by for weeks.The speed of the water coming in is not an issue. After storage all my water is gravity fed over the 40 acres and house. With a 12 volt rv pump at house.
    Welcome to the forum.

To get the thread rolling; what powers it now? Do you have utility service or are you running a generator?
    If you've got utility power, what are you looking to replace it with and why? Usually grid power is cheaper than any other option.

Otherwise it would be a matter of the current draw and Watt hours consumed and setting up an inverter/battery bank/solar array that could supply that. Another option would be replacing the pump with a direct-from-solar driven unit. None of this would be cheap.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    dick wrote: »
    I am getting ready for armageddon
    <snip>
    All existing stuff can be replaced, to except new way of pumping water.

If you're willing to replace the pump then Cariboocoot's suggestion is the best way to prepare for the end:
    Another option would be replacing the pump with a direct-from-solar driven unit. None of this would be cheap.
    And of course, 'cheap' and 'expensive' will be meaningless when the end comes.

By the way, I would be much more worried about a supernova than Armageddon... the supernova is more likely to mess up your solar array.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Probably the ideal method--A Grundfos SQ-Flex type pump (probably north of $2,000).

The pump has an electronic front end that can take anything from 30 VDC to 300 VDC or 90-240 VAC (solar panels, battery bank, AC utility/generator power). And they have pumps that will go upwards of 800' of lift.

If your pumping requirements include a fair amount of water use, a solar array + DC Pump can be a very nice solution. Just a solar array, small pump controller, and pump is all you need. No batteries or generator to maintain/monitor (except for backup power--and pump is very off grid power friendly--no huge surge currents). Pump will move water when there is enough sun on the panels and pump all day until sun sets (variable flow rate, depends on sun at that moment). Or, will shut down when the float/switch indicates that tank is full.

And use a smaller (ac or dc pump) to pressurize your home from the cistern.

There alternatives... I have seen some setups that use motors designed for solar use (again PM motor and electronics package) that connect to rods that a wind turbine would normally use... If you prefer your electronics at the well head, and the "simple" mechanical pump parts at the bottom, that can work too. I Believe that Sun Pumps could offer that sort of motor/drive package (you may have to source/make the linkage and gear box drive).

-Bill

We have some posts here about PumpJacks (i.e., similar to oil well pumps with the beam between the motor and the well head). Another possibility.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭

Grundfos SQ Flex, sized to your pumping level and water requirements. Run at least 90+ volts to the pump using 3-series tied ~30V panels. I also use Lorentz pumps, which do not necessarily require the higher voltage. It all depends on what your situation is.

How much solar do you have now? You might be able to just incorporate your existing "soft start" pump with your current system, if you can get a big enough inverter.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Thank you for reminding me Tx Wellman--Yes, the SQFlex pumps are more efficient at >90 volt DC input.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭

The SQ Flex will run on lower voltages but the efficiency suffers.

Lately I have been installing the Lorentz PS-150 with 1-single ~180-200 watt panel. With higher water levels (less than 20 ft pumping level) they will make excess of 8 GPM open flow. If I need higher voltages I would go with smaller, probably 100 watt panels. I did do one 3-panel 180watt (x3) set-up. 90+Volts and almost 600 watts of available solar. It did better than 12 GPM open flow.

I had a customer with 200VDC on a grundfos that made 20+GPM open flow also.